• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Toyota I-tril

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There it is, the Toyota i-TRIL. But you'll have to wait for at least a decade.
http://www.carscoops.com/2017/03/toyotas-i-tril-concept-leans-into.html

2017_Toyota_Concept_i-Tril_Static_09%2Bcopy.jpg
I've been waiting a decade for the no new technology off the shelf Elio. I ass.u.me the i-TRIL will be autonomous. I'll be to old to drive.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The 4 wheeled i-TRIL will be classified as a car in the USA. Safety requirements and crash testing required.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A new Toyota urban commuter concept, the i-TRIL to be unveiled at the Geneva Motor Show that apparently will seat 3 and have the same active lean technology as the Toyota i-Road. It has my curious attention as an around town commuter vehicle.

A Teaser photo:
View attachment 21333
They had me until they said top speed of 30 MPH.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The 4 wheeled i-TRIL will be classified as a car in the USA. Safety requirements and crash testing required.

And the 5mph bumpers. And the rear view mirrors. And the seat belts.

They had me until they said top speed of 30 MPH.

Actually, if it is true about the 30mph top speed, then this would count as a Low Speed Vehicle (LSV). LSVs don't need crash tests, 5mph bumpers, or much of anything else. They don't even need DOT approved tires! And if it's an EV it doesn't need emissions testing either, so something like this would be even less regulated than a motorcycle.

In most jurisdictions, LSVs must be governed to a 25mph top speed; some places have rules for Medium Speed Vehicles that allow them to reach higher speeds. Here in Washington state, for instance, MSVs must have a windshield and an enclosed cabin, and may go up to 35mph (also, all Washington-registered LSVs and MSVs must be electric.)

Top Bottom