• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Microlino Ev

BigWarpGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Wikipedia - BMW Isetta. 'A manual gearbox provided four forward speeds and reverse.'.

I am looking for why they said it had no reverse gear. Perhaps the version sold in the UK had no reverse gear?

I think the Microlino looks better than this electric version of the Isetta. Auto Blog.
bmw-isetta-spaceball.png

BigWarpGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There was supposed to be a newer Isetta by BMW (IIRC) but I don't think anything came of it. BMW Blog.
car_photo_307494_25.jpg

I like the design. The above design might be a little safer since it has two doors on the sides instead of one on the front.
contest_car.jpg

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You could import these into the United States as speed-regulated Neighborhood Electric Vehicles (25mph max). Anybody with a laptop could then plug into the controller and adjust the governor to the maximum allowed by their state/local regulations (for instance, in Washington state a "medium speed vehicle" can go up to 35mph, whereas in Maryland an MSV can go up to 50mph).

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I
Well, at least this has reverse - unlike the BMW Isetta.

EVERY ISETTA SOLD HAD A REVERSE . WHO STARTS THESE RUMORS ?
PLEASE NOTE THE "R" ON THE SHIFT PATTERN .

isetta-shift.jpg
t is possible that the reverse wasn't actually installed as anticipated when the shift figure was made.

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is possible that the reverse wasn't actually installed as anticipated when the shift figure was made.

NOT REALLY . THAT WAS THE STANDARD SHIFT PATTERN ON ALL LEFT HAND DRIVE ISETTAs .
( I HAVE OWNED 5 OF THEM )
THE RIGHT HAND DRIVE ONES HAVE A MORE CONVENTIONAL PATTERN BUT IT STILL HAS REVERSE .

BigWarpGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was watching a show on British micro cars. It showed one micro car that one could drive with a scooter license but it did not have a reverse (no reverse per the regulations in Britain for that type of vehicle). It was not a problem for the car shown since it had a tight turn radius; practically turned in almost the space it took up. I read that some Isetta's sold in the UK had only one wheel in back so it won't be considered a car. Perhaps those also did not have a reverse so they could be driven by someone with a scooter license? IIRC.

'The Isetta was not popular in the UK until a three-wheeled version was introduced. Although three-wheelers were more prone to rolling-over,[citation needed] there was a financial advantage; they could evade automobile legislation and taxation by being classed as three-wheeled motorcycles, and could be driven with a motorcycle licence.' - Isetta Wikipedia.

MSG Board Snopes - 'Well, if it only had three wheels, it wouldn't have had a reverse gear at all.' - 'BMW also produce some 3-wheel versions of the Isetta at their Brighton, England assembly plant, but they were all registered and licensed as motorcycles and had no reverse gear in their transmissions.'

Top Bottom