• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That is so cool. Thanks, Kuda. Now I know for sure - I hope they have a tram for us to take the tour in. That is one big plant! :) Z

'That is one big plant!' Says Z!!
Not to Worry Z, I gatta plan with No walking. Could you stand up to National Acclaim as being the Spokesperson for Elio?
As you are accepted here as the Den Mother of the Elio movement, we could support you as the National Spokesperson for the Elio. Here is a way to do that.
Here's where it could start. with proper Press coverage.
I'll bring the Harley to Shreveport, when your Elio is ready for pick up, you ride on the back, around the plant two or three times while the rest are walking the tour. Then we ride up to the check out window, where you state 'Where's my Elio?' instead of 'Where's the Beef?'
You'll have to Look the part with black jeans, chaps, leather jacket and boots, Maybe a Elio Doo rag and a Elio emblem on your leather jacket. I would Bet, every Harley owner and anyone that Loves their Independant Mother/Grand Mother, in the country would pick up on that.
You would be a Rock Star, over night.
It might take you awhile to get back home, with all the National appearances you would have to make.
Could it Happen??? Who knows??lol

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
'That is one big plant!' Says Z!!
Not to Worry Z, I gatta plan with No walking. Could you stand up to National Acclaim as being the Spokesperson for Elio?
As you are accepted here as the Den Mother of the Elio movement, we could support you as the National Spokesperson for the Elio. Here is a way to do that.
Here's where it could start. with proper Press coverage.
I'll bring the Harley to Shreveport, when your Elio is ready for pick up, you ride on the back, around the plant two or three times while the rest are walking the tour. Then we ride up to the check out window, where you state 'Where's my Elio?' instead of 'Where's the Beef?'
You'll have to Look the part with black jeans, chaps, leather jacket and boots, Maybe a Elio Doo rag and a Elio emblem on your leather jacket. I would Bet, every Harley owner and anyone that Loves their Independant Mother/Grand Mother, in the country would pick up on that.
You would be a Rock Star, over night.
It might take you awhile to get back home, with all the National appearances you would have to make.
Could it Happen??? Who knows??lol

I know and it could!!, she deserves it!!!

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In the article, they say,...." In endurance tests on our test benches, new engines must show whether they can cope with the stress and strain they will face in everyday practice – in most cases, the test programs last between 50 and 2,500 hours and not only take place on our fully automatic test benches but also at external partners."
So, "between 50 and 2,500 hours" = from 2 days to 3 months.

And they mention using "oil analysis" to chart wear. This and other tests can be very accurate in predicting "end of life" for individual components.

Thanks Kuda, for posting!
You DO take good notes!

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
so far the info that has been released indicates there is only one at this time

Jim

One at a time for proof of concept.
Then there are several paths.
Make the block work right, then swap out certain parts.
Then a low rate of production to prove the line and test Quality Control.
Then modifications to make assembly easy and fast.
Just because you can make it easily, doesn't make it easy to work on. There will be maintenance testing to keep you from needing to remove an engine mount to change the spark plugs or remove the exhaust to change the oil.
Anyone notice that regular valves were in the prototype? The fancy dual throw valves and camshaft may happen early in production, or may be discarded.
A lot of "what works" experiments will occur with each component.
Remember the plasma spray lining?
Possibly testing a steel sleeve, just in case. It helps to have a back up plan.
Long term testing will also watch for coking, oil sludge, startup and operation in extreme hot or cold conditions.

Finally, there is likely engineering to make the engine easily mod-able.
I see how much some of you knuckleheads want to mod this thing.
That's called an "opportunity".

I tend to rant......

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Anyone notice that regular valves were in the prototype? The fancy dual throw valves and camshaft may happen early in production, or may be discarded.

Remember the plasma spray lining?
Possibly testing a steel sleeve, just in case. It helps to have a back up plan.

it was announced a short time ago that the first test would be run with regular valves and steel sleeves in the pistons .... I don't recall any explanation or additional comments being released

Jim

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
TY
That is why I posted "Crazy Numbers".
Use your numbers and calculate what ever you want.
Oh, I know that. There are some who may not realize that though. I didn't mean anything to you. MajorXx replied to your number post as if the numbers were real and I didn't want to let that go. Next thing you know, people would be calling Elio dumb for requiring a high revising engine at 55.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The point I was trying to make is; If the engine runs the way we all hope it will it will be more than a few days before we hear the results.
It seems like the point was lost. Sorry
You are probably right about the wait. Elio could come out with "The engine is currently on the dyno and early indications are it is meeting expectations." or even "The initial testing showed a couple of areas in need of modification. With minor changes, it will be back on the dyno in a couple of days."

Last edited:

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You are probably right about the wait. Elio could come out with "The engine is currently on the synod and early indications are it is meeting expectations." or even "The initial testing showed a couple of areas in need of modification. With minor changes, it will be back on the dyno in a couple of days."
They could but, they tend to wait for the all clear before they announce. :-) Z

Top Bottom