• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Ever Falling Hp Of The Elio.... :(

How slow are you willing to go 0-60 mph?

• the faster the better!

Votes: 23 15.2%
  • under 8.0 sec

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • under 9.0 sec

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • under 10.0 sec (original Elio claim)

Votes: 89 58.9%
  • As slow as necessary to ensure 84 mgp hwy

Votes: 26 17.2%

• Total voters

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"VW bug was about as bad as it gets" ~ ouch..
ouch.jpg

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"VW bug was about as bad as it gets" ~ ouch..
The classic Volks shape is actually a lifting body shape making the body act lighter to the wind. Although I really don't think it created enough lift to be significant if we widened the car say 35 feet you'd be looking and an aircraft wing, though a little crude. Not too unlike the old "Clark Y" airfoil. LOL

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like you might have found a sources or cause of some road rage. After some Interstate bouts with wind and big trucks you'd want to get out and swing a sword too. LOL

No road rage. Some white knuckles and adrenaline, tho! I don't take it on the interstate.
It's funny, It wont "slice" thru the air, but it sure can "cut a trail!" :D

Last edited:

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No road rage. Some white knuckles and adrenaline, tho! I don't take it on the interstate.
It's funny, It wont "slice" thru the air, but it sure can "cut a trail!" :D
Tell me outsyd, Do you have someone sit on the hood and swing a machete or do you cut a trail by swinging your sumarai sword from inside the cab? LOL
PS I've thought about hiring my Element out to swat bugs on the interstate. That thing swats bugs better than any other I've owned. LOL

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There are all kinds of being bad when talking aerodynamics. I loved my Bugs, but I also loved my 197x Ford Fiesta. It was such a square box, I think a brick had lower CD numbers. In the wind it was just fine to drive. I've been told, that's typical for super bad aero, there is nothing working well enough to get any worse in the wind. But the center of gravity was near the front, which is good. And that what was the real problem with the Bug, the CG was near the back. So under the right conditions, it's aero-unstable. Still, I loved driving both the Bug and the 70's Fiesta, even in a cross wind. Both were agile and lively.

The Elio has the CG up near the front. So I'm expecting very strong stability, even in crosswinds. The vehicle is very light however, and that is another thing to consider. Anyways, the Elio CG is very low, like the Fiesta and Bug, and all are very light. Mixed with the center seating, I'm expecting the time of my life driving an Elio.

So what other cars from the past were bad at speed in a crosswind?
Anyone know what it's like to drive a Messerschmitt in a cross wind at high speed? We have a member who used to own ?two?.

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The classic Volks shape is actually a lifting body shape making the body act lighter to the wind. Although I really don't think it created enough lift to be significant if we widened the car say 35 feet you'd be looking and an aircraft wing, though a little crude. Not too unlike the old "Clark Y" airfoil. LOL
The VW can't really get to a speed where the airfoil would have any effect, however the rear engine design made it like throwing a dart backwards, hence the cross wind problems. Those unexpected lane changes when going across bridges keep you on your toes.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The VW can't really get to a speed where the airfoil would have any effect, however the rear engine design made it like throwing a dart backwards, hence the cross wind problems. Those unexpected lane changes when going across bridges keep you on your toes.

All the while I thought you sudden lane changers were just rude. LOL I had no idea you were hanging on for dear life. For the record I never implied fly ability either. LOL Quite the contrary and just as you said here.

But then again now that the topic is still live. I think I actually recall a real life incident of someone flying what appeared for all the world a Volkswagen upside down. Yes, Yes it was the supper low aspect ratio reentry vehicle that the bionic 6 million dollar man was testing when he crashed. It was the predecessor test vehicle to the space shuttle. That thing looked a lot like an upside down Volkswagen as it tumbled on to the desert floor and crashed. LOL

267616main_image_1155_946-710.jpg

Top Bottom