• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Talk Me Into Taking The Plunge Thread

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
well understood .... I really respect the folks who believe so strongly that they have put up anywhere from $100 to $1000 so far in advance .... I also respect the folks who like what they hear but aren't ready to commit .... my first reaction was scam .... that quickly began to moderate as I learned about program's development .... note, I said moderate, I didn't say disappear .... for us, we will not purchase anything (be it an Elio or Stallion) until the spring of 2016

Jim

We have quite a number of members who have not reserved Elios. These members range from complete skeptics who believe this is a scam to members who are just not willing to accept any level of risk with their hard earned money. As this is an open forum myself, along with many other members, appreciate and welcome all points of view as this adds more flavor to our discussions. :)

The only time I have an issue with members opinions is when they are presented in a manner disrespectful of other members and their opinions however this has definitely not been the case in this thread so far. :cool:

cdurrett

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Or, Everybody is different and Everybody is special. :) Z

Not exactly the right forum for this but I'll bite.

"Everybody is different." Is a call for mercy.
"Nobody is special." Is a call for justice.

The phrase is an attempt to answer the old, old question "Would you rather be unmerciful or unjust?" with "Neither".

See - wrong forum for this discussion. :-)

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I
Had my CC information typed in and then read the part that says PRICE NOT guaranteed, or even a sale guaranteed . I'm not afraid of a deposit (got one of the first Segways that way) but got paperwork with balance on it. When a businessman can't deliver on the price he advertises I think I'll wait. When I was in business if I gave you a price that was what you paid.
I even had a new yard sign made for the jump.
Anyway here it is and I will get one when I feel the person's word will be backed up or I can drive 30 miles and pick it up.View attachment 2420
I wish Good Luck to the rest and the best for the ELIO.

I'm not concerned about minor price fluctuation -- even 10% would be OK with me. I can understand someone wanting a guarantee on an existing product, but on a new one? Why should Paul Elio take a bath if despite making every effort they're $7.50 off their $6800 price target? That's why the legally protective language is in there. And why, if you think this car is worthwhile, you should put your money down.

I started at 250, then last week made it 500 all in. The 250 I could afford to lose. The $500 is a lot more painful if it goes south. So why make the change? partly for a bit earlier place in line. But mainly to show support for something I believe in. And I'm increasingly confident that Elio WILL make it.

The rational part of me was fine at $250. But this is going beyond reasonable for me, and for a lot of folks.

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Had my CC information typed in and then read the part that says PRICE NOT guaranteed, or even a sale guaranteed . I'm not afraid of a deposit (got one of the first Segways that way) but got paperwork with balance on it. When a businessman can't deliver on the price he advertises I think I'll wait. When I was in business if I gave you a price that was what you paid.
I even had a new yard sign made for the jump.
Anyway here it is and I will get one when I feel the person's word will be backed up or I can drive 30 miles and pick it up.View attachment 2420
I wish Good Luck to the rest and the best for the ELIO.
So if anyone sees 33226 screaming people chasing a guy on a Segway down the streets of La. , a year from now, we will all know, you are a very wise man, Wayne. If you see a guy on a Segway waiting at a traffic light, waiting for all those Elios to clear the intersection, then we will all give him an eco-friendly wave as we go by. Fair Enough?? At least you considered the concept. Not the end of the world if you have to wait an additional year to buy one.

UCF'73

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The decision is something of a gamble but a calculated one. There is a small probability that the project will fail and all the reservation fees will be lost. There is also a higher probability that the price of the vehicle will increase from the early commitment price, so that those who do not reserve will end up paying more than those with reservations. Being too financially conservative can sometimes backfire, as with those in the early 90s who opted to put all their 401k money in a safe money market account instead of the volatile stock market.

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We all do our own thing. For me, I am excited but I am treating this as a business decision. I am ready to back out at any time until I see some more results like a final price, set production date, options list and cost, and crash test ratings.

I want Elio to succeed but I'm not going to get emotionally involved.

As much as I want an Elio, there are plenty of other used cars out there that would suit my needs as well.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We all do our own thing. For me, I am excited but I am treating this as a business decision. I am ready to back out at any time until I see some more results like a final price, set production date, options list and cost, and crash test ratings.

I want Elio to succeed but I'm not going to get emotionally involved.

As much as I want an Elio, there are plenty of other used cars out there that would suit my needs as well.
Oh my, such blasphemy! There are no used cars as great as our Elio. Of course, you are right, they do exist. Our Elio doesn't yet. LOL :-) Z

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
The only reason I'm not in, even for $100, is that I will be in England for two more years from now. Otherwise, I would have sent the money and considered it like any other investment: no guarantees, some risk of loss, and potential for GREAT PAYOFF!

I hear ya Marco, fully respect your decision. Makes sense.

Top Bottom