• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's an A109S.

https://www.google.com/search?q=british a109s&safe=active&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=681&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=GymTVJXIH9DXoASx5oHICw&ved=0CB0QsAQ

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3wk2zbgDF1P4KbFof4709yw-islB7nYhlqArH92YUcKwPBGBo9w.jpg

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm curious about testing the production engines!?! I know nothing about the process, but everyone seems on the edge of their seat for the results of the prototype engine. I know, I'm one of those people too! However, every single part of the prototype engine is a "hand made" piece & was hand assembled. This is the engine being tested...
The actual production engine is going to be mass produced parts, put together by machine.
So, my question is, when they roll that first production engine off the line, will they dyno test that engine as well, or just assume it's gonna work as good as the prototype because the computer said it would?
Maybe this is a nill issue, due to factors that I'm not aware of, but it seems logical to me that a hand-crafted, hand built prototype engine & a mass produced, machine built engine may not be EXACTLY, 100% identical & therefore, a production engine should also be dyno tested. If this is the case, do we wait another 6 months while they dyno the production engine? Or is dyno testing a production engine not necessary? If not, what would be the reasoning for not testing a production engine?
Ignorant & Curious! ;)

The prototype is a proof of concept. It's getting baseline information, and possibly finding "show stopper" flaws like unexpected stresses or harmonics.
Depending on the results of the testing, another improved prototype might be built if necessary.
When the builders are satisfied, a low rate production will start and will confirm the engine design, build process, and quality control.

I am curious of they will be tested in real world conditions light high altitude roads like Colorado and hot and cold on the road testing. How do the clearances change when starting at -40c or f (almost the same at that point)

Low rate engines will be tested for quality, consistency, and will likely test to failure.
Full scale production will be honed during the low rate production.

Low rate production will be a time to become excited.

Top Bottom