• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Piaggio Scooter

Tre'

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, I would give up my Suburban if you show me the spec that shows an Elio can tow my Travel Trailer or boat... The Elio was never designed to be an 'only' vehicle. The funny thing in your analogy is I also have a Nissan Versa! It is the 'go to' commuter/daily driver we bought when Elio was not getting it done. It has 60K on it now.
I don't know about other countries but here we have a lot of toys to haul around. What do you suggest we do? Change interests? With more people buying 'in town' and having everything within walking distance perhaps we are going that way. A VW Golf wouldn't haul either one of the things I mentioned.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Think about it, if you could get away with a smaller travel trailer and boat because your Suburban cost you $1500/year as opposed to $100, you might go for it. On the other hand maybe not. Plus, the US public transportation system is garbage, so you need to have another car. In Europe and Asia, you don't.

Just do some reading, here's what they do in Europe and look at what they are towing and what they are towing it with.
https://www.practicalcaravan.com/reviews/tow-car

Here's a review on a VW Golf and it tows up to 3500 lbs. When was the last time you seen someone tow a camper with a Golf in the US?
https://www.practicalcaravan.com/reviews/tow-car/29763-volkswagen-golf

Tre'

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A big part of towing is where you are towing to. Flat smooth roads are far different than logging roads, which are different from 'unimproved' roads. Another difference is light or ultra light travel trailers or light boats compared to the heavier versions. Windy conditions also make a difference.
There are a number of YouTube vids of people with little cars sliding into the water or standing on just the front tires on a steep boat ramp. Same with jack knifed TT's. When towing it is far safer to be over heavy with the tow vehicle than being at the limit of the 'recommended' tow capacity for said vehicle.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A big part of towing is where you are towing to. Flat smooth roads are far different than logging roads, which are different from 'unimproved' roads. Another difference is light or ultra light travel trailers or light boats compared to the heavier versions. Windy conditions also make a difference.
There are a number of YouTube vids of people with little cars sliding into the water or standing on just the front tires on a steep boat ramp. Same with jack knifed TT's. When towing it is far safer to be over heavy with the tow vehicle than being at the limit of the 'recommended' tow capacity for said vehicle.
I suggest that you go caravanning in Europe. You'll probably change your idea as to what they do and what we do.

Top Bottom