• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio's 4 Musts.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The comments from the Blog today were about the 4 "musts" that define the genius behind the Elio. Plus the fact that no other new auto designs in our future fulfills these musts like the Elio does.
There are better engineers posting to this sight than I and so I'm hoping they back me on the following assertion; The blog failed to mention another obvious advantage of the Elio over any electric alternatives. I believe I'm correct on this. Adding up all the carbon emissions used to manufacture the batteries plus the fuel used to generate the electricity to charge them still far exceeds the emission created by our cute little Elio engines. Heck, we might even beat some electric bicycles on this issue. LOL

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The comments from the Blog today were about the 4 "musts" that define the genius behind the Elio. Plus the fact that no other new auto designs in our future fulfills these musts like the Elio does.
There are better engineers posting to this sight than I and so I'm hoping they back me on the following assertion; The blog failed to mention another obvious advantage of the Elio over any electric alternatives. I believe I'm correct on this. Adding up all the carbon emissions used to manufacture the batteries plus the fuel used to generate the electricity to charge them still far exceeds the emission created by our cute little Elio engines. Heck, we might even beat some electric bicycles on this issue. LOL

Think again....how many billions of ICE cars are running around all over the world that emits carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxides which are dangerous pollutants EVERY SINGLE DAY????? And how many decades has it been polluting the world since the advent of ICE cars??? That also includes the "other" dangerous emissions released by manufacturers to produce all the hundreds/thousands of ICE parts. Then compare it to EV's - guess how many EVs do you see just in America's roads alone? (I'm not even saying around the globe). And you know what, you forgot that ICE cars won't RUN without BATTERIES! Hah! ;):D Beat electric bicycles you say???? I'm still laughing. :D Here's more...there's a growing number of countries that wants to ban ICE cars due to pollution- the dangers are real although I don't see it happening in our US of A any time soon. Research is your friend.

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Nope. There have been several studies on this. It depends on the source of electricity and the miles driven with the battery. Tesla battery packs should be good for 400k miles. The study I'm linking to only considers 150k miles for the battery, so 400k miles would obviously make a BEV a lot more efficient.

https://www.ucsusa.org/clean-vehicles/electric-vehicles/life-cycle-ev-emissions#.WimjcUqnE2w

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio 4 Musts.......pure marketing genius. EM = Elio Marketing (No IAV Motors)

I was skeptical the 4 Musts were attainable when happening across the 2008-09 Say Hello Elio Marketing Campaign, but the unbelievably low, to good to be true $7300 MSRP, 70 MPG, and 5-Star Safety Compliant musts peaked my interest for several years. Nearly a decade later, $141 Million, and 65,000 reservations the 4 musts have varied somewhat, but clearly the Must Haves are Have Nots in 2017.
IMG_5741.JPG

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wait, Ive been assured that carbon emissions have nothing to do with our environmental issues so you can strike that off the Elio list. :rolleyes:
Remember, the Elio only has to deal with motorcycle emissions. Thus no compliance for the required 150K miles and no emissions inspection over the life of the product. Add into that, it can pollute more NOX than a TDI VW (which is what VW got nailed for). So, it just comes down to what you want to look at when it comes to being green. When you celebrated that VW was caught for creating smog by selling 450K TDI's here in the US over a 6 year period, Elio will surpass that number by 2021 and double that number by 2023.

Burg

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
VW was caught for creating smog by selling 450K TDI's here in the US over a 6 year period, Elio will surpass that number by 2021 and double that number by 2023.

Could you post your data to support that statement? Elio may have to deal within motorcycle emissions standards but I have not seen emissions data regarding the Emissions on the Elio to support that.

Also, I don't believe the VW suit was rooted in total emissions as much as VW lied and rigged their computer to doge emission thus it puts out way more than stated and advertised. There was an actual suit from Wyoming that brought the Clean Air Act into play and that was shot down in August, I think.

Top Bottom