• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Total Out The Door Price?

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Snipped: We DO NOT KNOW, so we should not speculate. This is almost as bad as those who keep talking about the AMT option costing $1,000. It may be that this option is for NO COST because the savings on the clutch pays for any extra cost of the AMT. Just saying....

Great point....An up-charge for the AMT follows the existing "Car" paradigm
& runs counter to Paul's over all cost/price model. I'm sure he would prefer to
have both trans. included in the $6800 base price but there are other voices
involved in these decisions.............

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Unless anyone can link us to something said by Elio that indicates a 20% interest rate I suggest that we no longer speak bad about the Credit Card option. It may be that Elio will be able to find a financial institution that will offer the card at 1.99% interest. Or it could be 5.99% interest.

We DO NOT KNOW, so we should not speculate. This is almost as bad as those who keep talking about the AMT option costing $1,000. It may be that this option is for NO COST because the savings on the clutch pays for any extra cost of the AMT. Just saying....
Good point! I speculate Elio will make continued effort take good care of us! Never thought otherwise.
As far as the $1000 AMT option............someone posted that as a comment from the Elio site directly.......under $1K. I speculate that AMT will not be available at NO COST as you speculate, but rather under $1K. Time will tell regarding the actual cost of the Elio and the options.

ncarter124

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Unless anyone can link us to something said by Elio that indicates a 20% interest rate I suggest that we no longer speak bad about the Credit Card option. It may be that Elio will be able to find a financial institution that will offer the card at 1.99% interest. Or it could be 5.99% interest.

We DO NOT KNOW, so we should not speculate.

I personally wasn't saying either way, just that it depends on how the program is set up. I agree that Paul's overall goal is to help people and keep the price/affordability down, so the lower APR the better makes sense to me. I am paying cash so I don't care either way.

LockMD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is almost as bad as those who keep talking about the AMT option costing $1,000. It may be that this option is for NO COST because the savings on the clutch pays for any extra cost of the AMT. Just saying....

At the look see event I went to in Corte Madera not long ago I was asking about upgrades/add ons like open wheels etc.... Everything I mentioned I was just told that would be an additional cost with no dollar amount mentioned but when I brought up automatic they said "that will be about 1,000 upgrade"

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
We DO NOT KNOW, so we should not speculate. This is almost as bad as those who keep talking about the AMT option costing $1,000. It may be that this option is for NO COST because the savings on the clutch pays for any extra cost of the AMT. Just saying....

It is true that EM has never officially stated a price target for the AMT however if you email or speak to an Elio representative they have routinely said that the price goal is under $1K. While it is possible the AMT could be a no cost option this is not very probable as it should be obvious to most people that the clutch pedal and the clutch cable and/or hydraulics are much less expensive than the actuators and control unit needed needed to operate the clutch and gear changes along with the programming and testing costs needed to integrate the automatic into this vehicle.

Elio Motors has routinely publicly stated that the manual is the standard transmission and the automatic is expected to be an extra cost option with the price TBD.
Can I get an automatic transmission, and if so how much?

• Yes, automatic will be an optional transmission available to you when you buy your Elio. The price is not finalized and will be available in advance of us making the first Elio next year (along with the prices for other options). As most people know, historically automatic transmissions have been expensive. We are very aware that keeping this cost low is important for our customers and are very close to an agreement that be in line with the Elio value proposition Stay tuned!

http://eliomotors.wordpress.com/2014/05/30/top-questions-answered-5-30-14/

Last edited:

ctfink

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I'm keeping my ears open. During my career as a tech-guy I was allowed to keep a small window open on my p/c to monitor the stock market as I was also a small 'day-trader'. This was during the 90's when Cisco was running sky-high and Qualcomm was paying off. I would hope to get an opportunity to grasp some of Elio's earnings in the market place. The one thing I did learn was 'never wager what you are not willing to lose'. We shall see !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D Borland

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Hi JJ, if you think back to when you've purchased a car from a dealer, new or old, the final number is always a LOT more than the advertised price. Buying the Elio will be no different.

I've read a delivery fee of around $750. I calculated costs of me renting an economy car, driving to Shreveport, staying probably 2 nights in hotel, food, gas, and then driving the Elio back... from where I am, it'll be less expensive to get the car delivered.

For the base price (what we've called in other threads on the forum, the Paul Elio Price, or PEP) of $6800, EM has been forthcoming and said that they are at $7100 now, doing their best to whittle away and get the price down $300 more.

To answer your final question, I agree with Craig: I don't have any concerns about surprise charges. Options you get on your Elio will drive up the price, there is title, license, tax, etc. We do have lots of time, so you can gather the tax rate, the title fee, the registration costs, and get your own estimate to satisfy your curiosity.

But no I don't anticipate $299 to paint on a pin stripe, extra strange fees just to drive up the price. etc. EM has said that the buying experience should be direct and brief by today's standards. "You want a blue manual transmission, with cruise control and leather seats. Great. We're done!"
Ago auto manufacturers have to negotiate a delivery charge based on FOB and transportation charges are applied accordingly where you pick it up will make little difference in delivery charges. Picking it up at the factory probably won't make a difference in the price. If FOB is Detroit, you pay a free based on the distance to your location. I picked up a car at the factory (at the marat dealer) still had to pay based on FOB distance from detroit.

D Borland

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Hi JJ, if you think back to when you've purchased a car from a dealer, new or old, the final number is always a LOT more than the advertised price. Buying the Elio will be no different.

I've read a delivery fee of around $750. I calculated costs of me renting an economy car, driving to Shreveport, staying probably 2 nights in hotel, food, gas, and then driving the Elio back... from where I am, it'll be less expensive to get the car delivered.

For the base price (what we've called in other threads on the forum, the Paul Elio Price, or PEP) of $6800, EM has been forthcoming and said that they are at $7100 now, doing their best to whittle away and get the price down $300 more.

To answer your final question, I agree with Craig: I don't have any concerns about surprise charges. Options you get on your Elio will drive up the price, there is title, license, tax, etc. We do have lots of time, so you can gather the tax rate, the title fee, the registration costs, and get your own estimate to satisfy your curiosity.

But no I don't anticipate $299 to paint on a pin stripe, extra strange fees just to drive up the price. etc. EM has said that the buying experience should be direct and brief by today's standards. "You want a blue manual transmission, with cruise control and leather seats. Great. We're done!"
Ago auto manufacturers have to negotiate a delivery charge based on FOB and transportation charges are applied accordingly where you pick it up will make little difference in delivery charges. Picking it up at the factory probably won't make a difference in the price. If FOB is Detroit, you pay a free based on the distance to your location. I picked up a car at the factory (at the marat dealer) still had to pay based on FOB distance from detroit.
Like I've said before I have my $1,000 down on faith.

ClubJoe
Sunny Brandon, FL

juando290

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Speaking of the automatics, another example of anecdotal evidence that we don't know what to expect is to take a look at Honda. They have gone against the norm on their new accord and the automatic msrp is the same as the manual, (oddly, the auto gets better gas mileage than the manual) hopefully Elio will be somewhat like that.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Speaking of the automatics, another example of anecdotal evidence that we don't know what to expect is to take a look at Honda. They have gone against the norm on their new accord and the automatic msrp is the same as the manual, (oddly, the auto gets better gas mileage than the manual) hopefully Elio will be somewhat like that.
No MSRP for Elio. We call the pricing PEP. Paul Elio Pricing. I have to get ready to go swim so you will have to search for that to find out what it means. Be thankful I don't have time to tell you what I really think about MSRP. :p :D :rolleyes: :) Z

Top Bottom