• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The "let's Argue Over Colors And What Elio 'said'" Thread

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup, and we also know that EM is currently only offering 7 colors because the Shreveport plant has 7 paint booths. Even though each paint booth could be set up to handle more than one color EM has determined that the most cost efficient way to handle painting is to assign a single color to each booth.

The 7 colors EM has chosen to offer were chosen because they are both popular and within EM's cost goals. People mention wanting yellow however right now yellow is actually the most expensive primary car paint color which means yellow was knocked out of the initial color selection due to its cost. EM has told several of us that they do have future plans to change the available colors at some point in the future however this will not likely happen in the first year or two unless they simply find one color is really not selling well at all. Eventually a color could be swapped in on a temporary basis or one of the intial colors could be swapped out and EM could choose to run a booth which paints vehicles with a selection of premium extra cost colors.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yup, and we also know that EM is currently only offering 7 colors because the Shreveport plant has 7 paint booths. Even though each paint booth could be set up to handle more than one color EM has determined that the most cost efficient way to handle painting is to assign a single color to each booth.

The 7 colors EM has chosen to offer were chosen because they are both popular and within EM's cost goals. People mention wanting yellow however right now yellow is actually the most expensive primary car paint color which means yellow was knocked out of the initial color selection due to its cost. EM has told several of us that they do have future plans to change the available colors at some point in the future however this will not likely happen in the first year or two unless they simply find one color is really not selling well at all. Eventually a color could be swapped in on a temporary basis or one of the intial colors could be swapped out and EM could choose to run a booth which paints vehicles with a selection of premium extra cost colors.
well, so much for my yellow!-- time to move on
but it's X:XLIV, time for Potato and Kale Enchiladas with roasted Chile Sauce (if there is interest, I'll post the recipe )lol

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Thanks for getting me straightened out. Wish I could find the post that got me confused.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere that the colors were molded into the panels and that Elio acquired the body panel material from some other project and that was the reason that the seven colors were it and there would be no yellow.
If someone else can remember this and provide the source I would appreciate it.

When EM was here at the auto-auctions Jerome told me that developing a color pallet with a supplier can cost quite a bit and the pallets are proprietary with the manufacturer who pays for it. But a suitable one had been developed and was 'abandoned', so the supplier contracted that out to EM.
So obviously EM will only re-invest into new colors when it seems more justified to them. Getting the car out the door seems to be top of the list.

For my part, on one of my Elios I may well get a selected color just as a base for repainting. With the idea that the interior and recessed areas will be compatible with the new color that way.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When EM was here at the auto-auctions Jerome told me that developing a color pallet with a supplier can cost quite a bit and the pallets are proprietary with the manufacturer who pays for it. But a suitable one had been developed and was 'abandoned', so the supplier contracted that out to EM.
So obviously EM will only re-invest into new colors when it seems more justified to them. Getting the car out the door seems to be top of the list.

For my part, on one of my Elios I may well get a selected color just as a base for repainting. With the idea that the interior and recessed areas will be compatible with the new color that way.
I believe there was discussion of being able to purchase w/just primed?

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know back when, but I don't know if it was answered-
Are the EM colors "off the shelf" i.e. are they or have been used by other companies -so we might get a better look at them?

Top Bottom