• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As much as I don't think the car, i will clear up a few things on the last several posts.

1.In terms of tensioning the belt, there is a tensioner pulley just like most newer cars.

2.The oil filter is in the front...like the G10 suzuki (GEO) engine. Ive never heard of a rock puncturing it. It is possible but several cars have filters in vulnerable areas. Think of it as easy access when changing your oil.

3. It appears bases on the intake that there will be a tight fit between the throttle body and transmission.

4. It also appears that the injectors would be spraying down in the intake at 90 degrees. I do not believe that is optimal. Most cars have them at a different angle.

5. Whats up with the holes in the exhaust manifolds. Almost looks like o2 sensor mounts, but i doubt this engine would have 4 o2 sensors.

6. Someone mentioned thermometer housing. I think they meant thermostat housing. It looks like that will be on the same side as the transmission. You can see the hole with the 2 bolt holes.

Now a bigger question...what about the trans?

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The oil filter will be towards the front of the Elio--serpentine belt to the right side.

On the right side if you are sitting in the car...to keep it simple the belt will be on the passenger side. Transmission on the driver side.

So if the hood opens like a traditional vehicle and you stand in front of the car looking down at the engine, this is the way it would look: the main thing you see is the valve cover. The exhaust manifold and oil filter are close to you (Front side). The intake manifold is on the back.

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Good call on the test bunges. Didnt think of that.

Idk if i have to yell this or not I WANT THE ELIO TO SUCCEED!!!

In terms of Perfesser, I believe he is a Professor that teaches auto engineering at University of Minnesota. He actually isn't the "Master" either.

How is this being a keyboard coward? I'm not threatening anyone. If i met you at a bar and you struck up a conversation with me on the elio, I would tell you the same thing.

Also, if I'm bringing up potential questions or thoughts, that means several other people are thinking it too.

I also did explain the oil filter location in hopes that people would have a better understanding. I don't talk bad about everything Elio. Ive said it before....if it comes out, i will definitely look into buying one.

So tell me what is so wrong about wanting to proceed with quite a bit of caution?

Ill say it again. I really dont think the Elio will be produced, BUT I do want it to be produced and would like to see it on the road. If there is a showing close to me, I would really like to check it out.

Mrtoycrazy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As much as I don't think the car, i will clear up a few things on the last several posts.

1.In terms of tensioning the belt, there is a tensioner pulley just like most newer cars.

2.The oil filter is in the front...like the G10 suzuki (GEO) engine. Ive never heard of a rock puncturing it. It is possible but several cars have filters in vulnerable areas. Think of it as easy access when changing your oil.

3. It appears bases on the intake that there will be a tight fit between the throttle body and transmission.

4. It also appears that the injectors would be spraying down in the intake at 90 degrees. I do not believe that is optimal. Most cars have them at a different angle.

5. Whats up with the holes in the exhaust manifolds. Almost looks like o2 sensor mounts, but i doubt this engine would have 4 o2 sensors.

6. Someone mentioned thermometer housing. I think they meant thermostat housing. It looks like that will be on the same side as the transmission. You can see the hole with the 2 bolt holes.

Now a bigger question...what about the trans?
On number 4 , I think there too what you see is test sensor bungs, that goes for exhaust too.

Injunjoe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Blackbird, I still drive my Geo as a go to work car. I learned about the Elio from the Geo Metro Forum. But I do not go there very often any more because of the ill mannered people (flamers) who hang out there. When I replace the Geo with an Elio there will be even less reason to go there.

Cache Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I really hope the oil filter is towards the back of the Elio for two reasons, efficiency and road debris protection. I also don't see the thermometer housing on the exhaust side of the motor.

Efficiency: hot air contains less oxygen by volume than cold air. By putting the engine intake system in the front of the engine, it would stay cooler rather than be in the hottest part of the engine bay, between the engine and the firewall, Remember the air that cools the car comes in from the front of the car.

Protection: if the filter is in the front of the engine it will be more vulnerable to things such as tractor trailer tire caps. What about the oil pan you ask, well the cross member usually does a good job protecting that.

BUT, that's just my opinion.
I understand what you're saying. One of the obvious points is the "standard" engine layout. Typically the belts and pullies are to the right from the driver's perspective or to the left looking around the hood in the Elois case. This would imply the oil filter is in the front. I know several cars with the same setup.

My concern was the exhaust plumbing. Elio would have to route the exhaust around the engine and this would increase the material to do so and the complexity. The intake wouldn't be such an issue with having it to the side and back of the engine and out of the crud kicked up from the road and sucked in.

Maybe the pictures we are seeing are reversed negatives. This way the alternator would be towards the front, exhaust in back with the oil filter and dipstick. Maybe...

Below are a few pictures of the engine layout. It appears the Elio is following the Suzuki's layout (see last pic).

Here is the first Elio mule:
elio.jpg
5068523_f1024.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom