• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Piaggio Scooter

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, the bureaucrats here in US and Canada are going to have to change their mindset to allow a return to affordable micro-vehicles, aka
crash tests or accept race-car like crash cages. Many designs out there won't or don't pass Transport Canada scrutiny. More regs than I can shake a stick at.
The Tango commuter micro car is faster than a Dodge Viper and safer than a SUV. However, there apparently isn’t enough scaled production market demand to make it affordable. Wait a minute........perhaps government incentive programs to buy micro cars is the answer?

Last edited:

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's only $108K, so that should work. My guess is that it probably ran into stability problems and side impact would be a definite challenge. In general, government assistance would be great if micro cars served a purpose. I am not seeing where it would do any good as solving any issues except for being cute and getting noticed.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's only $108K, so that should work. My guess is that it probably ran into stability problems and side impact would be a definite challenge. In general, government assistance would be great if micro cars served a purpose. I am not seeing where it would do any good as solving any issues except for being cute and getting noticed.
More stabile than a Porsche in the slalom testing and the NASCAR engineered roll cage is side impact safer than any SUV on the road. It’s cute (makes me smile), high performance 0-60 in 4 seconds, and 5 star plus safety rated. The only issue may be the clown car styling, but the more I look at it the more I like it. 10K units per year would apparently get the msrp down to $15-20K.
A6DF3886-99A4-4730-817A-E9300FE3B62C.jpeg

Fun video showing that it handles well in deep snow:

Last edited:

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
More stabile than a Porsche in the slalom testing and the NASCAR engineered roll cage is side impact safer than any SUV on the road. It’s cute (makes me smile), high performance 0-60 in 4 seconds, and 5 star plus safety rated. The only issue may be the clown car styling, but the more I look at it the more I like it. 10K units per year would apparently get the msrp down to $15-20K.
View attachment 23262

Fun video showing that it handles well in deep snow:
I want to see it practiced with real world testing. Not what someone says. Also a NASCAR cage is dangerous as can be unless you are strapped in with a 6 point harness and a seat that is really secured to the floor along with plenty of high density roll cage padding. There's a reason why passenger cars do not have a NASCAR cage in them.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I want to see it practiced with real world testing. Not what someone says. Also a NASCAR cage is dangerous as can be unless you are strapped in with a 6 point harness and a seat that is really secured to the floor along with plenty of high density roll cage padding. There's a reason why passenger cars do not have a NASCAR cage in them.
Apparently you feel it’s over engineered. :) Sparco Seats that are really secured to the floor and the 4 point harness would keep me securely strapped in. Regardless, it’s not going to be affordable and available to the masses anytime soon. http://commutercars.com/safety.html

TexasTesla

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Tango commuter micro car is faster than a Dodge Viper and safer than a SUV. However, there apparently isn’t enough scaled production market demand to make it affordable. Wait a minute........perhaps government incentive programs to buy micro cars is the answer?

Here’s a bit more information on the “Tango”, basically it’s a build to order custom vehicle.

The Tango is an ultra-narrow electric sports car initially designed and built by Commuter Cars, an American company based in Spokane, Washington, that sells this car worldwide for $108,000.

Production of the first version, at a rate of about 100 cars per year, was set to begin in late 2005. Actor George Clooney took delivery of the first Tango kit on August 9, 2005, which was a major milestone for the company. Clooney appeared in the press with the car, explaining and promoting it. Difficulties with their UK manufacturer forced CommuterCars to take over manufacturing themselves; for this reason the second vehicle did not ship until February 11, 2008, and was completely assembled in Spokane, Washington. The second car eventually found its way into the second-floor office of Google CEO Eric Schmidt as part of an April Fools' Day joke. By 2015, fewer than 20 cars had been built in the United States.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We could probably go on all month with obscure ideas of people with the best ideas in transportation over the last 20 years. We might as well being up V-Vehicles that had super duper rich T-Boone Pickens, Mazda RX-7/Miata Designer and Elio Engineering behind it, plus made in an ex GM plant in LA. That was a long time ago and it's history. Imagine how cool it would have been!
https://www.fastcompany.com/1297138/v-vehicle-auto-start-t-boone-pickens-and-kleiner-perkins

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, the bureaucrats here in US and Canada are going to have to change their mindset to allow a return to affordable micro-vehicles, aka
crash tests or accept race-car like crash cages. Many designs out there won't or don't pass Transport Canada scrutiny. More regs than I can shake a stick at.
Why would bureaucrats change their "minds" about smaller (more efficient) transportation. Last I looked there is no small car lobby donating to PACs
The day after an election, they are already planning their re-election, and for sure are not counting on advocates of efficient transportation when the oil lobby(s) throw them big bones.
(Hopefully this post might slide under the scrutiny of the "sensors" as it's not specificlly focused nor advocting, but just adding to existing comments about our government)

mkiker2089

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Interesting that the Piaggio 'scooter' (above) is four wheeled. Maybe those Italians know something we don't about jumping thru US state licensing hoops. Incidentally I'm a vespa guy and am a big fan of Piaggio, in general.

I don't know if it's been mentioned but Italy and most of Europe base a car on several specs. Engine size and the lack of a trunk according to James May. For some reason unknown to me or Jame May England adopted the three wheel rule and former colonies seem to have fallen in line. I guess it's similar to the kei cars in Japan but even less regulated.

The interesting thing no one has mentioned is the new low volume laws that are fluctuating. They are designed to make kit cars and replicas easier to sell but I don't see why Elio couldn't use it. The amount would be a problem at first but 325 is better than zero. Well, maybe not.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't know if it's been mentioned but Italy and most of Europe base a car on several specs. Engine size and the lack of a trunk according to James May. For some reason unknown to me or Jame May England adopted the three wheel rule and former colonies seem to have fallen in line. I guess it's similar to the kei cars in Japan but even less regulated.

The interesting thing no one has mentioned is the new low volume laws that are fluctuating. They are designed to make kit cars and replicas easier to sell but I don't see why Elio couldn't use it. The amount would be a problem at first but 325 is better than zero. Well, maybe not.
As for the cost of ownership, it depends on the country when in Europe. I do think this, owning a car there costs way more than here. I checked out my Golf and the cost of owning it in Germany per year (taxes and inspection). In the US, my car costs $35/year for taxes (aka license) and $75/year on inspection/emissions. The same exact car in Germany would be $550/year in taxes (aka license) and $600/year inspection/emissions. If I had a diesel the taxes would be $400/year (inspection and emissions are the same) and $350 if I had the 998 cc 3 cylinder turbo motor in it. As for the US, it doesn't matter what I own, they are the same for taxes and the only savings is a diesel because where i live, no emissions.

One of the reasons why a VW Golf is the biggest seller for VW in Europe is because it checks all of the boxes and it's not some micro car that is impractical for everyday use. So, this is why no matter where you go in Europe, a 4 door hatchback with either a 1599 cc diesel or 999 cc 3 cylinder are the biggest sellers. Those are the tax breaks. Since Europeans are not too hip on owning more than one car, they get one that counts. The biggest problem that kills the microcars is public transportation. It's too easy and too cheap to use. No need for that microcar, thus the reason why you rarely see them any more as opposed to 30 years ago.

As for those Kei cars. They are going away too. They were all the rage back in the 80's but now you rarely see them. Just like in Europe, people but one car that counts and then uses public transportation.

If we taxed cars on the fuel consumption, emissions and engine size like in Europe, we'd see a completely different landscape. The Elio would have been out 10 years ago. In the end, Owning a Suburban vs a Nissan Versa costs the same per year. As for an Elio not enough to make a difference as it's only $19/year on taxes and $20/year for inspection (at least where I live). $39 vs $110 is not going to make someone sell that Surburban. If it was $1,500 vs $30 then that might get people thinking.

Top Bottom