• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Towing The Elio / Towing With The Elio

Double D in Ohio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This trailer is precisely what I have. I need a cargo carrier and some diamond plate aluminum, as I have somewhat of a creative mind.
Well , when you build it take some photos and post them please.....I'm sure a lot of us are do it yourself types....seeing a finished product helps fuel the imagination. Double D

silverfox

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Naked

Attachments

• Elio_Prototype mule.jpg
    Elio_Prototype mule.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 305

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
With only towing less than 500lbs, do you still have to weld on the hitch, or can you bolt one on?

I would say it depends on the mounting points. My full size van has a bolted on hitch rated for up to 5,000 lbs with only four bolts but of course it is bolted onto some big beefy frame rails.

ecdriver711

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When I was working thru collage so many years ago, one of my jobs was installing trailer hitches. We bolted them to the cars frame. The hitches were not the receiver type. They had a chrome plated finish and a hole to attach the ball size or your choice.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sorry, I assumed everyone else would assume I was talking about the Elio.
Most everyone has seen the picture of the frame structure.
What do you think?

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, I assumed everyone else would assume I was talking about the Elio.
Most everyone has seen the picture of the frame structure.
What do you think?

I guess I could have been clearer also. I am not a mechanical engineer however I would think the fully boxed frame rails they have used would be able to easily accept some holes for a bolt on receiver capable of towing 500 lbs.

Top Bottom