• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Standard Transmission

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The wet clutch systems on automobiles I have seen are all housed in the transmission and don't share the engine sump like many unified motorcycle designs. Our "dream" has an automotive style powertrain.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Because the direction of force would have to make a 90° turn solid linkage would need an extra bellcrank. Also solid linkage could cause feedback in the clutch pedal from the engine/transaxle assembly rocking back &forth on the engine mounts. Could be done but why? Cable is the simplest, cheapest, proven mechanism for clutch operation. And since in the Elio the clutch fork on the transaxle is directly underneath the clutch pedal the cable would only need to be 2 feet long or less. Pure simplicity.

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Way back in 08, on the smart forum, I asked why smart didn't offer a manual transmission option. The answer I got was, The automatic was cheaper to build. The electronic bits and pieces were cheaper than the manual bits and pieces.
So, what if the automatic, manual transmission is cheaper than the manual, manual transmission.
Will the AMT become the standard, and the MT the optional transmission?

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Way back in 08, on the smart forum, I asked why smart didn't offer a manual transmission option. The answer I got was, The automatic was cheaper to build. The electronic bits and pieces were cheaper than the manual bits and pieces.
So, what if the automatic, manual transmission is cheaper than the manual, manual transmission.

that would sure be nice but that just isn't the way things work in our world .. o_O

Jim

DanS

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That would be awesome! But in this case it's the same manual transmission with an add on electronic shifter. o_O

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
That would be awesome! But in this case it's the same manual transmission with an add on electronic shifter. o_O

As BigDog pointed out all Elio's essentially start out with the same manual transmission but the automatic adds a number of components to that transmission designed to operate the clutch and shift gears so as they are adding parts to the base transmission this would off course also add cost.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
As BigDog pointed out all Elio's essentially start out with the same manual transmission but the automatic adds a number of components to that transmission designed to operate the clutch and shift gears so as they are adding parts to the base transmission this would off course also add cost.

the parts not needed with the AMT (clutch pedal, linkage, time to assemble the parts) should help to offset some of the cost of additional parts needed .... granted, the unneeded parts of the manual probably wouldn't come close to the cost of the computer such

Jim

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
the parts not needed with the AMT (clutch pedal, linkage, time to assemble the parts) should help to offset some of the cost of additional parts needed .... granted, the unneeded parts of the manual probably wouldn't come close to the cost of the computer such

Jim
but the computer is already there, it just needs the program to operate the transmission.

Top Bottom