• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Hud For The Elio

Do you like the Elio?

• Yes

Votes: 61 83.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 12 16.4%

• Total voters

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
iScout seems a bit strange to me they are planning on using their own navigation information. It seems like that would lead to problems down the line, how is this small company going to keep this information up to date. It also has a simcard slot does it need its own data plan to work correctly their website does not say. I also have trouble with their blind spot cameras which are just little cameras built into the side of the base unit. I cannot see how they would be able to see anything useful. I guess I will just have to wait and see.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Continental, one of Elio's suppliers, has an advanced HUD available. Perhaps this is the one being discussed.

http://continental-head-up-display.com/
Looks like the TPMS that Conti offers too.

Conti TPMS.gif

vietvetx2

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Hey, I was reading the description of the HUD that is now showing as a convenience item in the configurator. To me, it looks like a Skyzmatic-Lite. It uses your smartphone but will show backup camera and others and probably other things... I'm thinking texts on-screen and maybe navigation. There isn't an indication of who makes the unit but I'm thinking it is definitely in my "probably" list of options. What do you guys think?

View attachment 10949

EDIT: THIS PICTURE IS A SCREEN CAPTURE FROM THE CONFIGURATOR.
The Walter Mitty in me wants a fighter plane gun sight!

Bamdalam

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't see any reason for blind spot cameras. Semi drivers drive all day, every day with large, flat mirrors and large convex mirrors as thier only rear view resource. They do just fine driving cross country day in and day out. Have you ever seen a truck driver back into a loading dock? They can do it perfectly, even In tight spots. In my younger days, I drove a box truck for a living with no windshield rear view mirror. Doing that full time tought me to use the outside mirrors only. Blind spot mirrors are a must, but cameras are over kill. A pair of good convex mirrors will set you back less than $10.00. I, for one was attracted to the Elio because of the price, and will always try to keep that as low as possible. There's an old saying around here when it comes to trying to change something into more than what it is. It's "like putting perfume on a pig". I know we're all different in what we want, but for me, the more simple, is better.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Question would be; if your car isn't equipped with blind spot cameras, is there an option to add them?

If you remember, the Skyzmatic had the same problem; if they aren't a factory option, it doesn't have that feature.

The iScout device has the blind spot cameras (and dash camera) built into the dash unit itself. On a standard car, with the HUD mounted along the car's centerline, it would have the right angles to be pointing the cameras right into the car's blind spots, but I'm not sure if it would be right for the Elio.

As to the question of "Why blindspot cameras, if mirrors work just fine?" It's not just about seeing. Because the iScout is also a continuously-recording dash camera, those blind spot cameras will record those angles in the event of an accident. If a guy smashes into you, but tries to claim that you merged into him, then you have video evidence to prove that you were in the right. (I believe they would also be able to see/record what happens to the driver and passenger, and record any interactions with law enforcement approaching your window.)

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't have a "smart phone"! I don't want a "smart phone"! And I don't want my car to be dependent on my "smart phone"!

There are still a few of us out here that can survive a few minutes/hours without continuous contact with others.
I may be in the minority, but I don't think I'm alone!

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't have a "smart phone"! I don't want a "smart phone"! And I don't want my car to be dependent on my "smart phone"!

There are still a few of us out here that can survive a few minutes/hours without continuous contact with others.
I may be in the minority, but I don't think I'm alone!

Amen! Never have owned one. Drives my wife and friends nuts that I don't want one.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Continental system looks neat, but the picture from the configurator looks like the iScout, good eyes fellas. I do like the functionality of the iScout and think the built-in cameras is a very neat idea. We will see how it looks as production gets closer, but right now it has gone on my list as a definite "want".

Top Bottom