• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Real P5 ?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like the Red Hot P5 is done, being fine tuned by IAV, and ready to roll to the LA Auto Show. That is my understanding from the email. The P5 Reveal: November 19th 10 a.m. (Pacific Time)
I don't know if I would agree with "done" but it's a lot closer then the last pictures they released.
They state reveal in 15 days; figure 3 days to get there and make ready which is usually the 2 days before the show opens.
So they still have 10 days to do whatever is needed to finish; that is a good amount of time to have to work on it still.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Right now, the vehicle is going through its final prep at IAV’s facility in suburban Detroit. From there, we’ll load it on the truck and make the trek across the country to the LA Auto Show.

this seems to me to indicate the pictures of the P5 build have been released well after they occurred .... its good to see a definitive statement that the P5 will be at the LA show as per Paul's goal

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't know if I would agree with "done" but it's a lot closer then the last pictures they released.
They state reveal in 15 days; figure 3 days to get there and make ready which is usually the 2 days before the show opens.
So they still have 10 days to do whatever is needed to finish; that is a good amount of time to have to work on it still.
Done in the sense that the P5 has moved from Technosports facilities to IAV for fine tuning. The interior work and painting must be done because it's going from IAV to the big auto show. EM said it would be done the end of October so they would have some time for tweaking before the show. I'm giving EM credit for meeting that schedule. 3 Cheers!

Last edited:

Adamant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just got this in my email!

Fifteen Days Away from P5 Launch!

Elio Motors has hit a lot of milestones lately.

We have more than 46,000 Elio vehicle reservations.

Our “testing the waters” phase of our crowdfunding initiative brought in more than $44 million

in non-binding expressions of interest.
Heck, even our tour team posted its 100th blog.

All those things are great. But, at our core, we are an engineering company. And, nothing gets us going quite like seeing our designs come to life.

So what’s our next really big milestone? The P5 prototype vehicle is coming. And, we can barely contain ourselves!

On Nov. 19 at 10 a.m. (Pacific Time), we’ll be in the South Hall Atrium at the Los Angeles Convention Center. It’ll be media days at the Los Angeles Auto Show and we’ll be introducing the P5 publicly for the first time to throngs of automotive journalists. In addition, we’ll be rubbing shoulders with leaders in the auto industry at one of the most influential motor shows in the world.

IMG_14902.jpg

Elio Motors Display at SEMA

Why is this so significant? The P5 will be our first vehicle to feature our prototype engine. It is a major step forward for the company and definitely a reason to celebrate.

There are a lot of hurdles to clear when launching a start-up transportation company. Developing an engine that has the power and fuel efficiency that our customers will demand was one of the most important hurdles we’ve faced.

IAV features a team of some of the best engine developers in the world. The company has a great pedigree, too. They’ve developed engines for the likes of Mercedes and BMW and are world-renowned for their expertise. They’ve been an incredible partner and a big reason why we’re so excited about the LA launch.

The Elio requires a unique blend of power and efficiency and when we looked at existing engines, there was nothing that quite met our needs. We realized we needed to take a big step and become the first start-up transportation company in the United States in the past 60 years to build its own unique internal combustion engine.

IAV came through. The 0.9L, 3-cylinder engine is both powerful and efficient. We are well on our way to hitting our target of up to 84 MPG. And, let's remember the vehicle will hit 0-60 in 9.6 seconds. Of course, it’s slated to top out at a little more than 100 MPH so it will have some pep (though we strongly suggest you adhere to all local speed limits!).

Right now, the vehicle is going through its final prep at IAV’s facility in suburban Detroit. From there, we’ll load it on the truck and make the trek across the country to the LA Auto Show.

There aren’t many days when we take a deep breath and celebrate a milestone. But, this time we will. We are making great progress, thanks in large part to suppliers such as IAV and the technology they provide.

We are looking forward to sharing it with you!

Is this going to be a working and legit P5? Or just the giant paper weight people were talking about that's purely for show?

If they had time, maybe they should drive it out to LA. Would be a hella'va selling point.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Is this going to be a working and legit P5? Or just the giant paper weight people were talking about that's purely for show?

If they had time, maybe they should drive it out to LA. Would be a hella'va selling point.
A brand new prototype you're going to display to the world; no; I wouldn't take the chance of driving it and have some teenager that had to text her BFF about nothing hitting it.

Adamant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A brand new prototype you're going to display to the world; no; I wouldn't take the chance of driving it and have some teenager that had to text her BFF about nothing hitting it.

Yeah, that's true. So then this is the real deal, working P5 with the new engine and the whole nine yards? Hopefully they'll be able to start MPG testing asap so we can get the official word on that.

cantwait

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, that's true. So then this is the real deal, working P5 with the new engine and the whole nine yards? Hopefully they'll be able to start MPG testing asap so we can get the official word on that.
I was hoping for the real deal, but the consensus on the forum seems to be that it won't be much more than a shell with the IAV engine. I was told not to get my expectations up.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was hoping for the real deal, but the consensus on the forum seems to be that it won't be much more than a shell with the IAV engine. I was told not to get my expectations up.
My expectations are peaked, never higher. Join the club.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Not sure what you think consensus means, or what the "real deal" means to you.
As far as the Prototype series, the P5 is the real deal. (Probably the last of the P series.)
As far as the Engineering series (E1 - E25), there are different versions for different purposes.
As far as Production, we have been told (can't remember where I read it), #1 through #125 will be used for internal purposes.
So if you want the real deal, you're looking for #126 or higher.

Top Bottom