• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Zoleco

samwichse

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last I heard he was giving up on the eco car market and trying to make an efficient "supercar."

Really reminded me of the Elio in some ways though.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the Zoleco has a nice design.
It seems to have a very aerodynamic design. It looks like it (almost) floating.
I have two minds about this kind of car. My personal thoughts are along the lines of is it cool, is it something I like, would I buy one? Yes, Yes and No.

My other mind is, does this make sense as a product? Would it sell? Is there a reason for the 3 wheels, loosing the handling of the missing 4th wheel? I note the CG is a little high, and the width a little narrow.

I don't feel that sociable seating buys you much to drop down to three wheels. Edison2 solves the 4 wheel aerodynamics pretty well by using outrigger wheels at the back. When you go to tandem seating, now you really get something in exchange for going to 3 wheels. Just my personal feeling. But I think dynamic testing would also provide some challenges for people to doubt on.

So on kit cars and low volume manufacturing, they are expensive. IF cost saving is the central idea, kit cars aren't likely to make sense to many people. So some other attribute needs to be there to get the sales up. Uniqueness is one and low volume product usually guarantees that. But what else does this have? Not really much else. It's different and kind of cool. But is that enough to sell many of them? And as the volume goes down, the price goes up.

It either needs to be much more cool looking (to more people), be efficient to the point that you get a huge ego boost for it, or have the attribute of super-sports while still having high MPG's. Or standout uniquely some other way. The shape IS unique, but is it beautiful enough to enough people? That is questionable as best I can judge, having presented a number of designs in public and gathering that feed back.

Mrtoycrazy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This could be a path Elio could go after the E-car gets off an running . Seem like a possible offering Elio Motors would look at to me , and in ways resembles the E- car somewhat . I do notice four tires on it though. This could be a family Elio and with a three cylinder turbo version ,it could get the same mpg and performance ,if not better.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This could be a path Elio could go after the E-car gets off an running . Seem like a possible offering Elio Motors would look at to me , and in ways resembles the E- car somewhat . I do notice four tires on it though. This could be a family Elio and with a three cylinder turbo version ,it could get the same mpg and performance ,if not better.

Looks Very Expensive. :-) Z

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Looks Very Expensive. :) Z
Off the top of my head, just based on the last video;
I'm a little surprised, only a little, that this guy got so far down the road before figuring out that exotic sports was more accessible than high efficiency Eco mobile at his level of development. Of course he did start his original project before EM announced the Elio publicly.
Switching however means he has to practically start from scratch. He's only keeping the basic style, more changes as you look to the rear.
He does have a archaic idea of how far you can get using a business plan leveraging private investors. Realistically, he should just concentrate on finishing some product ready to sell with a demonstrable profit margin. Even if it's only in the kit car market. Spending so much time on videos for investors etc is just a distraction that many-many others have also failed at.
If he can 'prove' a viable profit margin, investors are more accessible.

There is one more aspect he's not up on, that he may discover a little late. His speed numbers and mpg's are dependent on a low aerodynamic cd. On the street there is a lot of unstable air, wind-wash from other cars, trucks and structures etc. In the sports speed range, there will be much more buffeting than he is expecting. It's not a fun drive. A poorer cd has lots less of that. Racing is a short term situation where a bit of work is expected, and those cars and (sport driving in general) are optimized for handling at least as much as aerodynamics. But his is purely low cd aerodynamics at a low mass. Over 90mph this can get dicey. So you have a choice, get some down force in there or put up with lots of adjusting 'to the line of travel'.

And with a very light car, (no weight and no down force) intended for sports, well, do you like to fly punk? Do ya? Go ahead, make my day! (humor intended)

Last edited:

BigWarpGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Zoleco. From the photo gallery, it does seem to be a three wheel car.
Zoleco-5.jpg

From this view, the back wheels are close together like the Isetta. Diseno-Art.

Top Bottom