• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Tough Sell?

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
To an extent, this is what we know happens in social media, it tends to bring together like minded people. This is contrary to early hopes and assumptions that the internet would bring different people together, and to an extent it does, but the effect we see happening is it allows people with similar beliefs and ideas from around the world to find each other and connect, sometimes in genuinely meaningful ways. Though not always. That's from a research perspective.

The other way of looking at your concern is that many, if not most of us here, are early (very early) adopters and the reality is most people are just plain risk adverse. I think both auto shows and national TV commercials will help create awareness of the brand, I am dubious it will translate into huge upswings in reservations. I think we'll continue to see new reservations, but I also think it will remain a gentle curve. What I think likely would translate into robust upswings in sales, is for a would be Elio owner, to actually see an Elio with their states tag on it - and talking with an actual owner aka one of us. I think if EM can get to production they'll sell a shit-ton of these things, if they can't get to production, well the point is moot anyway. I still think the coming months will be very intense to have a front row seat to it all is, for me, priceless. :couch2:
Your post is extremely good. Yes, people behave in social media the same they behave in everyday life: birds of a feather, flock together.

Your second paragraph is also good. Goofyone commented that most reservationist are motorcycle riders who are accustomed to taking risks. As you say, most people are risk adverse. Maybe that is who EM is advertising on sports channels.

Perhaps during that small period of time when Elios are only in the hands of we reservationists, before they become popular with everyone, we Elio owners will be a small community of bike riders and like minded people.

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Cool armchair smilie! Social media does bring together LIKE minded people that share interests but with DIFFERENT views, opinions, and perceptions:
A happy Elio Owner's Forum is one in which each member grants the possibility that others may be right, though none believes it.

What if EM is again testing the waters with a TV commercial advertising blitz expecting an upswing in reservations and there is no upswing and reservations continue to hover in the 50,000 range?
There's less evidence that social media brings people with divergent interests and ideas together, though I'm willing to debate that. :D

I think the national add campaign has less to do with increasing reservations, though hopefully that's part of it, I think it has more to do with EM needing to start looking and behaving like a company that's national in size if they want to be "players" in the way the company sees itself. :cool:

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Your post is extremely good. Yes, people behave in social media the same they behave in everyday life: birds of a feather, flock together.

Your second paragraph is also good. Goofyone commented that most reservationist are motorcycle riders who are accustomed to taking risks. As you say, most people are risk adverse. Maybe that is who EM is advertising on sports channels.

Perhaps during that small period of time when Elios are only in the hands of we reservationists, before they become popular with everyone, we Elio owners will be a small community of bike riders and like minded people.
With due respect, Im not sure how outside a few forums, G1 could have made the statement.
I think here the prodominent conversationalists are an older crowd, replacing their M.C's.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There's less evidence that social media brings people with divergent interests and ideas together, though I'm willing to debate that. :D

I think the national add campaign has less to do with increasing reservations, though hopefully that's part of it, I think it has more to do with EM needing to start looking and behaving like a company that's national in size if they want to be "players" in the way the company sees itself. :cool:
It could be a fun debate. I like your logic, but in order for EM to start looking like a company, let alone national in size and scale, they have to actually start up. Right now they are playing, not players. Like you, I hope whatever their STARTEGY (new startup business term) is that it results in a production start.

We have our armchairs (mine is a recliner) positioned, popcorn popping, and watching with interest the same game hoping for a touchdown in a very tense game as the clock counts down.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With due respect, Im not sure how outside a few forums, G1 could have made the statement.
I think here the prodominent conversationalists are an older crowd, replacing their M.C's.
I am an older motorcyclist replacing my motorcycle.
I have read Goofyone making that statement on this forum. I am not active in any other forums, so I don't know if he has made that statement elsewhere.

Road Warrier

Reaction score
The price would be great IF we could buy one!!!
Getting fed up @ the delays and mt bs excuses !!
C'mom people ---'light a fire and make something happen!!!!!!
Road Warrier

bunchathrees

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Fully agree. When I was on the SMART board, everyone was convinced you would have to wait years to buy one. Nearly everyone would be driving one eventually. Well, they do exist, but I only see one once in a great while.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/smart-fortwo-sales-figures.html

My problem with the SMART has always been gas mileage. I have no need for an inner-city parking warrior and other platforms offered similar (and better) mileage. I am clearly not in the SMART-car demographic, so its lackluster market performance isn't surprising to me since it confirmed my existing bias.

Top Bottom