• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Real P5 ?

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
As long as we are this far off-topic.... While the Elio won't scare off bikers due to the perceived risk factor, it probably won't attract many of them because of the low performance. Right now, the Elio is more like an enclosed scooter than an enclosed motorcycle. Some people will see that as a good thing, while others may not.

absolutely true .... once EM adds a turbo to the option list it will stimulate interest among yet another segment of the market

Bilbo B

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There were detailed sound system specs in the supplier video showing various speaker locations to include a micro sub woofer. Has the audio gear changed since?

A year ago Cooper was supplying the Tires and Continental the Electronics. Now Continental is supplying the tires and MTX is doing the (some?) Electronics. I've no idea which system they were referencing in that video.

Looking at the MTX website, it's not clear exactly what they'll be providing Elio. Looks like they're mostly speaker packages, amps, and adapters for Smart Phones. I don't see what I'd consider a head unit (radio, cd, whatever). Almost implies your phone becomes the audio system and connects to the MTX gear via Bluetooth or USB cable. It'll be interesting to see more details. I want a basic AM/FM radio built into the Elio. I'm not sure this precludes that. Maybe today's blog post will have more details.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As long as we are this far off-topic.... While the Elio won't scare off bikers due to the perceived risk factor, it probably won't attract many of them because of the low performance. Right now, the Elio is more like an enclosed scooter than an enclosed motorcycle. Some people will see that as a good thing, while others may not.
Marketing the P5 to a specific demographic isn't too far off topic. The Elio is closer to a MC than a scooter with it's current 0-60 and top speed. A turbo option would bump those numbers.

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
absolutely true .... once EM adds a turbo to the option list it will stimulate interest among yet another segment of the market
Absolutely true......once EM adds an EV option yet another market segment with a quicker 0-60 than the turbo. Lol

cantwait

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Marketing the P5 to a specific demographic isn't too far off topic. The Elio is closer to a MC than a scooter with it's current 0-60 and top speed. A turbo option would bump those numbers.
Maxi-scooters run 0-60 in the eight-second range.
250 sport bikes - seven-second range on down.
"average" motorcycles 3-5 second range.
Only scooters and really slow, small bikes (250 cruisers included) take over 9 seconds to hit 60mph.
http://www.zeroto60times.com/body-style/motorcycle/

When it first came out, I thought the Elio would appeal to motorcyclists. Now, I think the appeal would be more directed to scooter riders and economy-car drivers.

Not really a big deal. Riders whose fastest bike was a 250 would probably be okay with the Elio's acceleration. I agree that a turbo, or other horsepower bump would widen the appeal to a broader demographic.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Maxi-scooters run 0-60 in the eight-second range.
250 sport bikes - seven-second range on down.
"average" motorcycles 3-5 second range.
Only scooters and really slow, small bikes (250 cruisers included) take over 9 seconds to hit 60mph.
http://www.zeroto60times.com/body-style/motorcycle/

When it first came out, I thought the Elio would appeal to motorcyclists. Now, I think the appeal would be more directed to scooter riders and economy-car drivers.

Not really a big deal. Riders whose fastest bike was a 250 would probably be okay with the Elio's acceleration. I agree that a turbo, or other horsepower bump would widen the appeal to a broader demographic.

You may be right. But if you are in the position where the best you can afford is a 10 year old clunker with 150K miles on it you may not care about 0-60 as much as you do about something that gets you from home to work and back Monday thru Friday without any major problems.

Adamant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've wanted a turbo on that thing since I first laid eyes on it. It would kick serious ass with just 20 extra horsepower.

I'm still a little confused...... does the turbo positively or negatively affect gas mileage? I remember some people saying it would go down, but I've also read some articles where they say a turbo will give you better gas mileage (as long as you're not constantly punching it into high boost)

Absolutely true......once EM adds an EV option yet another market segment with a quicker 0-60 than the turbo. Lol

What's the EV option and what makes it faster 0-60 than a turbo?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm still a little confused...... does the turbo positively or negatively affect gas mileage? I remember some people saying it would go down, but I've also read some articles where they say a turbo will give you better gas mileage (as long as you're not constantly punching it into high boost)

What's the EV option and what makes it faster 0-60 than a turbo?
EV Option = the future Elio Electric with dual front wheel electric motors, 0 - 60 mph in 3.5 seconds. It was just EV humor. Even though the electric Elio would beat the turbo Elio off the line the turbo would win the long distance race.

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Turbochargers do generally improve the engine efficiency, which is part of how they produce more power. The issue is that overall vehicle efficiency depends heavily on how it is driven and how well matched the engine, transmission and rest of the vehicle are. When you add a turbo to an existing vehicle, the engine torque curve is not going to match the gearing as well. And then there's the lead foot effect ...

Rick, where did you get the 4.5sec 0-60 time for an EV Elio? I didn't think they had even looked at EV other than just the notion that they might consider it later.

Anyway, EVs can feel quick because they produce maximum torque at just above zero rpm. It'll depend on the exact motor specs and gearing whether it'll actually end up faster in 0-60, though.

Top Bottom