• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Next Generation Elio Engine ? (2-stroke Turbo Diesel)

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Do you know what is the advantage of this opposed piston 2-stroke diesel design? It seems complicated compared with a regular diesel.
For the power produced, they are very compact. Our FB motor was a 6-cylinder, 12 piston (2-crankshaft) one that was the size of an F-150 pickup truck and produced 12.5 Megawatts of power, submerged, and 14 MW surfaced. When submerged, it has to push the exhaust through about 3 feet of water column, which is tremendous back pressure.

12.5 MW of power is over 16,000 horsepower, and that is AFTER generator losses.

They are also quite robust and hard to break if you run them right. We posted a watchmen on the intake sump to make sure it never ingested too much water. When submerged (at periscope depth), it sucks through a snorkel mast. Waves push water into the snorkel. The sump filters out most of that water.

Other than keeping a close eye on the intake for excessive water, all you have to do is keep the oil well filtered and fresh. Otherwise, they're pretty much bulletproof, literally. Mechanically, other than having 2 cranshafts synchronized in common, they're dead simple--compared to today's current 4-stroke turbodiesel passenger car engines, vastly simpler.

And yes, the fuel tank serves as some of the radiation shielding just forward of the reactor compartment. We carried enough to run across any of the world's oceans.

Last edited:

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to buy the Elio to save money over a regular car and then have to put expensive diesel in it!
80 mpg burning $4 per gallon fuel or 40 mpg burning $3 per gallon fuel. The math still lends guidance.
However, if we are asking ourselves if it would be worth it in comparing a diesel Elio to a gasoline Elio, that is a different question. Assuming this comparison maintained the typical 33% efficiency factor, and forgetting what an utterly dismal failure small diesel engines have been in the US market, it depends entirely on the exact fuel prices at the time. Diesel vs gasoline at a 4 and 3 dollar price point respectively, presents a simple situation of a 33.3% fuel price increase for a 33.3% increase in efficiency. It's a wash.
How about some real-world numbers then? Today's national average for gasoline is $2.276 vs $2.854 for diesel. That's a premium of 25% to get 33% better mileage, (which assumes typical efficiency differences translate directly to final mpg numbers, which is up for debate). So, having come out ahead in this scenario by 8% and assuming nothing changes with regard to fuel prices for a very improbable amount of time, we can calculate the TOTAL advantage of a diesel Elio. Based on a $6800 retail price and a generous 80 mpg average with a life expectancy of 200,000 miles at current fuel prices and assuming no mechanical problems, I get a difference in operating cost of 2.276*10-3, (that's ten to the negative three for anyone bored and/or nerdy enough to be following the math), which means over the generous 200,000 mile life of the vehicle you would save $455.20 with a diesel. I cannot fathom ANY world in which they could put a diesel engine in that vehicle for less than $500 over the cost of the conventional gasoline model. Even if fuel prices doubled, it's not worth all the trouble to save a grand over the life of the vehicle.
In any scenario diesels are expensive to operate and repair. They make sense for vehicles that use a lot of fuel 'cause they save money. On a vehicle which uses very little fuel in the first place there is not that much room for savings. One $3000 injector pump job will put you well into the red for the entire life of the vehicle. Add that to the premium they would have to charge for a diesel model in the first place and your wallet would almost certainly take a HUGE beating compared to a simple reliable and cheap gasoline model.

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Neat. That big balance shaft/connector is the killer though. Im sure it's needed to make it work, but as the chart shows, drops the 4 cyl efficiency below a normal 4 banger, and adds cost and complexity.

Maybe a larger version, say an I6-5-4-3 or something similar would have enough overall efficiency gain to offset that, but I'm just guessing. The I4-2 shown would have limited applications I would think.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just a picture.
radial engine, crash.jpg

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Interesting approach. That would open a lot of possible new configurations of pistons and combustion chamber designs. For the short term though, that's a lot of high-end laser technology to try to bring in at a consumer-level price tag. A fancy ignition system on a cargo ship can cost a million bucks and they wouldn't think twice, but getting it down to personal vehicle pricing might be a challenge.

Top Bottom