• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Real P5 ?

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If the 135 size is the tire width, I think that is a bad move. That is like a MC tire. Based on the size and weight of the vehicle, It seems to me that a better width would be 175.
Again.....Cooper at one time did make a 165 width tire in the LRR mode. It seems more logical for them to produce that tire in a 15" dia.
My opinion.
Willie

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If the 135 size is the tire width, I think that is a bad move. That is like a MC tire. Based on the size and weight of the vehicle, It seems to me that a better width would be 175.
Again.....Cooper at one time did make a 165 width tire in the LRR mode. It seems more logical for them to produce that tire in a 15" dia.
My opinion.
Willie
I'm sure it seems weird, we all, being used to cars and sports bikes. But think about the rear tire on a large displacement sport bike. Take that width and split it in half. Let us say the equivalent auto-tire with that patch area was a 270. That's a huge tire more than plenty for 800lbs dry load. Now split it in half. That's what you got. Weight transfer included it's still about right.

What they did on one of the Viking cars at WWII, they put two MC front tires on a special rim. The car was 1200lb or so. The MC tires were each notably less than a 135 tire. The desire there was less unsprung weight. ( and vehicle weight )

As for me, I'd be happy with a 145. But if they figure the 135 is right per the manufacturer, I'm game for that. It means higher efficiency than the 145 could give. We won't see it much, it's under the cover.

The 135 quote was conversational with Jerome. There is always a smidgion of a chance he heard me say something else. But I asked 135? the one now and the new one?

Last edited:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It seems more logical for them to produce that tire in a 15" dia.
Yea, I didn't ask about that. It's not a contract that EM sticks to any particular rim size or wheel height for that mater.
Wouldn't hurt my feelings if it turned out to be a 18inch rim and a 28inch tire diameter. The bigger the diameter the slightly larger the tire patch.
But off-the-shelf probably would be a 16 at max

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My opinion.
Willie
better let Paul know your thinking on that!

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My opinion.
Willie
135 is about a 5" wide tire. That seems narrow by today's norms, but consider that full size pickups left the factories by the millions on 6" wide tires as recently as the 70s.

The wider the tire, the more rolling resistance, and at some point actually less traction in adverse conditions.

Another thing to consider if you're comparing to cycle tires is that they are rounded for cornering, vs a square profile on a car tire, so it has a smaller footprint. Hope this makes sense.

Ian442

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What about the tires that were on the original VW Beetle. I do not remember the size but they were very tall and narrow, almost reminded me of like a wagon wheel. I am thinking narrow tires like that are better for poor weather and also perhaps better fuel economy.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What about the tires that were on the original VW Beetle. I do not remember the size but they were very tall and narrow, almost reminded me of like a wagon wheel. I am thinking narrow tires like that are better for poor weather and also perhaps better fuel economy.
True. Jerome also told me that these tires would be better in both snow and standing water. So hydroplaning was something that is always part of the calculation that tire manufacturers consider when they design for tire width in standard operations. The actual car maker has other considerations like sports traction and looks. Obviously EM is siding with economy engineering over looks.

This does open the door for customization for those who want both an open wheel and a sharpened styling, at the expense of efficiency. And why not? To each their own.

Added: The 1970 (OE) VW Bug had 165/80-15 , so a 15in rim. 80's are tall on a 15.

Last edited:

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I do like the open wheel look, but I'm not sure the cost is worth it. I'm not too worried about the loss of efficiency, that is important. The cost of the new parts and tires would not be insignificant.

Top Bottom