• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Next Generation Elio Engine ? (2-stroke Turbo Diesel)

EZ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
twin tire system

got them on all my cars !!

Popular Mechanics 1985

IMG_0451.JPG

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wonder it this type of tire system could be use on the rear of an Elio .... if so, would it then become an automobile ?
My guess is they would have to turn independently. Otherwise considered duals.

Would they have to be independently suspended where each moves up and down independently of each other?

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My guess is they would have to turn independently. Otherwise considered duals.

Would they have to be independently suspended where each moves up and down independently of each other?

good question .... I don't know that there would be any advantage to having dual tires on the rear of an Elio but it is an interesting thought

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think mud and rocks would simply get stuck between them.

I have been driving a dually truck since '02 and I haven't had any significant trouble with that .... not saying it can't be a problem, I just don't know .... the wider the rubber footprint the less the ground contact pressure .... I can see that might reduce traction required to keep the wheel(s) from sliding sideways in a turn

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is a two stroke diesel using two pistons per cylinder. The Germans used this concept during WWII in some of their submarines. At the bottom of the piston's travel, the blue and red ports are uncovered. Fresh air is blown in through the blue ports forcing exhaust out the red ports leaving the cylinder chamber full of fresh air. Then the pistons travel towards their "top" position compressing the air. At the "top", fuel is injected. This design has always seemed unnecessarily complicated to me. Just the thing German engineers are known for.

I like the simpler two stroke diesel design of one piston per cylinder with a large single exhaust valve at the top.

Not so. The German U-boats generally used MAN four stroke diesels. American WW2 fleet boats DID use an opposed piston two stroke engine built by Fairbanks Morse in Beloit, Wisconsin. http://www.fairbanksmorse.com/engines/opposed-piston-model-38/ You can see an example in the flesh here: http://silversidesmuseum.org/uss-sliversides/ They even have plexi crankcase doors and internal lighting so you can see the inner works.

The two stroke diesel is currently in limbo in the US. I don't think that Detroit Diesel even builds one anymore. Electro Motive Diesel (formerly Electro Motive Division of General Motors) produces a medium speed turbo-superchargedcharged two stroke for rail, marine and stationary use, but EMD announced last fall that they would produce no domestic locomotives for at least two years because they could not get the 710 engine to meet Tier 4 emissions standards. Many four strokes do, but must use urea injection into the exhaust to meet Tier 4 standards (Diesel Exhaust Fluid, or DEF). When you add up emissions non compliance (for two strokes), the fact that diesels cost more to build, the fuel is more expensive, urea injection (the average person just won't want to deal with that), and exhaust particulate filters, diesels are more and more a non starter for cars...

Also, look at the cost of construction of the horizontally opposed two stroke pictured here. Neat engine? Hell yes! Expensive to build? Yep...

Last edited:

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not so. The German U-boats generally used MAN four stroke diesels. American WW2 fleet boats DID use an opposed piston two stroke engine built by Fairbanks Morse in Beloit, Wisconsin. http://www.fairbanksmorse.com/engines/opposed-piston-model-38/ You can see an example in the flesh here: http://silversidesmuseum.org/uss-sliversides/ They even have plexi crankcase doors and internal lighting so you can see the inner works.

The two stroke diesel is currently in limbo in the US. I don't think that Detroit Diesel even builds one anymore. Electro Motive Diesel (formerly Electro Motive Division of General Motors) produces a medium speed turbo-superchargedcharged two stroke for rail, marine and stationary use, but EMD announced last fall that they would produce no domestic locomotives for at least two years because they could not get the 710 engine to meet Tier 4 emissions standards. Many four strokes do, but must use urea injection into the exhaust to meet Tier 4 standards (Diesel Exhaust Fluid, or DEF). When you add up emissions non compliance (for two strokes), the fact that diesels cost more to build, the fuel is more expensive, urea injection (the average person just won't want to deal with that), and exhaust particulate filters, diesels are more and more a non starter for cars...

Also, look at the cost of construction of the horizontally opposed two stroke pictured here. Neat engine? Hell yes! Expensive to build? Yep...
I had a professor of mechanical engineering at Univ of Illinois say the dangerous part of emissions were the nonvisible gasses. The smoke from a diesel was "soot" that was basically dirt. Now someone has said "particulate" emissions is dangerous.

I have long believed there is a bias in research. You do not get a PhD unless you make some kind of discovery. I suspect research is biased in the direction of finding something new and dangerous.

Top Bottom