• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Thoughts On A Cold Day

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In Ohio, Tesla got an exemption from the law, authorizing them to maintain three (and only three) sales locations (show-rooms) in the state -- and that same law change barred ANY other manufacturers from establishing manufacturer-owned outlets in the state after that date. So Elio cannot be directly sold by the manufacturer in Ohio. Yes, of course, it's an attempt to stifle a supposedly free-market economy.
Hopefully, the law targets direct auto sales not motorcycle sales.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Will gelled diesel liquify again if it warms up? I didn't know there were two grades of diesel -- just knew that in cold weather you were supposed to switch on a glow-plug to get the fuel warm enough to do its thing.

they have a summer and a winter blend, unsure of the chemical difference .... our Sportchassis (which is parked outside) has an intake heater, fires and runs good .... its winter blend that was put in right after Thanksgiving .... to crank the tractor I had to remove a side motor cover, direct a two burner propane heater (mounted on a 20 lb tank) at the engine and let it run for a couple of hours .... it heated the motor sufficiently to where the fuel liquified and would crank .... yesterday I poured in some fuel treatment designed to take care of the problem and ran the tractor for a while .... apparently it wasn't enough because this morning the problem was back .... repeated the heating process and this time drove the tractor to a station where I buy fuel, all I'll say about that is it was a dang cold drive ..:confused:.. filled the tank with (hopefully) winter diesel .... worked the tractor for a while leveling a 250 gallon propane tank so that the winter diesel will be thoroughly mixed in .... hopefully she'll fire in the morning

Keith Stone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Will gelled diesel liquify again if it warms up? I didn't know there were two grades of diesel -- just knew that in cold weather you were supposed to switch on a glow-plug to get the fuel warm enough to do its thing.
Yes it will certainly "ungel" when warmed up at that Point I would add anti-gel my favorite brand is diesel power service in a white bottle, if fuel is gelled add a red bottle of diesel power service 911 also pull your fuel filter and pour some in filter should start and run about 20 minutes after pouring in.

Keith Stone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
they have a summer and a winter blend, unsure of the chemical difference .... our Sportchassis (which is parked outside) has an intake heater, fires and runs good .... its winter blend that was put in right after Thanksgiving .... to crank the tractor I had to remove a side motor cover, direct a two burner propane heater (mounted on a 20 lb tank) at the engine and let it run for a couple of hours .... it heated the motor sufficiently to where the fuel liquified and would crank .... yesterday I poured in some fuel treatment designed to take care of the problem and ran the tractor for a while .... apparently it wasn't enough because this morning the problem was back .... repeated the heating process and this time drove the tractor to a station where I buy fuel, all I'll say about that is it was a dang cold drive ..:confused:.. filled the tank with (hopefully) winter diesel .... worked the tractor for a while leveling a 250 gallon propane tank so that the winter diesel will be thoroughly mixed in .... hopefully she'll fire in the morning
The main difference is that summer diesel has more lubricants and waxes added in, while winter diesel does not. Winter diesel is usually more clear colored vs summer diesel usually light green to dark green in most cases.

Keith Stone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
my wife is from South Dakota .... on my first trip out there I well remember being confused by seeing the electric plugs sticking out of the car/truck grills .... we don't see much of that in NC .... last week I had a first here at home .... went out to start our John Deere tractor and it wouldn't crank .... that is something that has never happened .... in the end it turned out that the recent blast of subfreezing temps caused the fuel in the tractor to gel .... the fuel was put in last fall and is summer, not winter diesel .... I've spent parts of the last two days getting it straightened out .... my trucks and cars are parked outside, my tractor is parked inside the garage ..:cool:
When storing fuel for long time a year or so I recommend stabil for diesels, as for gelling control most auto parts stores carry a product called diesel power service it works great I even add it to winter fuel for extra cold days. Diesel power service 911 for already gelled fuel also top off filters. I would also look for an engine block plug in or have one installed for cold days! Best of luck with tractor!

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yes it will certainly "ungel" when warmed up at that Point I would add anti-gel my favorite brand is diesel power service in a white bottle, if fuel is gelled add a red bottle of diesel power service 911 also pull your fuel filter and pour some in filter should start and run about 20 minutes after pouring in.

we add the power service in the silver bottle at every filling in both the Sportchassis and Tractor .... the 911 was what I added yesterday .... have never used it before

Keith Stone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
we add the power service in the silver bottle at every filling in both the Sportchassis and Tractor .... the 911 was what I added yesterday .... have never used it before
Yes, the silver bottle is an excellent fuel injector clener I don't believe it has any anti gel effects. As for the red and white bottles I have used them for years mainly the white but also the red with good luck! I run diesel personal vechicle(duramax), diesel work truck(power stroke) and diesel drilling rig(cummins) they all have over over 10000 hrs with no injector problems and run great half of these hours power service has been added, I have also watched tests on power service, and it's a top performer.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, the silver bottle is an excellent fuel injector clener I don't believe it has any anti gel effects. As for the red and white bottles I have used them for years mainly the white but also the red with good luck! I run diesel personal vechicle(duramax), diesel work truck(power stroke) and diesel drilling rig(cummins) they all have over over 10000 hrs with no injector problems and run great half of these hours power service has been added, I have also watched tests on power service, and it's a top performer.

our Sportchassis has a Mercedes MB900 motor and our John Deere tractor were build prior to the ultra low sulfur diesel days .... lets just say the Sportchassis isn't happy burning the new diesel and lets you know it by clattering louder than one of the old Cummins .... we run the silver to put back the lubrication that the change in formulation removed .... I can't tell any difference in the performance of the tractor but figure the extra lubrication can't hurt

Top Bottom