• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Two More Cents

GreatDanes

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I have a similar issue when transporting my three-wheel bikes. Standard bike racks don;t work and, if not for my pickup truck, I'd have to improvise a rooftop (Thule or <insert brand here>) carrier or buy the adapter kit for the hitch-mount racks. If a standard car carrier is used, it will have to be adapted with a center wheel tray.

I would not want MY new Elio transported thousands of miles with the obvious twisting-torquing forces of the rear wheel set diagonally in a tray. Of course, I plan on driving it home from Shreveport, LA to Portland, OR!

Eliometer

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be great if picking up your Elio in Shreveport included a factory tour? I think that would be a nice way to reward early adopters. It would make my road trip back to Mass. that much more memorable. Also, another way for all of the First Owners to tout the car and the details of its manufacture to interested people around us at home.
As a resident of central Mass., which used to be a powerhouse of manufacturing (a sad shell of low-pay service industry jobs now), I would just love to get a chance to see and maybe talk to an Elio factory employee.

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since we are simply assuming the Elio plan at this point I would say in my opinion only that they already have most of the pieces for this delivery problem in place. (All opinion from here--->) They have already made it very well known that Pep Boys has agreed to be a partner and their market reaches Most of the Elio buyer areas or close. To me there is only one option (the seat) which would be a difficult add on or edit. If that was done at the factory Every other option could be done (sold/installed) at the respective Pep Boys facilities nationwide. They already have the warehouse parts areas, the service bays, service teams, sales team and capability. Custom fenders, sunroof, cruise, cup holder, hitch, etc, etc could be stocked as a shelf item and sold onsite at each store. They get the added partnership benefit of Upselling more cool doodads to each buyer via sales, service, etc. To me this makes the most sense since I find it hard to believe that Pep Boys would sign on as a supporting vendor to do oil changes and minimal profit warranty work. If they were guaranteed the aftermarket sales/service distribution the monitary plan would make more sense for both parties. The only item in question would be any seat type upgrade. This would make more sense from the factory since the aftermarket suppliers would be focused on Adding items, not subtracting them. As for the factory pickup, I too hope its free but understand that is not the industry norm. It cost me an Additional $1000 to pick up my Corvette at the factory. While it won't be transported, employees to Entertain you and guide you happily cost money. I'm happy any way.

I'm sorry, I don't follow. What's so special about installing a seat? It typically takes 10 minutes for a DIY'er. And they stack for shipping. An LTL load could probably hold 4 pallets of about 100 seats.

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since we are simply assuming the Elio plan at this point I would say in my opinion only that they already have most of the pieces for this delivery problem in place. (All opinion from here--->) They have already made it very well known that Pep Boys has agreed to be a partner and their market reaches Most of the Elio buyer areas or close. To me there is only one option (the seat) which would be a difficult add on or edit. If that was done at the factory Every other option could be done (sold/installed) at the respective Pep Boys facilities nationwide. They already have the warehouse parts areas, the service bays, service teams, sales team and capability. Custom fenders, sunroof, cruise, cup holder, hitch, etc, etc could be stocked as a shelf item and sold onsite at each store. They get the added partnership benefit of Upselling more cool doodads to each buyer via sales, service, etc. To me this makes the most sense since I find it hard to believe that Pep Boys would sign on as a supporting vendor to do oil changes and minimal profit warranty work. If they were guaranteed the aftermarket sales/service distribution the monitary plan would make more sense for both parties. The only item in question would be any seat type upgrade. This would make more sense from the factory since the aftermarket suppliers would be focused on Adding items, not subtracting them. As for the factory pickup, I too hope its free but understand that is not the industry norm. It cost me an Additional $1000 to pick up my Corvette at the factory. While it won't be transported, employees to Entertain you and guide you happily cost money. I'm happy any way.
Blackbird,
I can except a comparison of 'Apples to Apples or Oranges', but when you compare a 60,000$ plus a Thousand dollar charge to pick your 'Vette up at the factory, to a 6800$ Elio, is like comparing an 'Apple to a Diamond'.

I am proud that you can do that, but most of us here are Penny Pincher, whether by choice or necessity.

It seems as many here have not fairer as well as you have , coming up/down the road of life.

Your Pep Boys idea of storing parts for our Elio I'll address in another post.

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would be happy if they had an after market store on line, so you could view and have your favorite accessories delivered to your home with "do it yourself " installation instructions. If the folks building the wiring harness do their job correctly, nothing should be that difficult for the average person to install. You could pay with PayPal or a credit card, or add it to your Elio credit card. Those that are unable to install themselves, could bring the item to Pep Boys and have them install it for a predetermined installation fee, or hourly labor rate. Just my opinion. From what I've read on this forum, there appears to be quite a few folks that are more than capable and would prefer to do it themselves and save a few bucks.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Blackbird,
I can except a comparison of 'Apples to Apples or Oranges', but when you compare a 60,000$ plus a Thousand dollar charge to pick your 'Vette up at the factory, to a 6800$ Elio, is like comparing an 'Apple to a Diamond'.

I am proud that you can do that, but most of us here are Penny Pincher, whether by choice or necessity.

It seems as many here have not fairer as well as you have , coming up/down the road of life.

Your Pep Boys idea of storing parts for our Elio I'll address in another post.

I took the Corvette example as first hand experience he has as it really does not matter what vehicle your order from GM, whether it is a top of the line Corvette or a sub-compact Chevy Spark, if you pick it up from the factory you will still pay a destination charge.

Last edited:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I would be happy if they had an after market store on line, so you could view and have your favorite accessories delivered to your home with "do it yourself " installation instructions. If the folks building the wiring harness do their job correctly, nothing should be that difficult for the average person to install. You could pay with PayPal or a credit card, or add it to your Elio credit card. Those that are unable to install themselves, could bring the item to Pep Boys and have them install it for a predetermined installation fee, or hourly labor rate. Just my opinion. From what I've read on this forum, there appears to be quite a few folks that are more than capable and would prefer to do it themselves and save a few bucks.

This idea is pretty much what EM discussed in their blog just a few days ago:
  • Can I get a sunroof/moon roof/back up camera/etc.?
The short answer is yes. We anticipate having as many options as you can think of; almost anything that can be found on an existing car or motorcycle today. Many of these options will be available through the Elio After-Sale program. The After-Sale program allows you to get creative on what you want on your Elio that can either be installed when you first buy your Elio, or at any time in the future by simply ordering and installing it (or having us do it for you). We also expect there to be a significant aftermarket product offering. The motto for the aftermarket is if there is demand, there will be supply. So, your imagination and the imagination of others will determine what will be available for the Elio!

http://blog.eliomotors.com/top-3-website-faqs-72514/

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I took the Corvette as merely a first hand example he has as it really does not matter what vehicle your order from GM, whether it is a top of the line Corvette or a sub-compact Chevy Spark, if you pick it up from the factory you will still pay the destination charge.
Goofyone, I accept that, but we're talking , here, of picking up our Elio from the Elio factory, not a 60,000$ 'Vette from GM.

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Goofyone, I accept that, but we're talking , here, of picking up our Elio from the Elio factory, not a 60,000$ 'Vette from GM.
OOps! !t Looks like I hit a nerve with this post, as Z posted the only 'Like', Bless her heart, and no outer commit has been posted since. I'll push this a little further, Had we not, the Little People , the Tax payers in this country, bailed out GM, from Sure Bankruptcy, With Out Our Consent, unwillingly, by our government.
Had it not been for our unwanted, bail out, there would be no 'Vett's nor Volts'. to buy.
Had it not been for our Unwilling support, how much would your 'Vettte or Volt' have cost??
You may not have financed your GM product, thru a bank, but we the little people did.
Just something to think about.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OOps! !t Looks like I hit a nerve with this post, as Z posted the only 'Like', Bless her heart, and no outer commit has been posted since. I'll push this a little further, Had we not, the Little People , the Tax payers in this country, bailed out GM, from Sure Bankruptcy, With Out Our Consent, unwillingly, by our government.
Had it not been for our unwanted, bail out, there would be no 'Vett's nor Volts'. to buy.
Had it not been for our Unwilling support, how much would your 'Vettte or Volt' have cost??
You may not have financed your GM product, thru a bank, but we the little people did.
Just something to think about.
I'm sticking with this crazy idea that no one has the right to give me freedom. That is a gift of God. Quick, someone please find me to quote that backs me up on this before they charge me as being political. LOL

Top Bottom