• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Standard Transmission

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The best choice for economical transporation is still the manual transmission.

I did notice a claim that the AMT can get better overall mileage than the manual

according to EM, the 84 mpg is based with the AMT .... as you note they say it will deliver the best mileage .... I'd pick the AMT even if the mileage was worse, I no longer enjoy city driving with a manual transmission

Jim

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
according to EM, the 84 mpg is based with the AMT .... as you note they say it will deliver the best mileage .... I'd pick the AMT even if the mileage was worse, I no longer enjoy city driving with a manual transmission

Jim

I'm with you, Jim. Drove sticks up until about 2 years ago. Left knee started going south, and I-270 rush hour became too much of a work out for me. Love my automatic! If this was going to be my "fun" vehicle, I would probably opt for the standard.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm with you, Jim. Drove sticks up until about 2 years ago. Left knee started going south, and I-270 rush hour became too much of a work out for me. Love my automatic! If this was going to be my "fun" vehicle, I would probably opt for the standard.

understood on left knee issues .... first surgery was a little over a year ago and am doing all I can to keep from a second one

Jim

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The AMT will get better gas mileage than the manual because it will shift at lower RPM than us old stick drivers are comfortable with. In normal driving I'm sure this little engine will feel good shifting at 3000-4000 RPM. The AMT will probably shift 1800-2000 RPM since that's where we've told the highway cruise RPM would be. It will feel like it's lugging but it's not. Just shift at low RPM with a gentle throttle and let the knock sensor and ECM take care of the details and the manual can get the same mileage as the AMT.

Top Bottom