• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

Ian442

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The issue is the chrysler badge on the front

Bah. I have a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3L motor with 170,000 miles on it. I have to say its one of best engineered vehicles i've ever owned and i've touched a few brands.

The Dodge just runs, its pretty easy to assemble and disassemble as well. I have put a new water pump, new power steering pump, EGR valve, Alternator and brakes, plus tune ups and fluid changes.

The power steering was completely my fault. Nowhere did I see about using ATF-4 in the power steering system so I wound up burning out the pump at about 160,000 miles.

I have changed out the transmission filter, and was surprised at how easy and relatively inexpensive it was for me to do that. ($30 filter kit and 4 qts of fluid).

Shop wanted $150 plus to just flush the whole transmission out. I paid it at 80,000 miles but I researched and saw how easy it was to do and at 160,000 did the work myself.

I also have two GM products...and truthfully they were pretty simple to work on as well. I think this whole "American cars are junk" thing really needs to be put to bed for good.

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Caravan (3.3) with just 87000 miles on it. The only thing I have done to it is change the spark plugs, although after letting the battery discharge twice I expect I will soon have to replace it--after 11 years.

Ian442

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Caravan (3.3) with just 87000 miles on it. The only thing I have done to it is change the spark plugs, although after letting the battery discharge twice I expect I will soon have to replace it--after 11 years.

Whatever you do if it ever needs power steering fluid...Please use ATF-4 automatic transmission fluid. If you use power steering fluid I am thinking something about the viscosity of it or something to that effect.

Also as an added FYI - when its time to change said power steering fluid you're going to have to replace the reservoir because it has a filter in the bottom of it that can't easily be cleaned. its just quicker and easier to change the reservoir out...think it has maybe 3 bolts to it.

Johnapool

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Bah. I have a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3L motor with 170,000 miles on it. I have to say its one of best engineered vehicles i've ever owned and i've touched a few brands.

The Dodge just runs, its pretty easy to assemble and disassemble as well. I have put a new water pump, new power steering pump, EGR valve, Alternator and brakes, plus tune ups and fluid changes.

The power steering was completely my fault. Nowhere did I see about using ATF-4 in the power steering system so I wound up burning out the pump at about 160,000 miles.

I have changed out the transmission filter, and was surprised at how easy and relatively inexpensive it was for me to do that. ($30 filter kit and 4 qts of fluid).

Shop wanted $150 plus to just flush the whole transmission out. I paid it at 80,000 miles but I researched and saw how easy it was to do and at 160,000 did the work myself.

I also have two GM products...and truthfully they were pretty simple to work on as well. I think this whole "American cars are junk" thing really needs to be put to bed for good.

I have to disagree with your last statement even if I become lightning rod for it.
My latest experience is my little 2000 Ford Ranger 4.0 4x4 pickup. Had to have a new starter at 70K, now with 100K it has a leaking head gasket that allows a bit of antifreeze into the engine. I traded off two Toyota Previa vans each with 250K, and other than CV joints, tires and brakes, NEVER repaired them. (right now we have a 1991 Previa that just reached 100K) My current 2005 Scion xB, made by Toyota, has 144K and has never even needed the braked replaced yet.
My son has a 2006 Ford F250 that has cost him over $8000 in repairs since it rolled over 100k. A friend had one of those Dodge Caravans, like you had. He did get almost 200,000 miles on it, three transmissions later, and it was smoking like a demon by the time he traded it off.
I am for all of us buying American products, and I do my best. However, I am a retired person with less spending power than I had a few years ago, and I need a car that will last 10-15 years without expensive repairs.
I know lots of you are high on American cars, but statistics don't lie. Read the Consumer's Report annual buyers guide car section and get back with me.

Top Bottom