• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I remember the old GM vs Fomoco debates when it came to circle track racing. GM had most of the goodies but torqued to the outside of the corner. Ford torqued to the inside, therefore less disturbance to the body roll and suspension.
I guess overseas GM would have the advantage!!

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Rotary radial engines were fairly common in WWI fighter planes. Because of the configuration the oil system was continuously blowing oil out all over everything. Since they used castor oil breathing the oil vapor had the same laxative quality as taking 2 or 3 tablespoonfuls of the stuff. Another hazard for pilots.

MajorXx

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Rotary radial engines were fairly common in WWI fighter planes. Because of the configuration the oil system was continuously blowing oil out all over everything. Since they used castor oil breathing the oil vapor had the same laxative quality as taking 2 or 3 tablespoonfuls of the stuff. Another hazard for pilots.

The crankshaft flange was used to mount the engines to the aircraft. The engines were air cooled and the ideal was the engine would be cooled by the airflow created by the rotating cylinders.

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The crankshaft flange was used to mount the engines to the aircraft. The engines were air cooled and the ideal was the engine would be cooled by the airflow created by the rotating cylinders.

Considering when those engine were built without using the knowledge we have today . That was some pretty amazing stuff they came up with.
And it did fly. Part of what got us where we are now.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Do we know IAV's track record? Surely there is some historical information on how long the Engine build process typically takes to be completely production vehicle ready. I would certainly hope that this was all planned into a complete critical path model to determine the Sept 2015 production date [and that this date wasn't just a pie in the sky date set by EM's Marketing team].
Good call. I wonder if they even have that information available.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Do we know IAV's track record? Surely there is some historical information on how long the Engine build process typically takes to be completely production vehicle ready. I would certainly hope that this was all planned into a complete critical path model to determine the Sept 2015 production date [and that this date wasn't just a pie in the sky date set by EM's Marketing team].
Good call. I wonder if they even have that information available.

It would be nice to know that information. I have no doubt IAV knows how long it takes them to do their work and that EM is well aware of IAV's development time-frame. However, I also doubt IAV, and their customers, generally allow this kind of information to be released publicly as it is proprietary business information which is likely kept secured behind NDA's and such.

Anyway from what I can tell the production deadline as it currently stands is not contingent on IAV's engine work but instead the amount of time it takes to finish development and testing on the entire vehicle. So while delays in engine static testing could delay the pre-production vehicle testing program the reality is that production begins when the vehicle development and testing program is completed enough for production to begin.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
ternion said:

Paul Elio doesn't strike me as a 'pie in the sky' kind of guy. I think we can go to the bank
with confidence that the Elio has been 'modeled' like crazy. IAV is currently comparing the
'reality product' with their model.............. :)

Top Bottom