• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Standard Transmission

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
skygazer - as I recall, it took two or three days, I did it in a driveway - on an E series van. It was the first time I needed a transmission jack, every other time I had bench pressed them in and out, even iron top-loaders. This one had the added engineering "feature" of an integrated bell-housing - GGRRrrrrr!

Been there, done that on my '87 E-150 conversion van (C6 IIRC) for a leaky torque converter seal.....miserable!

LGilbert

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Below, you will find a list of all the auto companies that charge the same for Automatic Transmissions,

You have now seen the entire list.
Oops no Elio either.

Not quite correct. Many BMW's come with an automatic, optional manual at no charge, thus the charge is the same regardless of choice. Unfortunately, the pure manual is about to disappear. The AMT is far quicker and more efficient. AUDI uses a DCAT (double clutch automatic tranmission) in almost all their cars, as do all formula cars and most professional race cars that are competitive. You can downshift four times smoothly under heavy braking with an AMT that rev matches in less time,keeping the engine at the prime revs, much faster then that it would take to downshift once by an expert in double-clutching using toe-heal technique. Add smart shift patterns and the car can be programmed to shift at the best points for fuel economy, for performance, or let the transmission adjust to the driver's immediate pattern automatically. Manual transmissions are certainly the most engaging for enthusiast drivers, but not for all out performance or economy.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've begun to lean toward the MT, even though I'll use my Elio primarily as a commuter. I'm not that convinced that the AMT will be as smooth and trouble-free as the manual. Here's my rationale: because the trike is light and has a relatively low torque output, the clutch pedal needn't be too stiff. My Civic had a manual clutch and my Opel an hydraulic one, both were very soft with not much difference in operation. Yes, the manual clutch will require some left-leg calisthenics, but they shouldn't be particularly difficult, even for my ancient joints.

My second concern is for sitting at idle or creeping forward as in a serious traffic jam. Without a torque converter, something is going to have to slip, and unless the auto-clutch completely disconnects, it's going to wear. If so, when it re-engages, it will probably do so with a significant jerk . . . sorta like I performed when learning to drive a stickshift early in my driving career.

Finally, I'm up for some participation in my driving experience. I just can't develop a mechanical relationship with a slushbox. If I'm going to enjoy my commute, I'd rather get my kicks from the gear lever and clutch than poking at I <3 Radio on my phone. Maybe after it's all sorted out, I'll get the AMT on my next Elio.

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've begun to lean toward the MT, even though I'll use my Elio primarily as a commuter. I'm not that convinced that the AMT will be as smooth and trouble-free as the manual. Here's my rationale: because the trike is light and has a relatively low torque output, the clutch pedal needn't be too stiff. My Civic had a manual clutch and my Opel an hydraulic one, both were very soft with not much difference in operation. Yes, the manual clutch will require some left-leg calisthenics, but they shouldn't be particularly difficult, even for my ancient joints.

My second concern is for sitting at idle or creeping forward as in a serious traffic jam. Without a torque converter, something is going to have to slip, and unless the auto-clutch completely disconnects, it's going to wear. If so, when it re-engages, it will probably do so with a significant jerk . . . sorta like I performed when learning to drive a stickshift early in my driving career.

Finally, I'm up for some participation in my driving experience. I just can't develop a mechanical relationship with a slushbox. If I'm going to enjoy my commute, I'd rather get my kicks from the gear lever and clutch than poking at I <3 Radio on my phone. Maybe after it's all sorted out, I'll get the AMT on my next Elio.

I think those are good points but I would give the AMT a go before deciding. I think with some adjustment driving a AMT smoothly shouldn't be a problem. Supposedly we will get the chance to test drive an Elio. I would guess the clutch on the MT would be hydraulic so its buttery soft like on most cars. I come from Mustangs so gorilla foot cable operation existed until 2004 models. I will be going MT because i prefer to row my own.

dgruis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I live and drive my smart fortwo with AMT in Iowa winters Because I often drive naked, the herky-jerkiness of the AMT keeps my skin from adhering to the leather seats too securely. When I arrive at my destination, most of my flesh is already peeled loose.

Seriously, the AMT is not as smooth or fast as a manual or an automatic, but if you allow the computer to shift for you (automatically) it gets far better gas mileage. The Elio designed is an exception to the norm. It does not seem logical to wish/demand normal modes of operation on an abnormal vehicle.

Comparatively speaking, horses eat less gasoline than cars, but they ride much rougher. I can handle an Elio with the least cost transmission.

Jeff Bowlsby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Forgive me if this has been covered before, but with the tranny on the left side and the shifter on the right, the shift linkage could be a major engineering feat. This would go for either the MT or AMT but I'll just post the question here.

Any insight on the shift linkage? Might it be a cable shifter?

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Forgive me if this has been covered before, but with the tranny on the left side and the shifter on the right, the shift linkage could be a major engineering feat. This would go for either the MT or AMT but I'll just post the question here.

Any insight on the shift linkage? Might it be a cable shifter?

Shifter linkage wont be hard. Gotta thing that the engine and trans are so small that where the engine and trans meet will be close to the center.

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think those are good points but I would give the AMT a go before deciding. I think with some adjustment driving a AMT smoothly shouldn't be a problem. Supposedly we will get the chance to test drive an Elio. I would guess the clutch on the MT would be hydraulic so its buttery soft like on most cars. I come from Mustangs so gorilla foot cable operation existed until 2004 models. I will be going MT because i prefer to row my own.
Don't know if I'd put too much assumption on a hydralic clutch. Such a small engine and power level would make it tempting, in keeping with the low-cost ideal, to use a clutch cable. After all, a few bucks for a cable and a couple brackets pressed out of sheet metal would have to be cheaper than a master cyllinder, fluid reservoir, hydraulic lines, slave cylinder, AND some metal brackets. And with such a small engine and possibly a lower-sprung pressure plate to match, I doubt the driving experience would qualify for the 'insanity' workout for quads and hammys.

Top Bottom