• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Thread(s) Of Elio As Long-distance Highway Machine

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One aspect that occurred to me: if one goes on a long trip with 2 people, one won't have room for a bag that holds all your stuff normally. I'm looking forward to the challenge of getting all of 2 people's stuff for multiple days into one bag that will fit in the Elio trunk. Will have to implement the airline's 3 oz of liquid per bottle rule. lol May have to do laundry at the destination too.
Maybe one of the after market supplier will design a luggage rack that can be installed on the trunk.

RKing

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Little of both for me. I will use it as a daily comuter 55miles round trip and also for the really long runs when I am alone. Like Colorado Springs from Middle TN. I have spent many miles in MGB and on sport touring/standard bikes. I just don't need the luxo ride thing, rather have the efficiency and ear plugs if needed :) Been wearing those under my helmet for years !
I am looking to make more long distance runs with the Elio than now due to fuel costs. The Elio (Mustang) seat is very nice and the layout of the cabin in the P4 seems well done. I already pack light and do laundry on long trips so no biggy there. The low RPM of the engine at highway speed ,I suspect, will help with a quite ride as well as the outboard wheels and good aero (low wind noise). Compliant sidewall tires help a lot with "choppy " suspension. Suspension ,like Goofyone stated, is an area I might spend a little cash to improve. Being as I am quite happy with straight base 6800$ , I could spring for up upscale shocks :)

imageon

Elio Addict
Reaction score
is there one? I can't find one

if not, what are the opinions of you Elio fans?

noise? vibration? cross-winds?

or Elio just a cute, cheap, useful machine for rolling around cities and suburbs?

Len
As I understand it it is first and foremost a highway cruiser made for the open road.
Its streamlined design should make it hold stable and on direction at speed.
The front wheels, being mounted away from the body of the vehicle should reduce road noise from the front. Noise coming up from the back wheel will be determined by the design of the rear wheel support and dampening.
Some would call it cute I prefer streamlined.
It is probably not going to be cheaply built, but by purpose building every inch of the thing, it will be cheaply priced.
MK

satx

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My guess is the Elio (highway) ride will be quite bouncy, and subject to cross winds, simply because it's weight with passenger will be around 1500 pounds vs the avg car weight of 3500-4000.

Another factor in friskiness, acceleration/deceleration of the motor, lack of motor's smoothness, is the mass of the flywheel. I rented a tiny Toyota in Costa Rica, and noticed any gas pedal action caused a huge, and eventually very annoying, change in engine revs tiny flywheel offered almost no smoothing.

My guess is the Elio will be quite sporty, frisky, responsive, which would have been "fun" for me 40 or 50 years ago but now I'm looking for high mileage and long commutes with sufficient comfort

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think that many of us that grew up driving cars from the 60s have a lot lower expectations for the car's lifespan. Vehicles made in that general time period didn't have the life expectations that modern motor vehicles do. We can't wrap our minds around the much longer lifespan that can be expected. It's really pretty fun and a bit of a relief. I see no reason why the Elio won't share in that longevity, they are going to be around for a while. As for highway performance, it's been taken into account and built in. Comfort in these little cars may in large part be in the eye of the beholder. I just want something that will be functional and rideable for fairly long distances, if necessary. Others want the whole ball of wax- heated, electrically adjustable, leather, and whatever else can be done to car seats now a days.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think that many of us that grew up driving cars from the 60s have a lot lower expectations for the car's lifespan. Vehicles made in that general time period didn't have the life expectations that modern motor vehicles do.

agree .... when I was teenager if you had a car with 80,000 miles on the motor, neighbors would come by to take a look at it .... the body would be fine but the motor would be shot

Comfort in these little cars may in large part be in the eye of the beholder. I just want something that will be functional and rideable for fairly long distances, if necessary.

again, agree .... for me the ride is the key .... I don't need lightening bolt performance but my back simply can't take a rough ride for very long

Jim

Last edited:

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
One aspect that occurred to me: if one goes on a long trip with 2 people, one won't have room for a bag that holds all your stuff normally. I'm looking forward to the challenge of getting all of 2 people's stuff for multiple days into one bag that will fit in the Elio trunk. Will have to implement the airline's 3 oz of liquid per bottle rule. lol May have to do laundry at the destination too.
We've traveled light for years, I don't remember the last time we checked luggage. But with that being said, traveling with the Elio would cause us to really plan carefully and plan to do laundry along the way. But we do that anyway! Check out https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/packing-light/packing-smart , it will give you some idea of how to approach it. Of course, with 2 in the car, we will need to take it to the next level. It's doable, even for us it would be close but doable.

Top Bottom