• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Thread(s) Of Elio As Long-distance Highway Machine

Dooltd

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio will replace my motorcycle and while I have had many memorable cross country trips on the bike I'm really looking forward to the relative comfort of my new Elio.
Many times while riding the bike in a cold rain I have looked over at someone driving along in the crappiest little sedan all warm and dry and wondered if he would like to trade vehicles!
Soon I'll be out on the open road and when I see dark storm clouds gathering ahead I'll just roll up my electric windows instead of stopping to put on the rain gear. :cool:

satx

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you keep up with the periodic maintenance, any engine will keep on chugging along for maybe 300k (w/modern engine designs). Start neglecting it (oil changes, filters, belts, etc...) and I'd doubt you make 100k. Mine should have close to 500k by the time I retire, and I'm going to do my best to keep the original engine in it....It'll be worth so much more at the Barrett/Jackson auction with matching numbers! :D

yeah, my camry has 240K and runs great.

but the Elio engine is brand new. I'm wary of the bleeding edge, even with amazing modern design aids, testing.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
yeah, my camry has 240K and runs great.

but the Elio engine is brand new. I'm wary of the bleeding edge, even with amazing modern design aids, testing.

It is a new engine but not really using anything bleeding edge within the engine with most parts being completely off the shelf. By modern standards it is actually a very simple engine design. Even the much talked about Flame Spary PTWA cylinder liner has been in use for years now in Ford Ecoboost V6 powered F-150 trucks and while some of those engines had issues I have only ever heard of issues in the cylinder heads due to things caused by issues with the direct injection and VVT systems and not from cylinder lining failure.

Last edited:

Kronos

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
It is a new engine but not really using anything bleeding edge within the engine with most parts being completely off the shelf. By modern standards it is actually a very simple engine design. Even the much talked about Flame Spary PTWA cylinder liner has been in use for years now in Ford Ecoboost V6 powered F-150 trucks and while some of those engines had issues I have only ever heard of issues in the cylinder heads due to things caused by issues with the direct injection and VVT systems and not from cylinder lining failure.

I remember seeing a rumor about the flame spray perhaps not being used? Or that the prototype engine was in fact using lined cylinders? I suppose no one knows yet which is going to be on the final engine? Any newer info on these questions?

Either way I'm sure the engineers will know what they're doing so I'm not worried about it much. Certainly the Elio's engine is mostly using older technology that is well established. However, it is still a new engine and I doubt it'll be "perfect" right off the bat. I think that's more the concern that satx was conveying.

With how simple the engine is I suspect it'll be easy to maintain and will last hundreds of thousands of miles relatively easily.

BADBOY

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I remember seeing a rumor about the flame spray perhaps not being used? Or that the prototype engine was in fact using lined cylinders? I suppose no one knows yet which is going to be on the final engine? Any newer info on these questions?

Either way I'm sure the engineers will know what they're doing so I'm not worried about it much. Certainly the Elio's engine is mostly using older technology that is well established. However, it is still a new engine and I doubt it'll be "perfect" right off the bat. I think that's more the concern that satx was conveying.

With how simple the engine is I suspect it'll be easy to maintain and will last hundreds of thousands of miles relatively easily.
Not arguing but if you use an engine with known technology behind it, even if a new concept it still meets basics and should not need much tweaking. It is not like trying to shave a cylinder wall thinner or something.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score

The latest I heard was that, as was seen in the engine photos, this first engine is indeed lined and not sprayed and does not have any variable valve lift or timing devices. The reason we were given for this was simply to test a baseline engine on which further testing would be compared against. I am sure EM will do whatever the IAV engineers determine is best and if that includes changing the plan as long as there is a good reason I am sure EM will go along with the IAV engineers recommendations.

I can definitely understand the concern as it is a new engine design but also feel it does help to understand that is a simple engine using proven technology so the chances of catastrophic design flaws are minimal. I would however agree that it likely will not be'perfect' at first but luckily if all goes well any issues will only minor thanks to the use of existing technology and parts.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
is there one? I can't find one

if not, what are the opinions of you Elio fans?

noise? vibration? cross-winds?

or Elio just a cute, cheap, useful machine for rolling around cities and suburbs?

Len
satx, great questions and welcome to the forum. There isn't a thread on the performance of the Elio since there is no vehicle for any of us to drive. Most of your questions do not have answers yet. Elio only has the prototype 4 (P4) which has an old nearly worn out Geo Metro engine. I am retired so my Elio will be my fun vehicle for running around town and for longer road trips along the mountainous roads and scenic places. There is plenty of information on the forum on nearly every topic you can imagine. I recommend you review those that most appeal to you first. Be careful because you will find the forum to become addictive. Enjoy the experience and the journey with us.

Top Bottom