• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Towing The Elio / Towing With The Elio

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would bet on not a receiver hitch per se... I mean not a 2" or even a 1 1/2 square tube type of hitch...There's a slotted version for light weight trailers that should be easy and very cheap to add on. well, assuming there is framing back that far already.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I would bet on not a receiver hitch per se... I mean not a 2" or even a 1 1/2 square tube type of hitch...There's a slotted version for light weight trailers that should be easy and very cheap to add on. well, assuming there is framing back that far already.

There is a nice rear frame rail that should be just low enough to work well as a hitch attachment point. The biggest issue I see with installing a towing hitch is that in order to make it bolt on it will likely require changing the rear panel where the license plate mounts to a panel which allows the hitch to pass through.

14-dsc08061.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was just wondering what issues might exist trying to tow a trailer with a short wheel base 1200 pound car. Those of you that tow trailers with your bikes might have some insight but drawing from the towing best practices I learned there are all kinds of factors that kick in.
  • Trailer weight needs to be consistent with what the tow vehicle is rated to tow. Too much weight will result in unnecessary wear, potential for broken suspension or frame, and result in an inability to drive safely with regard to starting, stopping, and maneuvering.
  • A trailer over a certain weight is required to have brakes, presumably to keep the trailer from pushing the tow vehicle when stopping.
  • The load in the trailer has to be distributed such that there is a certain amount of tongue weight. Too much or too little weight shifted one way of the other will cause significant issues.
  • Weight and length of the trailer in comparison to the tow vehicle is very important. A tow vehicle that is too short or too light will be dangerous to drive and will be tossed around by the trailer itself. Every year I see incidents of people killing themselves and others because they take their small suv and try to tow something that it really shouldn't; I'd hate to see that happen to any of the elio family.
I think the 3 wheel design of the elio will pose some other interesting concerns. Like any towing experience, too much weight on the tongue will result in a light front end. I don't think the elio would be any worse than a 4 wheel vehicle in this respect. However, putting too little weight on the tongue would likely reduce the traction of the back wheel. You do still have the 2 wheels on the trailer to hopefully keep the rig straight but I suspect that especially without trailer brakes that the elio would be more prone to seeing the trailer pass the elio when stopping.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was just wondering what issues might exist trying to tow a trailer with a short wheel base 1200 pound car. Those of you that tow trailers with your bikes might have some insight but drawing from the towing best practices I learned there are all kinds of factors that kick in.
  • Trailer weight needs to be consistent with what the tow vehicle is rated to tow. Too much weight will result in unnecessary wear, potential for broken suspension or frame, and result in an inability to drive safely with regard to starting, stopping, and maneuvering.
  • A trailer over a certain weight is required to have brakes, presumably to keep the trailer from pushing the tow vehicle when stopping.
  • The load in the trailer has to be distributed such that there is a certain amount of tongue weight. Too much or too little weight shifted one way of the other will cause significant issues.
  • Weight and length of the trailer in comparison to the tow vehicle is very important. A tow vehicle that is too short or too light will be dangerous to drive and will be tossed around by the trailer itself. Every year I see incidents of people killing themselves and others because they take their small suv and try to tow something that it really shouldn't; I'd hate to see that happen to any of the elio family.
I think the 3 wheel design of the elio will pose some other interesting concerns. Like any towing experience, too much weight on the tongue will result in a light front end. I don't think the elio would be any worse than a 4 wheel vehicle in this respect. However, putting too little weight on the tongue would likely reduce the traction of the back wheel. You do still have the 2 wheels on the trailer to hopefully keep the rig straight but I suspect that especially without trailer brakes that the elio would be more prone to seeing the trailer pass the elio when stopping.
That is why I researched motorcycle camp trailers and settled for the lightest weight one. I felt there was less risk with it and I need a place to sleep when I travel. Of course I will know more and be able to provide the trailer manufacturer with more information when the Elio is in its final phase of pre-production. Right now the trailer manufacturer feels the trailer I have chosen is a good fit.

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The rule with tongue weight is 10-12% of total weight of whatever you're towing or you will experience bad sway which I would imagine would be scary with only 1 rear wheel! I would be very careful towing anything with this car.. Personally I hate towing anything.. Sold my popup a last summer and don't miss towing at all.. This was heavy as popups go weighing over 3,000 lbs plus a fully loaded long bed F150.. Now I just rent a trailer and have it towed to my campsite.. Drive in open the door on the car and crack open a beer :) Instant camping vacation! Expensive but love the non-hassle of it!

Ray

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Raybonz, I share your concern about having to haul a trailer but I still do. However I am very careful about loading, use a weight distribution system even though the trailer weight doesn't call for it, specifically tow a trailer well below the max rating, and of course have an electric brake and dual axles for safety. Even with these precautions it is amazing how many white knuckle experiences I have because of wind, road conditions, and of course stupid people that either can't see a 50' long vehicle sticking way up in the air or don't understand that 10,000 pounds can't stop when they pull in front of me and hit their brakes.

OK, Elio and a trailer won't be 10,000 pounds but there are similarities to consider. The elio will be lower to the ground and twice the length with a trailer but I guarantee there will be people that will not see the elio and will do stupid things next to you or in front of you. Wind and road conditions will also likely impact the elio when towing but the jury is out as to what that might be. Capacity is yet to be determined but certainly towing a trailer that is at the maximum weight capacity of the elio will not be good; especially if the trailer doesn't have its own brakes. The next general rule of thumb is that you want to target your trailer weight to be no more than 80% of the tow vehicles towing capacity. We don't know the elios towing capacity yet but please keep this in mind once we do. And that weight is for the loaded trailer, not an empty one.

I looked back at the posts and apparently some of these concerns were brought up originally but let me recap and again express my concern about going forward cautiously with your plans for towing a trailer.
  • Goofyone provided a rule of thumb that the trailer should be no more than 1/3 the weight of the tow vehicle or 400 pounds. I also found this number while doing other searches.
  • The first cargo trailer that showed up was in at 140 pounds leaving in theory 260 pounds that you might be able load into the trailer before weight becomes an issue (again, assuming the elio posts that towing capacity is 400*1.2% or just under 500 pounds - ding ding magic number that shows up again below)
  • The micro mate weighs in at 265 pounds leaving 135 pounds for anything you might store in it.
So it seems possible that you can have a trailer and perhaps a bit of luggage before hitting the 1/3 weight of the tow vehicle. However, another thing to keep in mind is the carrying capacity of the elio. The tongue weight will subtract from the cargo capacity of the elio. If you are bringing extra gear that goes in the elio you need to account for that weight as well as the passengers. Overloading the elio could be as bad as any issues you may encounter with a trailer.

Mike171 chimed in that he tows trailers with his gold wing and likes a tab like trailer that in all versions exceeds the 400 pounds. I have to believe that a goldwing isn't significantly heavier than the elio so perhaps some feedback from him might be useful. I looked around at some goldwing forums and the general consensus I saw was 500 pound was the absolute most that they thought would be safe to tow with.

As for other motorcycle riders that have towed, what information did you get before buying your trailer to ensure that you would be safe and towing within the capacity of the machine? Did you get training before hooking it up?

When I bought my RV I was incredibly surprised that I could walk in, pay my $'s, hook up, and drive away with very little instruction. If it is ever possible, please search out training before trying to two anything whether it be with a big truck, a motorcycle, or the elio. Way too many people are killing themselves and others because they simply don't understand or can't comprehend what the trailer does to their tow vehicle.

Top Bottom