• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

ArthurKent

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Much of the above is TRUE,..... UNTIL..... Elio Motors started a weekly BLOG with the stated PURPOSE; " "Each week we are taking you along on our journey by sharing some of our progress making your Elio."" Quote from 13, Sept, 2013. Sure sounds like a 'promise / commitment' to me!
This is quite the complaint. Apparently EVERY WEEK there will be news worth reporting and which prospective owners should know. Yeah, sure.....

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Much of the above is TRUE,..... UNTIL..... Elio Motors started a weekly BLOG with the stated PURPOSE; " "Each week we are taking you along on our journey by sharing some of our progress making your Elio."" Quote from 13, Sept, 2013. Sure sounds like a 'promise / commitment' to me!
And that is true UNTIL Elio Motors decides to change their minds which they may do at any time. The TRUTH is that it is EM's blog to do with as they please.

ArthurKent

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Moderator Comment: Please refrain from personal attacks. This is a public forum for discussion so disagreements will occur however please try and stay on topic and defend your opinions without resorting to personal comments about other members. If you feel a comment is inappropriate please use the report feature and an administrator will review it as soon as possible.
Unless this forum applies the same standards to personal attacks on Paul Elio/Elio Motors by a poster familiar to all, I will discontinue participating or even visiting this forum. So far mostly what I have seen are either pointless or brainless attacks on Paul Elio or his company or his vehicle. Mostly coming from one particular obnoxious jerk. My suggestion is that either you clean up this forum and enforce a policy against obnoxious postings or quit. This forum has been allowed to degenerate into a hate Elio organ

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not so sure a normal motorcycle engine would be the way to go for an economy Based ELIO. None of my bikes get that great of mileage.
The 1690cc Touring bike averages 46mpg but can get 52 mpg... but you have to ride right to get it.
Your performance bases crotch rockets don't produce very good MPG. Even the BMW's just don't match what ELIO is trying to get.
Detuning them to cut back would not really get much more MPG out of them. Now if you wanted to make an ELIO go fast then there are options.

Terrence

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With hindsight being 20/20, I think EM could have better spent time/money searching for an already in-production engine in volume for a good price. Just about any 2-cylinder motorcycle, 4-stroke engine would have (more than adequate) power and most of the fuel economy. The Elio has better aerodynamics than my Triumph Sprint ST, after all.

This engine development program is dragging the time line out years.

Elio Motors in my opinion is doing a grand job! I have read the Tech Talks and I am satisfied. I am uplifted since there is more and more information being released! Elio friends there is good information out there, sometimes having to search for it.
I am proud of Elio for going in the direction of having a motor and trans designed for this unique 3-wheel (Elio) auto cycle! That is what I refer to as optimization to achieve 84mpg, along with reliability, dependability and safety !
Terrence :)

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Unless this forum applies the same standards to personal attacks on Paul Elio/Elio Motors by a poster familiar to all, I will discontinue participating or even visiting this forum. So far mostly what I have seen are either pointless or brainless attacks on Paul Elio or his company or his vehicle. Mostly coming from one particular obnoxious jerk. My suggestion is that either you clean up this forum and enforce a policy against obnoxious postings or quit. This forum has been allowed to degenerate into a hate Elio organ

WHAT? Really?

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score

Moderator Comment: I believe we need some clarification on the role of moderators on this forum. While the majority of members may be firmly pro Elio the mission of this forum is to encourage open discussion on everything related with Elio Motors. As moderators we try to encourage the free exchange of ideas irregardless of what position is taken or our personal opinions on the matter. This is why I separate my personal commentary and opinions from my comments as a moderator by marking the latter with "Moderator Comment:".

At times members may disagree with dissenting and/or contrary opinions however the fact of the matter is that this is an open forum and we welcome all opinions as long as they are presented within the context of an appropriate forum/thread and in a manner respectful of other members. If any member believes a comment is not appropriate they are welcome to report it and it will be reviewed and if necessary action taken.

MajorXx

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Differences of opinion are the cornerstones of improvement. Some opinions may be based of personal preference while others perhaps have merit based on reason. Listening to others with an open mind may influence someone to change their mind about issues or point out information that may not have been considered.

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not so sure a normal motorcycle engine would be the way to go for an economy Based ELIO. None of my bikes get that great of mileage.
The 1690cc Touring bike averages 46mpg but can get 52 mpg... but you have to ride right to get it.
Your performance bases crotch rockets don't produce very good MPG. Even the BMW's just don't match what ELIO is trying to get.
Detuning them to cut back would not really get much more MPG out of them. Now if you wanted to make an ELIO go fast then there are options.

Fuel efficiency is derived from 2 broad categories:

1. Total drag: aerodynamic (form and friction drag), rolling resistance, internal mechanical losses (parasitic loads, internal friction, oil viscosity, etcetera).

2. Engine and transmission design (BSFC or Brake-Specific Fuel Consumption) which is a function of Volumetric Efficiency (breathing), Thermal Efficiency (capturing heat to push pistons down instead of rejecting it, which is materials science and engine geometry/packaging).

The second category is insanely expensive to optimize, which is why Elio Motors rightfully based their new car design on category 1, mainly.

My Triumph Sprint ST is a 3 cylinder engine (80 whp) that pushes about 5.3 effective square feet (frontal area * Cd) through the air at 65 mph and gets 55 mpg (4.28 L/100Km consumed) doing it. If I simply put this engine into the Elio with its 2.75 effective square feet (frontal area * Cd), I could reasonably expect a 30% reduction in fuel consumption which gives 80 mpg at 65 mph (2.92 L/100Km).

Now a smaller displacement parallel twin or v-twin motorcycle engine making 48-55 hp (don't forget the potential bonus of it being lighter than the EM's 3 cylinder engine) could do even better.

Stephen Workman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So long, Arthur. Perhaps you'll find a forum worthy of your intelligence and your classy wit.

Top Bottom