• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Tough Sell?

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You don't think the Elio is insured? I don't know what level of insurance is needed to drive it around people.

I thought the in short statement was the summarized second statement, but could be mistaken. I think we agree on considerably more when it comes to the Elio.......for example wanting EM to finally meet a production goal so we are able to buy and drive one.

Once again, you "mis-quote". Not "uninsured" . But, like myself, "insured (enough to cover my antique) but, not enough to let my teenage son drive it. ;)

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Something else to keep in mind: according to the SEC filing, the advertised "84 MPG" is based on the formula used by the EPA. The DOE uses a different formula altogether. Based on the DOE's more simplified calculation method, the Elio should get around 95 MPG. If EM's estimates are even close to realistic, then the ATVM loan is in the bag once the Engineering cars can prove it on the track.

Well said!

JCar

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
It's too bad so many shortsighted Americans follow the "price of gas" as if it's purely an abstract resource in some spreadsheet, independent of physical geology. When the price falls, they see oil as more "plentiful" in terms of total future supply because they don't accept that a finite resource is finite at any price. They're more likely to treat oil prices as a corporate conspiracy than pay attention to physical limits. Such is the mentality of most people I meet, at least. I don't think many understand what "peak oil" means (bell curve depletion) or that global conventional crude oil production flat-lined about 10 years ago, triggering the recession in large part. Now, OPEC has gone on a drilling binge and seems bent on defying geology. To me it looks like a precarious situation creating a risky mirage of plenitude. It's not smart to make ignorant people think oil is pragmatically limitless. Short attention spans are rampant.

The reason for low oil prices is not due to "more oil" in the world. There are over 90 million fewer barrels in the ground each day, burned forever. It's because OPEC flooded the market to hurt America's (temporary) fracking boom, and global demand slackened due to economic factors but it's still substantial. The folly of burning oil solely based on price will be remembered as a huge blunder down the road. We need oil for too many things to squander it like dirty water.

http://www.peakprosperity.com/podca...ays-shale-era-retirement-party-oil-production (oil shale hype put in context)

https://ourfiniteworld.com/tag/low-oil-prices/ (oil price theories not often discussed)

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Some years back (in the '00s) a group of Russian scientists proposed a theory that oil wasn't merely the remains of ancient plant and animal life ("fossil fuels") but was actually a naturally-occurring geologic process. Bonkers, I know, but wouldn't it be fascinating if oil was, in fact, functionally renewable? Or if not renewable, then growing at a rate that outstrips the current underground reserve estimates.

I'm not advocating "burn it like there's no tomorrow". I'm just pushing the conversation along :) There is still so much oil in the ground, that natural leaks can be found all over the ocean floor. (No humans involved, just oil bubbling up out of the sea floor like people once found it bubbling up in the midwest).

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's too bad so many shortsighted Americans follow the "price of gas" as if it's purely an abstract resource in some spreadsheet, independent of physical geology. When the price falls, they see oil as more "plentiful" in terms of total future supply because they don't accept that a finite resource is finite at any price. They're more likely to treat oil prices as a corporate conspiracy than pay attention to physical limits. Such is the mentality of most people I meet, at least. I don't think many understand what "peak oil" means (bell curve depletion) or that global conventional crude oil production flat-lined about 10 years ago, triggering the recession in large part. Now, OPEC has gone on a drilling binge and seems bent on defying geology. To me it looks like a precarious situation creating a risky mirage of plenitude. It's not smart to make ignorant people think oil is pragmatically limitless. Short attention spans are rampant.

The reason for low oil prices is not due to "more oil" in the world. There are over 90 million fewer barrels in the ground each day, burned forever. It's because OPEC flooded the market to hurt America's (temporary) fracking boom, and global demand slackened due to economic factors but it's still substantial. The folly of burning oil solely based on price will be remembered as a huge blunder down the road. We need oil for too many things to squander it like dirty water.

http://www.peakprosperity.com/podca...ays-shale-era-retirement-party-oil-production (oil shale hype put in context)

https://ourfiniteworld.com/tag/low-oil-prices/ (oil price theories not often discussed)
I couldn't have expressed this any better. I repectfully agree.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Well said!
Here is another one to watch:

Top Bottom