• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Talk Me Into Taking The Plunge Thread

dancescientist

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I first saw the Elio on my Facebook newsfeed 10 days ago and have been watching it ever since. I almost put in a $100 non-refundable deposit the first day, but then read the details about the different levels of reservation. All of a sudden, it sounded like a scam.

I read more about the Elio online and discovered this forum. There's a lot of good debate here. One thing that concerns me is the high-level of faith of those who put in $1,000 to get in line. Many do not sound like people who can afford to lose their investment/wager. Will they all riot and sue if Elio folds and takes their money with them? Or, will they accept their loss and continue to support the Elio company -- "they had good intentions, did their best, but couldn't bring the car to reality"?

Sidecar Bob

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the fun!

If you buy a Lottery ticket do you expect to win, or are you chasing the dream?

For your $ 1000. You get a Tee shirt, a bumper sticker, and a chance to be the first in your neighborhood to have a new ELIO when they are made.

We are chasing Mr. Elio’s dream.

Until it’s reality, we are enjoying the adventure and the dream.

We are all looking forward to driving an ELIO.

If not, it is still a great adventure to be a part of.

This is my point of the view.

Bob

RMClubfitter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When you buy the ticket there are no Refunds. No recourse. Supporting an idea that is long overdue. Doing what I can to save the environment (less gas, less carbon footprint) and our economy (more jobs). My stock could go up or it could go down. It's a gamble (as is so many other things in life). When I got married it was a gamble. When I get on a 2 lane road and meet a car doing 60 MPH and I'm doing 60 MPH I am a second away from a 120 MPH head on collision. JMHO

Last edited:

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome Dance,

Ask a $1k person, yup I'll be a bit hot for a while if I lose it, but I did the $1k using an unexpected bonus from work and so I'm not really out any extra money from my annual budget. However, I've really wanted this exact form factor in a car for quite some time and the $500 bonus, $6800 sticker price, 49mpg city 84mpg highway are really nice perks.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I first saw the Elio on my Facebook newsfeed 10 days ago and have been watching it ever since. I almost put in a $100 non-refundable deposit the first day, but then read the details about the different levels of reservation. All of a sudden, it sounded like a scam.

I read more about the Elio online and discovered this forum. There's a lot of good debate here. One thing that concerns me is the high-level of faith of those who put in $1,000 to get in line. Many do not sound like people who can afford to lose their investment/wager. Will they all riot and sue if Elio folds and takes their money with them? Or, will they accept their loss and continue to support the Elio company -- "they had good intentions, did their best, but couldn't bring the car to reality"?
Hi and welcome from Oregon, dancescientist. I am low income and first learned about the Elio in January. I went all in at $100 in March. Since then I have been squirreling away any extra cash so I can upgrade to $500. I would have already upgraded to $250 but they only offer the $500 and $1000 options. My #1 son introduced me to the Elio and I read the contract out loud to him before I signed up. He asked if I would be willing to put in $1000 if I had it and I said yes. I still feel that way and in fact my "faith" has actually increased with each month passing. Delays do not worry me, they happen. I have gone from a 10 out of 10 to a 20 out of 10 in my support level for Elio Motors and the Elio. How anyone can seriously look at the work and progress that has been made can consider this a scam is very simply beyond me. So when I go to Portland to see the Elio in July I will up my reservation to $500 and frankly I can't wait. Then I will start the saving process again so I can get that extra $500 in the pot. The Elio is going to happen and when it does I intend to be there to get it. Now all you have to do is decide how much of a gamble you are comfortable with. I would much rather put my money in Elio than in a lottery ticket any day. Enjoy the research and the journey. I will be disappointed if Elio doesn't happen but I will not be angry because I am having the time of my life. Life is meant to be lived and that is exactly what I am doing right now and will continue to do in the future when I have my Elio. :-) Z

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Welcome to the forum and for your interest in the Elio. Review the forum because it will give you all the information you will need to make a decision if the Elio is for you. If you are unwilling to make a $100 "all-In" reservation to guarantee a place in the production line my advise is to just wait until production begins and get in the back of the line. There are optimists and pessimists and you have to decide which you are. I choose to be an optimist.

dancescientist

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
OK, these comments make me feel a lot better. I do think Elio has good intentions, unlike the the 1975 Dale. However, they're setting their goals high, which does increase the chance of failure.

I can afford to lose $100 or $1,000, but I'd like to invest in something that has a reasonable chance of success. Like, I hear they need at least $200m to start and have only raised $50m. Even if they get 40K reservations by the end of the year, the reservation money won't add up to more than $20m. Sounds like they need 30K people to pay the entire $6,800 up front to reach $200m. Well, if that will guarantee the car be made, and there are 29,999 others who can make the same commitment, I'd be more excited to put my money in. :)

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK, these comments make me feel a lot better. I do think Elio has good intentions, unlike the the 1975 Dale. However, they're setting their goals high, which does increase the chance of failure.

I can afford to lose $100 or $1,000, but I'd like to invest in something that has a reasonable chance of success. Like, I hear they need at least $200m to start and have only raised $50m. Even if they get 40K reservations by the end of the year, the reservation money won't add up to more than $20m. Sounds like they need 30K people to pay the entire $6,800 up front to reach $200m. Well, if that will guarantee the car be made, and there are 29,999 others who can make the same commitment, I'd be more excited to put my money in. :)
I think you need to do a lot more reading. It looks like you haven't even gotten to the good parts. Keep reading and you will see EM is in much better condition than your post implies. Also take into consideration we have had a group of "trolls" doing everything in their power to slow down and undermine the Elio enthusiasm. Some of us have wondered if they are in fact paid for the mind messing. You can choose to follow their lead or those of us who are true believers. That is one of the great things about living in a free country. We still have choices. :-) Z

dancescientist

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Well, one thread containing a recent statement from Elio generated a lot of discussion:
http://www.elioowners.com/threads/investor-question-answered.1592/

Some interpreted positively, while others negatively. I can't help but notice the lack of any specifics on who these investors are and how much money are they pledging. And, what these alternative options were if things don't work out like they say.

Well, it looks like I still have about six months before the reservation period could be closed. If things look much brighter 4 months from now, I could just put in a $1K reservation and get ahead of the other $100-500 reservations.

Top Bottom