• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

They Said The 'p(5)' Word

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Last year ELIO told us they had funding and were ready to go. Some of us would have by now been getting ready to pick up our ELIO's. Now they are working on what the ELIO will be changing it up . I doubt it.
ELIO is in a holding pattern ,treading water looking for cash. I doubt much else is going on.

Charlie G

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If they manage to trot out a production-equivalent P5, I think it will be a pretty big deal. Most of the frequent and valid criticisms of Elio are centered around having never actually built one of the vehicles they're marketing (engine, mpg figures, crash testing, etc). At least the first two could be mostly satisfied by a finalized P5.
I understand the power and value of simulations, but when trying to get investor dollars actually having a final product you can point to and back up your claims seems like it could make a serious difference.

Reaction score
I quote from the blog, "The entire meeting surrounded the development of the next generation prototype,..."
That means they're still drawing it up. It's going to take a while to finalize. The time it will take is part of the normal process.
"The Summit ends today and we will have more to share in the coming weeks including the styling changes of your P5."
There have been a lot of presumptions that all the completed plans were in the drawers and the only obstacle was cash.
On the other hand, "To succeed in a long race like a marathon, you need to do the work that no one sees..."
And, "That behind the scenes action is what we are doing at Elio: the work."

WAS cash !!! HAPPY DANCE !!!

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So some things we already knew or should have known.
They were going for more head room in the rear seat.
....That meant raising the roof line a little and lowering the back seat a little. That's two engineering changes.
New engine and drive train.
....At a guess, repositioned motor mounts, modified suspension mount points, basically all new mount points for everything.
....That's a bunch of major engineering changes.
If the prototype is a pattern, when you change that much you need a new pattern with all of the changes.
And I'm sure the people on the tour were keeping a lists of "Want", "Nice to Have", and "This Ain't Right" items.
So along with the big things, look for a bunch of little tweaks.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
EM obviously doesn't have the finalized specs for the 25 Production Elio's needed to test and tool the plant for the anticipated 2016 production schedule. The good news is that progress is being made on a P5 Elio with the new engine which seems like the logical next step prior to building the 25 production E series needed for tooling the plant and testing. There is no bad news as Elio moves forward to production, only some added disappointment if/when the 2016 production target date is missed.

I have experienced this with a couple of other startup concept vehicles. They start marketing with a production date that is a year or 2 out to garner support, excitement, and reservation deposits. This is followed up with production delays due to funding and disappointment that stretches out 3-5 years to the actual production date.

I had a reservation deposit on the Arcimoto SRK EV Three Wheeler concept at the P5 Stage of development with a P6 Production vehicle about to be finalized to build 12 test vehicles prior to the 2012-13 anticipated production schedule. It's 3 years later and Arcimoto has just announced the "P8" will be unvieled summer 2015. It has evolved with some impressive design and engineering changes due to testing, but production is still 2-3 years out. It's part of the process. When the Arcimoto finally reaches production I will buy one. Same with the Elio.

Had Elio announced back in 2013 a more realistic anticipated 2017 production schedule, there would have been no reservation deposits made due to the much longer wait. It's marketing. I think a 2017-18 Elio production date is more realistic. What will be, will be.

Last edited:

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Last edited:

ecdriver711

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Next up, he said, is putting the Elio through crash tests to prove that the vehicle is safe, although the timetable has not been set.

“We will build 25 prototypes and, sadly, destroy them,” Elio said.

After meeting with suppliers in Detroit this past week, he said the company has started building P5, or Elio prototype five.

The above excerpt from the AZ Centrel mail out this week. They are now building the P5. Sounds positive to me.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Next up, he said, is putting the Elio through crash tests to prove that the vehicle is safe, although the timetable has not been set.

“We will build 25 prototypes and, sadly, destroy them,” Elio said.

After meeting with suppliers in Detroit this past week, he said the company has started building P5, or Elio prototype five.

The above excerpt from the AZ Centrel mail out this week. They are now building the P5. Sounds positive to me.

I read the article.
This is the link to that article.
Paul probably did say that, bless his heart.

But, just for a moment, let's pretend not to get carried away like we usually do.
In the official EM blog, EM said "development". I agree that this alone is cause for a happy dance.
Now who here really thinks that it went from development to actual physical "building" in two days?
Over the course of this vehicle, a lot of what Paul and EM has said has been subject to interpretation.
Just sayin' to possibly save some people more mild frustration and disappointment.
I don't think it's entirely safe to charge over the top just yet.
Patience.

Last edited:

JNR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
EM obviously doesn't have the finalized specs for the 25 Production Elio's needed to test and tool the plant for the anticipated 2016 production schedule. The good news is that progress is being made on a P5 Elio with the new engine which seems like the logical next step prior to building the 25 production E series needed for tooling the plant and testing. There is no bad news as Elio moves forward to production, only some added disappointment if/when the 2016 production target date is missed.

I have experienced this with a couple of other startup concept vehicles. They start marketing with a production date that is a year or 2 out to garner support, excitement, and reservation deposits. This is followed up with production delays due to funding and disappointment that stretches out 3-5 years to the actual production date.

I had a reservation deposit on the Arcimoto SRK EV Three Wheeler concept at the P5 Stage of development with a P6 Production vehicle about to be finalized to build 12 test vehicles prior to the 2012-13 anticipated production schedule. It's 3 years later and Arcimoto has just announced the "P8" will be unvieled summer 2015. It has evolved with some impressive design and engineering changes due to testing, but production is still 2-3 years out. It's part of the process. When the Arcimoto finally reaches production I will buy one. Same with the Elio.

Had Elio announced back in 2013 a more realistic anticipated 2017 production schedule, there would have been no reservation deposits made due to the much longer wait. It's marketing. I think a 2017-18 Elio production date is more realistic. What will be, will be.
Of course I want you to be wrong, but I've come to the same conclusion a long time ago. I just never thought Paul was crook for dreaming big. The target dates are always pie in the sky best case scenarios, but the reality is always much slower. If the overall stages of progress that have been talked about in the past are to be believed, we can't be hopeful for production until we see or hear of the couple dozen or so 'E' series models for testing and that testing actually goes well. How that can get done by summer 2016 seems near impossible. Lots of money can cure everything, but Elio doesn't seem to ever meet, never mind exceed their funding goals.

Top Bottom