• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I must respectfully disagree. I was taught that any engines rotational direction is named for the direction of the power takeoff end. An airplane engine that is the propeller end. An automobile engine the transmission end. left, right, clockwise, counterclockwise, all as seen from sitting in the pilots (drivers) seat. Worked well until they started turning engines crossways. Cars not planes.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I must respectfully disagree. I was taught that any engines rotational direction is named for the direction of the power takeoff end. An airplane engine that is the propeller end. An automobile engine the transmission end. left, right, clockwise, counterclockwise, all as seen from sitting in the pilots (drivers) seat. Worked well until they started turning engines crossways. Cars not planes.

Agreed. As rotation as viewing the flywheel.

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks, same to you!

I've no idea why people want to go to the shops only one day after Christmas Day. We had a family get together, with me on taxi driving duties, drove about 150 miles altogether. Thankfully I delivered everyone home before the snow set in tonight. Had a phone call from one of my sons to say his brother's car was stuck in snow and so he cannot get home tonight. Looks like the little Suzuki Swift will have to go out with snow chains on tomorrow and help them recover the car, which they've had to abandon for the night and walk back to my other son's house.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks, same to you!

I've no idea why people want to go to the shops only one day after Christmas Day. We had a family get together, with me on taxi driving duties, drove about 150 miles altogether. Thankfully I delivered everyone home before the snow set in tonight. Had a phone call from one of my sons to say his brother's car was stuck in snow and so he cannot get home tonight. Looks like the little Suzuki Swift will have to go out with snow chains on tomorrow and help them recover the car, which they've had to abandon for the night and walk back to my other son's house.

Or try one of these with chains.....:D
AC%20Sociable%201910%20frontr.jpg

1907 Sociable ; Ref. A-Z of 3-Wheelers.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My Liege with its knobbly trials tyres on is very good in the snow. Unfortunately, it has nowhere to attach a tow rope to pull another vehicle. Besides, it is sitting on ramps with the exhaust system off and engine oil drained out, pending a rebuild and engine and transmission change.

Nice project for winter evenings w/hot cider...... or consider:
image_thumb20.png

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe engines traditionally turn clockwise (viewed from the front pulley) because most people are right handed. Early cars had to be started with a hand crank and it is easier for right handed people to turn a crank clockwise than counter clockwise.

After electric starting was developed, there was no need to change because everything else in the drivetrain was already based on clockwise motion.

(Of course, I own three Corvairs that turn counter clockwise.)

Top Bottom