• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Usa Today - Money Article And Video

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I thought anything produced in July or later in any given year was automatically titled as the next years model ???
Why? Tradition? Is there any logical reason for this to remain so? After all, the Elio breaks with tradition so why not the way they are dated? Since they are not competing with traditional cars, why should they stick to any of the other traditions? Just asking but I bet it is a "male" way of thinking that has absolutely nothing to do with logic. In fact I remember when new models arrived under wraps and every new vehicle was unwrapped during a certain time of year. This was a marketing ploy and nothing more. So tell me, WHY I should not get a 2015 Elio that is produced during the 3rd quarter of 2015! :-) Z

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Z, if I understand your question, yes something along what you said. During the first production year, they satisfy all reservations AND make some fleet vehicles too. Perhaps with fleet vehicles, they could have a target with some organization for 25 vehicles, and if they delivered 15 or 40, might not be a huge thing. If there's say 50 organizations, EM would have some play perhaps if they under-produced.

I hear ya Ty. Maybe it'll be a combination, since they probably don't have an up-to-the-hour tote board of the latest total reservations, and EM won't want to turn away reservations. "Since we are at 38,000+ reservations on ______, we'll go with 2 weeks from today and end the reservations at 11:59pm on ________, as we anticipate a slight increase in daily reservations for these last 2 weeks." And again, this 40,000 number is just pulled from the air and my memory, I'm not sure that we could get a specific number from any of the 25 Elio employees at this time. :rolleyes: ;)
Sounds reasonable enough to me. They will probably just want to be close to some
Why? Tradition? Is there any logical reason for this to remain so? After all, the Elio breaks with tradition so why not the way they are dated? Since they are not competing with traditional cars, why should they stick to any of the other traditions? Just asking but I bet it is a "male" way of thinking that has absolutely nothing to do with logic. In fact I remember when new models arrived under wraps and every new vehicle was unwrapped during a certain time of year. This was a marketing ploy and nothing more. So tell me, WHY I should not get a 2015 Elio that is produced during the 3rd quarter of 2015! :) Z

Why? Tradition? Is there any logical reason for this to remain so? After all, the Elio breaks with tradition so why not the way they are dated? Since they are not competing with traditional cars, why should they stick to any of the other traditions? Just asking but I bet it is a "male" way of thinking that has absolutely nothing to do with logic. In fact I remember when new models arrived under wraps and every new vehicle was unwrapped during a certain time of year. This was a marketing ploy and nothing more. So tell me, WHY I should not get a 2015 Elio that is produced during the 3rd quarter of 2015! :) Z

Z, Ford can't possibly sell a 2014 vehicle now with Chevy showing 2015 models. "I don't want a year old car that's new" Elio will probably lable them 2016 since they are "futuristic".

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sounds reasonable enough to me. They will probably just want to be close to some

Z, Ford can't possibly sell a 2014 vehicle now with Chevy showing 2015 models. "I don't want a year old car that's new" Elio will probably lable them 2016 since they are "futuristic".
But don't you see, we are not competing with Ford or Chevy. This is a whole new ball game. To me they should treat it as such. If it is built in 2015, it is a 2015 model. If it is built in 2016 it is a 2016 model. We should not care about what Ford and Chevy are doing. No matter what, everyone will know the Elio is a new beginning created by someone who isn't afraid to buck tradition. Those year numbers have been created by marketing in the past. Let them go! I dare you! :) Z

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
But don't you see, we are not competing with Ford or Chevy. This is a whole new ball game. To me they should treat it as such. If it is built in 2015, it is a 2015 model. If it is built in 2016 it is a 2016 model. We should not care about what Ford and Chevy are doing. No matter what, everyone will know the Elio is a new beginning created by someone who isn't afraid to buck tradition. Those year numbers have been created by marketing in the past. Let them go! I dare you! :) Z
You know I just used those two as examples. Everyone does it. It would be nice if it were required to label each vehicle based on when it was manufactured.

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My 2003 100th Anniversary Harley Davidson Fat Boy was made in July of 2002. (99 years after HD was formed) :confused:
My 2004 HD Sportster was Made in August 2003. (100 years after HD was formed) o_O
Guess which one is remembered for the 100th year of production?:rolleyes:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
40,000 is in my inexperienced opinion an achievable and reasonable number for the first year of production. I will be encouraged If they cut off reservations at that number since it will tell me their heads are not completely in the clouds. :D
I'm totally guessing here, but;
I think you'll find they won't cut off reservations until next year sometime, since they'll likely want more than a 50k production rate per year. I'm basing that on what minimum volume I think is required to get the unit cost down to the stated goal levels.
There is an odd chance they'll cut at 68k units, depending on when that's reached, just because that was stated at one time. They also stated a commitment to provide all reservations in the first year.
However, I suggest this, since we're currently expecting between 40k and 60k, reservations this year, depending if the engine developments and other milestones generate a lot more interest, EM could start to plan on two shifts and allow the reservations to go up.
I'm just saying that the eventual limit will be some multiple of the production rate per shift. Usually that's some number, then the second shift is somewhat smaller, and third smaller than that. It's all dependent of the various capacities of the available facilities. Since they can rent more space fairly easily at this point, it's very difficult to know what the eventual cutoff could be. But I'm guessing at least between 40k and 85k units given the other statements from EM.
But you can guess that a shift capacity has to be preset a lot earlier than other decisions. Say by the end of first quarter next year. Cutoff of the reservations could be planned after that time, but not before, as a guess.
That was just production planning. Investment requirements are a whole other can of worms. I think you can guarantee enough investment can be acquired to put at least one shift into play. But if they get the full $185m in loan guarantee's, they can easily do more.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My 2003 100th Anniversary Harley Davidson Fat Boy was made in July of 2002. (99 years after HD was formed) :confused:
My 2004 HD Sportster was Made in August 2003. (100 years after HD was formed) o_O
Guess which one is remembered for the 100th year of production?:rolleyes:
If you tell me the Fat Boy then it will simply prove my point. The date limitations are a marketing tool and all you guys have willingly bought into them. Why do you allow yourselves to be used like that? You are all so brain washed you can't even conceive of someone doing it differently and getting away with it. Hello! What is wrong with this picture? :-) Z

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
IMO, Elios made in 2016 will be identical to any Elios produced in 2015, therefore reservation holders will all receive 2016 model year Elios. They then may make minor tweaks for the 2017 model year, and advertise those improvements as new to model year 2017. Makes sense to me.
If that is the case then maybe I should write Paul Elio and ask him to please let my Elio be a 2015! The rest of you can have yours as a 2016. :-) Z

Top Bottom