• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Title And Registration

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
All new vehicles must have an MSO--Manufacturer's Statement of Origin. You take that to the DMV and they give you a title. That's what I have been told.
EM will provide you with the MSO and it includes info about the vehicle: vin #, engine, make, model, vehicle wt. etc.
and is required when you register and license your vehicle. A SAMPLE if you haven't seen a typical MSO:
image.jpg

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
New vehicles don't have titles. Titling is a function of each states DMV. New vehicles are supplied an MSO which is a federal form stating the vehicle was manufactured to meet certain specifications by a federally licensed manufacturer. The manufacturers ID number is on the MSO to show the individual states the vehicle is recognized by the feds to be titleable by the DMV. Think of the MSO as a federal title that has to be converted to a state title (for tax purposes).

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
New vehicles don't have titles. Titling is a function of each states DMV. New vehicles are supplied an MSO which is a federal form stating the vehicle was manufactured to meet certain specifications by a federally licensed manufacturer. The manufacturers ID number is on the MSO to show the individual states the vehicle is recognized by the feds to be titleable by the DMV. Think of the MSO as a federal title that has to be converted to a state title (for tax purposes).
Thank skygazer6033. This is one of the reasons I love this site. I learn so many new things. In the past, when I bought from a dealer (shudder), I just accepted that what ever had to be done was being done. This part of it they usually got right, I guess, because I never had any trouble. One more bit of knowledge to tuck away for future reference. :-) Z

BTW is your production number 6033? If so, we are only 22 numbers apart and may be picking up our Elios around the same time. Of course you have a much shorter distance to drive yours home than I do. :-)

Top Bottom