• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Ever Falling Hp Of The Elio.... :(

How slow are you willing to go 0-60 mph?

• the faster the better!

Votes: 23 15.2%
  • under 8.0 sec

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • under 9.0 sec

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • under 10.0 sec (original Elio claim)

Votes: 89 58.9%
  • As slow as necessary to ensure 84 mgp hwy

Votes: 26 17.2%

• Total voters

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
severe cross winds.
This somewhat is unknown for the Elio, although I'm sure the designers should have some idea by now. Later I can get more detailed about the expectations. But for now; it's easy to say the very popular VW bug was about as bad as it gets. And was considered livable. Based on what I know, the Elio will be much better than a Bug in most respects save one, buffeting. And it probably will be better in that one too.
There are small and surprising things that can be done for a form like the Elio, should any of that be a problem.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I am sure cross wind stability has been simulated during development and will be further tested during the road testing phase of development. Of course this does not mean it will not be an issue entirely but it is likely they have and/or will take steps to mitigate any serious instability issues.

Last edited:

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Stability issues: Seems a story about bridge wind can create some turbulence of it's own around here. Pun intended. LOL
From the beginning Paul has stressed that the lack of frontal exposure is the Elio's major advantage for penetration and wind resistance. A bonus is the front wheel pants. They serve very much as the outboard sponsons serve on an out rigger sailing craft. That is to say that the Elio configuration is analogous to a trimaran or an out rigger sailing crafts. Trimaran, and Proa Out riggers are legendary for their both speed and stability. I would hope the comparison is obvious as the Elio moves threw an ocean of air so as the trimaran moves threw it's ocean. The 1200 lbs plus Elio's aerodynamics is a match made in heaven in my opinion. I'll put it up against the average 3000 pounder in a heart beat.
Of course if you guys are going to hang trailers off the back or over sized roof racks. I can't speak for that. LOL

Last edited:

2.ooohhh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This somewhat is unknown for the Elio, although I'm sure the designers should have some idea by now. Later I can get more detailed about the expectations. But for now; it's easy to say the very popular VW bug was about as bad as it gets. And was considered livable. Based on what I know, the Elio will be much better than a Bug in most respects save one, buffeting. And it probably will be better in that one too.
There are small and surprising things that can be done for a form like the Elio, should any of that be a problem.
A VW bug is a breeze in crosswinds compared to a bus, only difference being in the bus you can pull into the next rest stop and sleep comfortably until the wind passes. :cool:

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Passing buses and trucks was exciting and made sure I was paying attention. Amazing versatile vehicles and more fun to drive than any other vehicle I have owned, motorcycles excepted.
This all takes me back. Waaaaay back. Sometime back in the late 50s about the time I was just discovering the opposite sex.
A much cooler and older guy in our neighborhood owned an old dilapidated 1949 Plymouth. I guess I was supposed to feel privileged that he allowed me to go cruising for babes occasionally. The old Plymouth was just passable as something cool to cruise in seeing that I was too young to drive. This Plymouth had one ridiculous flaw. I have never really figured out what made his 49 Plymouth buck, yes, buck like a horse, at any time the car approached 40 to 45 miles per hour. I can't tell you how stupid we looked when attempting to pull beside some cute chicks and that stupid Plymouth would start bucking like a horse. The only solution was to come almost to a stop and regear the car back up to speed. No no this plymouth is not comparable to a Volkswagen. I just remember the stupid thing wouldn't pass even a motorscooter without breaking in to this ridiculous humping or bucking motion. You gotta admit that a humping car finishes any chances as cruising for babes. Yet alone passing anything on the road. LOL

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Stability issues: Seems a story about bridge wind can create some turbulence of it's own around here. Pun intended. LOL
From the beginning Paul has stressed that the lack of frontal exposure is the Elio's major advantage for penetration and wind resistance. A bonus is the front wheel pants. They serve very much as the outboard sponsons serve on an out rigger sailing craft. That is to say that the Elio configuration is analogous to a trimaran or an out rigger sailing crafts. Trimaran, and Proa Out riggers are legendary for their both speed and stability. I would hope the comparison is obvious as the Elio moves threw an ocean of air so as the trimaran moves threw it's ocean. The 1200 lbs plus Elio's aerodynamics is a match made in heaven in my opinion. I'll put it up against the average 3000 pounder in a heart beat.
Of course if you guys are going to hang trailers off the back or over sized roof racks. I can't speak for that. LOL
--if

Yes, this^^. And you can be sure that the design team in charge of the body shape is going to make darn certain the center of aerodynamic pressure/drag is behind the center of mass, by a safe margin. I see no major issues with cross-wind stability of this design. As always, use caution when traveling at high speeds. I don't care what car you drive--if you are driving up the Columbia River Gorge, when the sign says "caution, high winds," you had better dang well respect it.

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"VW bug was about as bad as it gets" ~ ouch..

Top Bottom