• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Towing The Elio / Towing With The Elio

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I guess I could have been clearer also. I am not a mechanical engineer however I would think the fully boxed frame rails they have used would be able to easily accept some holes for a bolt on receiver capable of towing 500 lbs.

Thank's

I planed on making my own and did not want to weld, but thought I should ask first.

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just went back through this entire thread and nowhere does anyone mention welding a hitch on. Every aftermarket trailer hitch I have ever seen was a bolt on.
Pretty sure the OEM ones are bolted on as well.. I have a 97 F150 with a class III factory tow package and pretty sure it is bolted on.. Makes sense if you ever wanted to replace it..

Ray

Brainmatter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Pretty sure the OEM ones are bolted on as well.. I have a 97 F150 with a class III factory tow package and pretty sure it is bolted on.. Makes sense if you ever wanted to replace it..

Ray
That is correct.
I did a lot of bolt/nut plate replacements for a recall back in the day...

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So, how many of these OEM bolt on’s attach to a curved piece of what appears to be 3” square tubing, and where can we find them?
Have you contacted Elio support and asked them about towing? They would also determine how much you could tow as well..

Ray

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Have you contacted Elio support and asked them about towing? They would also determine how much you could tow as well..

Ray

Someone on the site figured somewhere around 500 to 750. I think when it comes down to it EM will not stick out there neck on this option. Did Honda and other's reccomend a towing limit or provide this as an option?

RogWild said:
Elio Motors has stated, that the Standard vehicle will come with trailer receiver 'mounting points' and wiring harness. The actual trailer hitch, and any trailers, will be supplied by After Market manufacturers. Should be 'no problem' for small, motorcycle style trailers.

Guess we will have to see the mounting points to figure out what to buy or how to make one.

Last edited:

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Someone on the site figured somewhere around 500 to 750. I think when it comes down to it EM will not stick out there neck on this option. Did Honda and other's reccomend a towing limit or provide this as an option?

RogWild said:
Elio Motors has stated, that the Standard vehicle will come with trailer receiver 'mounting points' and wiring harness. The actual trailer hitch, and any trailers, will be supplied by After Market manufacturers. Should be 'no problem' for small, motorcycle style trailers.

Guess we will have to see the mounting points to figure out what to buy or how to make one.
I'm sure you can build one for low cost Craig.. Roof racks are something I would like as an option so a Thule could be added for extra storage and easily removed when not needed..

Ray

Top Bottom