• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Three Wheel Vehicle Problems In Texas

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think this is the significant difference between the Slingshot and the Elio:

The Texas Dept of Public Safety has pulled the plug on the Polaris Slingshot, saying it doesn't qualify as a motorcycle and doesn't have the necessary safety equipment to be considered a "car" so it can't be sold and titled in Texas to operate on the public highways.

The Elio will have the necessary safety equipment. Of course that does not guarantee its effectiveness as a single guy's source of birth control but. . . . . . . :D Z

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think this is the significant difference between the Slingshot and the Elio:

The Texas Dept of Public Safety has pulled the plug on the Polaris Slingshot, saying it doesn't qualify as a motorcycle and doesn't have the necessary safety equipment to be considered a "car" so it can't be sold and titled in Texas to operate on the public highways.

The Elio will have the necessary safety equipment. Of course that does not guarantee its effectiveness as a single guy's source of birth control but. . . . . . . :D Z
It could also create a problem if they go against the feds and want to licence it as a car. Not sure they can do that, but you never know.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It could also create a problem if they go against the feds and want to licence it as a car. Not sure they can do that, but you never know.
If their computer system will accept a motorcycle vin when they license it as a car, I don't think it matters. The vin is and will remain a mc vin until the feds change the law. However, states can license as they please, I believe. Considering when I lived in Austin in the mid to late 1960s they couldn't even handle my one letter name, I sure hope they have improved their system. My name had to be put in quotes like they use for nicknames even though it is and has always been my legal name. :-) Z

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You can't overlook that thes is being generated in TEXAS! I could mention a list of the Lone Star State that is out of touch with the other 49, but refrain as per web-masters!! (LOL)

when it comes to automotive related things, we find two things to be very different about they handle things in Texas ....
1 - they allow flashing blue lights on most every type of vehicle that has flashing lights
2 - their interstate exits aren't anywhere close to the intersection with the road you want to leave the interstate and get onto

Jim

Anion

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
"The issue is that the Texas Dept of Public Safety is stuck on the definition of a motorcycle as having a "saddle" instead of a car style seat, which the Slingshot has."

There must be some confusion by the reporter or taken out of context!
My Scoot Coup has been titled and registered for two years in Texas and it has two, side by side bucket seats with seat belts!

Makes me wonder again about the validity of some reports!

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"The issue is that the Texas Dept of Public Safety is stuck on the definition of a motorcycle as having a "saddle" instead of a car style seat, which the Slingshot has."

There must be some confusion by the reporter or taken out of context!
My Scoot Coup has been titled and registered for two years in Texas and it has two, side by side bucket seats with seat belts!

Makes me wonder again about the validity of some reports!

Interesting. The article also said that they DO currently accept the T-Rex....side-by-side, bucket seats & steering wheel. It will get straightened out.:)

Top Bottom