• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Thoughts About Elio From A Pickup Lover

What do you currently drive?

• Total voters

cleverwise

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
After a conversation with Goofyone I decided to list my reasons for some interest in the Elio project. You see I am really a truck guy at heart. My dream vehicle is a Nissan Titan Crew Cab with a diesel engine. I completely believe diesel technology is far superior to gasoline in almost every way. I am 100% sold on diesel engines.

Now before I get into the Elio let me explain why I find trucks (and to a degree suv/cuvs so appealing). For starters I really like pickups and have owned some (2003 Dodge Dakota and 2006 Nissan Frontier). I really enjoyed both vehicles. I like the way pickups look (some more than others), I find their beds extremely useful, and I like riding higher. (I personally can't stand sport cars as I feel like my butt is being dragged across the payment.) Also there is the added head room. Pickup trucks (suv's and cuv's too) offer more head room in general. My mother finally left sedans and agrees how she prefers the increased head room and feels less boxed in. I got to say see told you so!

Of course the main disadvantage of bigger trucks, especially full size pickups, is fuel economy. That is beginning to change thanks to diesel technology. In fact the RAM now gets 28 highway mpg which is impressive considering not that long ago 15 or so was the best. There is a race now among Ford, GM, Nissan, Toyota, and Chrysler to see who can develop the most fuel efficient full size truck. The target is 30+ highway and 22+ city which again is a huge jump over the 15ish highway and 12ish city that was common not that long ago. However the advancing engine technology for these vehicles is another thread and discussion in and of itself.

So that brings me to Elio.

Why in the world would someone who likes big heavy vehicles even give Elio a second look? Well for starters let me be honest. I have no current desire to own a Elio. None. So does that mean I think Elio is silly or stupid? No, not at all! I believe Elio can fill some niches. I also think Elio can help bring some changes to the automotive market in other ways. However Elio has some short comings too.

I am going to look at the short comings first. Elio is being touted as the next big thing in the transportation market that will change everyone's life. The same was said about the Segway. There is obviously some marketing hype in the statements I have reviewed from Elio Motors. However that is to be expected from the marketing team. I have no issue with Elio Motors trying to put the best light on their product. That is business 101 and a brings up a duh!

Still Elio falls short in several key areas. Of course for families you aren't going to load up four, five or six people. You aren't going to be towing the family boat to the lake. Nor are you going to be able to bring home a lot of goods from a bigger shopping venture. So the "car" if obviously going to fall short for many people. I think this is where Elio future owners need to becareful. I am not calling out anyone just saying if you are talking to a family with a Nissan Quest trying to push them into the greatness of Elio when the vehicle won't fit their needs it will only build resistance. So clearly Elio is far from the car that we will all be driving in the future.

I also noticed Elio is pushing the idea of fleets for businesses. There is some potential here for sure. A lot of businesses like painting companies, tree removal, window replacement, insurance companies, etc have estimators. The Elio would fit that niche extremely well. I recently needed some foundation work done on my home and every company estimator showed up in smaller vehicles instead of full size pickups. Of course work crews and people like plumbers, electricians, painters, etc will continue to need much bigger vehicles to hold all their tools, supplies, and transport bigger items from home improvement stores and suppliers. My point here is what I mentioned above.

Fuel economy is nice but it is far from the only reason a vehicle is purchased. So that goes back to Elio enthusiasts needing to be a little cautious about preaching their love to others. Of course that doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't talk about the vehicle but clearly this vehicle isn't going to replace vans, pickups, or suv/cuv's. Plus people often buy vehicles because they like the form factor or style and gas has little to do with the equation, although that is certainly high on many people's list these days.

If you have made it this far you might be thinking all I am doing is running down Elio and dumping negative energy into this forum. This is where you will probably start to smile. I believe, again being a truck fan, Elio has done many things well and it is for this reason I have some interest. I first must credit Goofyone's talking about this as when we speak on the phone or meet up in person as he has kept me very up-to-date.

So what IMO has Elio done that deserve's kudos?

Well for starters this isn't some silly electric car. Do electric cars have some potential? Sure. Are we there yet? No freakin' way. I laugh when Nissan Leaf owners brag about not spending money on gas and/or saving the environment. Oh really? So you get electricity free? Oh and that electricity is pollution free, eh? Seeing how most of the US still uses coal I say "yeah, yeah, yeah". Pure nonsense. If someone on here drives a Leaf oh well. I am not against anyone owning them. It is your money. I totally understand and am not against the idea of wanting to be removed from gas pump stops, but we still need technology to improve. I think the better idea for "electric" vehicles is using a gas generator and following the diesel electric train type idea. Anyway I digress; back to Elio.

I like how Elio has been designed to use standard off the shelf parts for most of the vehicle. This adds cost savings and basically you are subsidizing the car off the parts designed for other vehicles. So thank the owners of other cars for buying the high priced version and paying for the R&D. :)

My geekiness and engineer antennas start to twitch when discussing the in's and out's of the Elio design. I, like goofyone, was the kind of kid that took things apart to see how they work, and yes I didn't always get them back together. I enjoy science and technology and reading and learning how things works so it has been entertaining to hear about the way Elio has been designed. So my hat's off to the Elio design team.

I also like new and creative ideas. I like discussing businesses and find it very interesting when new line ideas pop up. I believe the gas payoff solution is extremely novel. Of course we will have to see how well it plays out but it has the potential to cause some changes in the market. Sure most vehicles won't use that method but, assuming it works, it will spur other vehicles to follow suit or at least start thinking of other ways than traditional payment methods. That is nothing short of a win for the consumer and for the businesses that come up with such ideas.

The idea of the retail center sounds very promising too. It could help alter the monopoly traditional car dealership. Those won't be going away but the idea Elio has, along with others, is starting to put cracks in the traditional buying experience. It will be very interesting to see how it all plays out.

I also have to say the idea of hooking up with PepBoys is another ingenious solution. I am sure Paul and co were sitting there going how do we service these "cars" all over the US without some huge dealer network. This is a win-win-win-lose. It is a win for Elio because they don't need to invest in service centers and adds to the selling point that Elio owners will have certified service centers near by (for most markets). It is a win for the customer because they will get official certified Elio support. It is a win for Pepboys as they will pick up business. It is a lose for traditional dealerships because it shows startup "car" companies can have access to instant ready-to-go service centers without the cost or build out. This is another win for the consumer.

The fact this product is being made here in the United States and will create American jobs is really awesome and another great feature of Elio. This is simply amazing especially in the current anti-business environment Washington is creating thanks to both parties. I believe this would change radically if the FairTax was passed but that is for another thread/topic. Anyway back to Elio that is very commendable. Plus I have heard other countries like China are very interested in importing Elios so the possibility for an American "car" company to export vehicles built here is truly amazing.

I see Elio, along with a few other companies, really helping to reshape the vehicle market. I don't think Elio is the car that everyone, or even most people, will want but the potential for this little startup compared to the big boys is real. When you add their ideas with the power of the Internet this is a product that will probably have more changes on the market than the actual vehicle itself.

cleverwise

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
To much reading.
I pass.

I admit I don't like reading long posts or articles either which is why I use Chrome Speak extension for Google Chrome. It is free and I use the heck out of it everyday. It is also great to have the browser read me stuff while I work on other items. Personally I use a modified version of Chrome called Comodo Dragon as that extension works on any Chrome based browser.

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
After a conversation with Goofyone I decided to list my reasons for some interest in the Elio project. You see I am really a truck guy at heart. My dream vehicle is a Nissan Titan Crew Cab with a diesel engine. I completely believe diesel technology is far superior to gasoline in almost every way. I am 100% sold on diesel engines.

Now before I get into the Elio let me explain why I find trucks (and to a degree suv/cuvs so appealing). For starters I really like pickups and have owned some (2003 Dodge Dakota and 2006 Nissan Frontier). I really enjoyed both vehicles. I like the way pickups look (some more than others), I find their beds extremely useful, and I like riding higher. (I personally can't stand sport cars as I feel like my butt is being dragged across the payment.) Also there is the added head room. Pickup trucks (suv's and cuv's too) offer more head room in general. My mother finally left sedans and agrees how she prefers the increased head room and feels less boxed in. I got to say see told you so!

Of course the main disadvantage of bigger trucks, especially full size pickups, is fuel economy. That is beginning to change thanks to diesel technology. In fact the RAM now gets 28 highway mpg which is impressive considering not that long ago 15 or so was the best. There is a race now among Ford, GM, Nissan, Toyota, and Chrysler to see who can develop the most fuel efficient full size truck. The target is 30+ highway and 22+ city which again is a huge jump over the 15ish highway and 12ish city that was common not that long ago. However the advancing engine technology for these vehicles is another thread and discussion in and of itself.

So that brings me to Elio.

Why in the world would someone who likes big heavy vehicles even give Elio a second look? Well for starters let me be honest. I have no current desire to own a Elio. None. So does that mean I think Elio is silly or stupid? No, not at all! I believe Elio can fill some niches. I also think Elio can help bring some changes to the automotive market in other ways. However Elio has some short comings too.

I am going to look at the short comings first. Elio is being touted as the next big thing in the transportation market that will change everyone's life. The same was said about the Segway. There is obviously some marketing hype in the statements I have reviewed from Elio Motors. However that is to be expected from the marketing team. I have no issue with Elio Motors trying to put the best light on their product. That is business 101 and a brings up a duh!

Still Elio falls short in several key areas. Of course for families you aren't going to load up four, five or six people. You aren't going to be towing the family boat to the lake. Nor are you going to be able to bring home a lot of goods from a bigger shopping venture. So the "car" if obviously going to fall short for many people. I think this is where Elio future owners need to becareful. I am not calling out anyone just saying if you are talking to a family with a Nissan Quest trying to push them into the greatness of Elio when the vehicle won't fit their needs it will only build resistance. So clearly Elio is far from the car that we will all be driving in the future.

I also noticed Elio is pushing the idea of fleets for businesses. There is some potential here for sure. A lot of businesses like painting companies, tree removal, window replacement, insurance companies, etc have estimators. The Elio would fit that niche extremely well. I recently needed some foundation work done on my home and every company estimator showed up in smaller vehicles instead of full size pickups. Of course work crews and people like plumbers, electricians, painters, etc will continue to need much bigger vehicles to hold all their tools, supplies, and transport bigger items from home improvement stores and suppliers. My point here is what I mentioned above.

Fuel economy is nice but it is far from the only reason a vehicle is purchased. So that goes back to Elio enthusiasts needing to be a little cautious about preaching their love to others. Of course that doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't talk about the vehicle but clearly this vehicle isn't going to replace vans, pickups, or suv/cuv's. Plus people often buy vehicles because they like the form factor or style and gas has little to do with the equation, although that is certainly high on many people's list these days.

If you have made it this far you might be thinking all I am doing is running down Elio and dumping negative energy into this forum. This is where you will probably start to smile. I believe, again being a truck fan, Elio has done many things well and it is for this reason I have some interest. I first must credit Goofyone's talking about this as when we speak on the phone or meet up in person as he has kept me very up-to-date.

So what IMO has Elio done that deserve's kudos?

Well for starters this isn't some silly electric car. Do electric cars have some potential? Sure. Are we there yet? No freakin' way. I laugh when Nissan Leaf owners brag about not spending money on gas and/or saving the environment. Oh really? So you get electricity free? Oh and that electricity is pollution free, eh? Seeing how most of the US still uses coal I say "yeah, yeah, yeah". Pure nonsense. If someone on here drives a Leaf oh well. I am not against anyone owning them. It is your money. I totally understand and am not against the idea of wanting to be removed from gas pump stops, but we still need technology to improve. I think the better idea for "electric" vehicles is using a gas generator and following the diesel electric train type idea. Anyway I digress; back to Elio.

I like how Elio has been designed to use standard off the shelf parts for most of the vehicle. This adds cost savings and basically you are subsidizing the car off the parts designed for other vehicles. So thank the owners of other cars for buying the high priced version and paying for the R&D. :)

My geekiness and engineer antennas start to twitch when discussing the in's and out's of the Elio design. I, like goofyone, was the kind of kid that took things apart to see how they work, and yes I didn't always get them back together. I enjoy science and technology and reading and learning how things works so it has been entertaining to hear about the way Elio has been designed. So my hat's off to the Elio design team.

I also like new and creative ideas. I like discussing businesses and find it very interesting when new line ideas pop up. I believe the gas payoff solution is extremely novel. Of course we will have to see how well it plays out but it has the potential to cause some changes in the market. Sure most vehicles won't use that method but, assuming it works, it will spur other vehicles to follow suit or at least start thinking of other ways than traditional payment methods. That is nothing short of a win for the consumer and for the businesses that come up with such ideas.

The idea of the retail center sounds very promising too. It could help alter the monopoly traditional car dealership. Those won't be going away but the idea Elio has, along with others, is starting to put cracks in the traditional buying experience. It will be very interesting to see how it all plays out.

I also have to say the idea of hooking up with PepBoys is another ingenious solution. I am sure Paul and co were sitting there going how do we service these "cars" all over the US without some huge dealer network. This is a win-win-win-lose. It is a win for Elio because they don't need to invest in service centers and adds to the selling point that Elio owners will have certified service centers near by (for most markets). It is a win for the customer because they will get official certified Elio support. It is a win for Pepboys as they will pick up business. It is a lose for traditional dealerships because it shows startup "car" companies can have access to instant ready-to-go service centers without the cost or build out. This is another win for the consumer.

The fact this product is being made here in the United States and will create American jobs is really awesome and another great feature of Elio. This is simply amazing especially in the current anti-business environment Washington is creating thanks to both parties. I believe this would change radically if the FairTax was passed but that is for another thread/topic. Anyway back to Elio that is very commendable. Plus I have heard other countries like China are very interested in importing Elios so the possibility for an American "car" company to export vehicles built here is truly amazing.

I see Elio, along with a few other companies, really helping to reshape the vehicle market. I don't think Elio is the car that everyone, or even most people, will want but the potential for this little startup compared to the big boys is real. When you add their ideas with the power of the Internet this is a product that will probably have more changes on the market than the actual vehicle itself.

I don't think anyone would push someone to get a small two seater as a stand olone car for a family of 3 or more. Paul has been quoted numerous times as saying the Elio is an "AND" car. Have your large vehicle (truck/SUV/sedan) AND an Elio for the times you drive alone (which is the majoity of the time for most people). THis is exacly what I am doing. I am keeping my SUV, but will use my Elio for commuting to work and any other time I am driving alone. Use my SUV for family time. The wife and I figured that gas plus Elio payment will be less than what I pay for gas alone currently. Good read, but a little shortsided on the market audience.

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
While I too am a truck fan, 08 Nissan Frontier, crew cab, long bed, and for all the reasons cleverwise stated, I also realize the importance of better fuel consumption. Our Elio will be the commuter car for 3-5 years, the run around town car and we're off to see the grand kids who live 40+ miles away. It will most likely not be our lets drive to New York City car or let's go camping, although it could very well be, with a luggage topper or little trailer.
I do not think Paul Elio believes his vehicle will be the replacement for many families but as said before, the AND vehicle.
Also, how many parents would feel better knowing their teenager is in a car with only one other person instead of 4 or 5 distracting the drivers attention. My kids first car held 6 people, way to many distractions for a young drive. Her second held 4, better but still room for improvement. Coming up "The Elio!" Now my child is an adult and can choose what ever she wishes to drive but had the Elio been around 22 years ago, that would have been Moms choice for her 1st vehicle.

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't believe Paul Elio expects his three wheeler will replace every other type of road vehicle, in fact he's described it as an "and" vehicle. However, there are an increasing number of people who have to commute longer distances and who do require an inexpensive personal transport with high mpg.

Fuel costs are a large factor in my family budget. I drive 45 miles each way to and from my workplace. I would prefer to commute by motorcycle and years ago I did so but it isn't practical, especially in poor weather. I would consider the Elio as a motorcycle alternative because when I commute it's only me plus my pilots case and sometimes an overnight bag.

To put this in perspective, in my part of the world, gasoline presently costs around £1.29 per litre, diesel is around £1.35. In USA, at today's prices (I just checked) you pay the equivalent of £0.54 per litre for gas and £0.61 per litre for diesel. So less than half.

If the USA doesn't want the Elio, there could be a willing market in UK and elsewhere in Europe. Especially as the goal of 84 mpg on a U.S. gallon equates to 96 mpg on an Imperial gallon of gas. It would halve my commuting fuel bill.

Top Bottom