• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of drive by wire for engine control. It's two more expensive components to fail. And fail they do.....

You know where you are with an old fashioned cable.

+1 on that Wheaters. The 'only' reason I see for it would be weight savings. Wouldn't be much on an Elio, but replacing hydraulics, reservoirs, and assorted control rods and linkages can be significant on aircraft. Personally, I like something 'physical' between me, and my throttle body. ;)

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Throttle cable, or Drive by wire?

EmoticonHelp.gif
for those of us (namely me) who aren't up on such things, what's the difference

Jim

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
EmoticonHelp.gif
for those of us (namely me) who aren't up on such things, what's the difference

Jim

"Drive by wire" would consist of a sensor at the gas pedal, and an electric actuator at the throttle body, with a wire(s) sending an input signal from the pedal's movement to the actuator. No "mechanical" connection between the two components. Every system on the vehicle has potential to be "drive by wire". Brakes, steering, gear changes, etc...

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
"Drive by wire" would consist of a sensor at the gas pedal, and an electric actuator at the throttle body, with a wire(s) sending an input signal from the pedal's movement to the actuator. No "mechanical" connection between the two components. Every system on the vehicle has potential to be "drive by wire". Brakes, steering, gear changes, etc...

thank you .... isn't that the system used on most throttle systems .... I could be wrong but that sounds like the one on our Chevy truck

Jim

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ok, give your best guess here.

Throttle cable, or Drive by wire?
Drive by wire. It's been shown to be more fuel efficient method of controlling the engine. People are too herky jerky with throttles.

Not saying they don't fail - but in my experience with 26 different vehicles, the failure rate of throttle cables, though easy to fix, is MUCH higher then my drive by wire vehicles. Granted, I've only had 6 of those but I've never had a failure.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Drive by wire. It's been shown to be more fuel efficient method of controlling the engine. People are too herky jerky with throttles.

Not saying they don't fail - but in my experience with 26 different vehicles, the failure rate of throttle cables, though easy to fix, is MUCH higher then my drive by wire vehicles. Granted, I've only had 6 of those but I've never had a failure.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDOPs3MWqFcmrUTaAAVqAGw4K8xg9uPqCCS0EeGyyyhVzj6h78ZQ.jpg

Puna bob

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I am pretty sure it will be drive by wire since that seems to be the automotive norm now.
Coincidentally I just had to replace the throttle actuator control module in my 2003 Saturn L300,
The module alone was $1000 from the dealer and they tried to get me to replace the $500 throttle body as well(which was not bad).

Personally I prefer as little electronics as possible since most home grease monkeys are not equipped to troubleshoot
or repair control boards or other electronics.

Top Bottom