• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Tucker...an Elio Design Precedent?

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since high school physics was in 1966, I'm lucky the law of gravity still applies.
:D

You know what's really freaky? There IS no law of gravity. There are still too many equally valid and equally untestable theories for us to declare gravity a law! (Quantum gravity, Newtonian Gravity, Einstein's theories of gravity, and gravity as an apparent force but really just reflections of higher order, n-manifold universes theories). Don't that make your head spin?

jdkeats

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There are not many direct head on collisions, most of the "so called" head on's are impacts on the corners. Impact testing may reflect that advantage.
If I had a choice of impacting another car "wheel to wheel" with a car or an Elio, the Elio may have the distinct advantage by missing the passenger compartment completely. It may just tear off the front suspension.

Jay3wheel

Elio Addict
Reaction score

You know what's really freaky? There IS no law of gravity. There are still too many equally valid and equally untestable theories for us to declare gravity a law! (Quantum gravity, Newtonian Gravity, Einstein's theories of gravity, and gravity as an apparent force but really just reflections of higher order, n-manifold universes theories). Don't that make your head spin?

Isn't is nice something can work without a law.

They probably would tax it if they could.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I will buy a set of black P3 fenders for local driving, with some yet of be discovered wheels.

I'm thinking along the same lines .... until I see the final colors I really don't know which one we will pick .... if the price of gas stays down I can see running P3 fenders (color also yet to be determined) with nice looking rims .... doing so can't cost much in the way of MPG's and if/when gas goes back up we can always reinstall the OEM P4 fenders .. :)

Jim

jdkeats

Elio Addict
Reaction score

look ....... Quantum posts they appeared two different places at the exact same time

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Check out these cars! I was doing some research on Art Deco and how it effected the design of, well, almost everything from about the 1920s -40s. Of course it resulted in some fantastic automotive design. As I looked at the cars at this website it began to dawn on me that the Elio's design is right on the edge of Art Deco. Take a look and except for the extra rear wheel on these cars there is a family resemblance going on here! At least I think so.

http://gearpatrol.com/2013/05/10/10-great-art-deco-cars/2/

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The formula for the forces created is F=MxVxV. Mass times velocity squared, the light weight of the Elio will help to reduce the forces in the impact. The speed will still be a bigger factor. Also, the mass of what ever else in involved in the collision, if it is moving also. High school physics was a long time ago, but I doubt the laws have been changed too much.
The problem isn't the force of an impact, it's how much of that force is delivered to the driver. There is a time variable in there. If your head goes 60 to zero in 10 seconds, you are fine. If it does 60 to zero in .1 seconds, you might just be dead. The large crush zones on cars merely slows down the deceleration (or acceleration) to a level that is survivable. That requires the crush zone to take some time to deform and to slowly change the deceleration of the car to the driver. In the Elio, if the crush zone collapses too quickly, the force will be transmitted to the driver too early resulting in more frequent cases of injury to accident. That's what the crash rating is trying to figure out. And, I'm done.

Top Bottom