• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Vehicle Options While Waiting For Your Elio

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just saw a posiability today. A 95 Sonoma with the 2.2?? and a 5 speed . 198000 miles for 2300$.. Anybody know what kind of actual MPG these get in and 80% highway envronment?? Might roll the dice , was purchased by a "car guy" for his grandson. Grandson did'nt like the manual, go figure on that one ! Gonna go drive it tomorrow.

I used to own a '94 Sonoma (1st year of the body style). same 2.2, 5-speed and extended cab. I had 232K miles in it when it died. Blown head gasket. I had put a bed cover and a low restriction exhaust on it (2" from the cat back) which gave it a bit more power on the hills. If I was careful My mpg's were around 27-30. Best of 32. It had been very reliable.

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
To counter some of the FUD dogging hybrids, all the car companies selling them offer very long transferable warranties on the battery. Usually providing full replacement if it fails. No proration.

Replacement improved battery packs for the Insight are about $2000. For the first Prius they are under $2000. For the second gen Prius they are about $2500-3000. Prorate those costs over the 10+ year pack lifespan and it's not a big deal.

I agree that the extra prime mover makes hybrids more expensive than is really practical. Unless you buy used and cheap like I did. I think the Chevy Volt is the best of all the electrics or hybrids, but the $40,000 price tag makes it a non-starter. That's why I'm all-in for the Elio: It's all Gas-Powered Awesome! :D
I guess that is my fear with the hybrids, the battery life expectancy is almost exactly the same as the age/mileage vehicle I could afford to buy. So if I found a $3000 car and had to replace the $3000 battery a week later I just gt $crewed. BUT if the highway mileage didn't go down much without the battery pack, and I just had to deal with crappy acceleration, I might still consider buying one that already has a bad battery for a steal and drive it as-is. My commute is all highway with hardly any slowing down, so if it accelerates like a freight train, I don't care much.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I guess that is my fear with the hybrids, the battery life expectancy is almost exactly the same as the age/mileage vehicle I could afford to buy. So if I found a $3000 car and had to replace the $3000 battery a week later I just gt $crewed. BUT if the highway mileage didn't go down much without the battery pack, and I just had to deal with crappy acceleration, I might still consider buying one that already has a bad battery for a steal and drive it as-is. My commute is all highway with hardly any slowing down, so if it accelerates like a freight train, I don't care much.

That is an interesting concept. You got me to thinking...how difficult would it be to actually do some research and rebuild the battery pack yourself?

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That is an interesting concept. You got me to thinking...how difficult would it be to actually do some research and rebuild the battery pack yourself?

I have yet to see throngs of Prisusses (Preii?) Preusesussess?
Anyway, i have yet to see piles of batterless Preii clogging the junk piles.
I think the problem is overblown.
If it wasn't for the Elio, i'd likely have bought one.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think Renault has the real battery solution, offered in their Twizy electric tandem "urban" car. You buy the car for about $13K, and you lease the battery. Drive it like you stole it, kill the battery, and a call to your dealer gets you a replacement delivered, fully charged and instslled. No questions asked.

Sounds like the traditional advice to "lease deprecating assets" to me.

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I guess that is my fear with the hybrids, the battery life expectancy is almost exactly the same as the age/mileage vehicle I could afford to buy. So if I found a $3000 car and had to replace the $3000 battery a week later I just gt $crewed. BUT if the highway mileage didn't go down much without the battery pack, and I just had to deal with crappy acceleration, I might still consider buying one that already has a bad battery for a steal and drive it as-is.
A new battery pack is $2000, not $3000, for cars in the $3000 price range. $5000 total for a moderate-mileage first-gen Insight with a fresh battery would be a good price, especially if it's a manual. The trick is to find one that's already had the battery replaced, and not with a Honda battery. Otherwise, you can still get very good mileage battery-less on the highway depending on where you are (your profile doesn't say). If you are in central/south Florida or Kansas, virtually no reduction in highway MPG. Appalachia? You're screwed.

Sounds like the traditional advice to "lease deprecating assets" to me.
Sooo... then why not just lease the whole car?

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With a minimum of test equipment it shouldn't be too difficult, but you'd have to find a supplier of replacement cells for a reasonable price. Then there is the matter of having DEA Jack-boots on your door-mat when you show up in the system buying any quantity of lithium-ion cells.

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A new battery pack is $2000, not $3000, for cars in the $3000 price range. $5000 total for a moderate-mileage first-gen Insight with a fresh battery would be a good price, especially if it's a manual. The trick is to find one that's already had the battery replaced, and not with a Honda battery. Otherwise, you can still get very good mileage battery-less on the highway depending on where you are (your profile doesn't say). If you are in central/south Florida or Kansas, virtually no reduction in highway MPG. Appalachia? You're screwed.

Sooo... then why not just lease the whole car?
$5000 for a decent car isn't bad generally speaking, but at my economic level a $3000 car that suddenly turns into a $5000 car isn't an inconvenience, it's a thermonuclear DISASTER! But if the car runs without the battery, not such a big deal. My commute is 110 miles, almost totally FLAT along the shore of Lake Huron. So battery shouldn't make much difference anyway right? I have seen a few bad-battery priusii and such, but not a lot. I guess I expect the battery in my laptop to only last so long, so likewise the same lithium-ion tech in a car. But maybe I do over-worry the problem. Unfortunately I still have to finish paying off the dumb pontiac G6 my wife HAD to have before I can think about anything else.

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With a minimum of test equipment it shouldn't be too difficult, but you'd have to find a supplier of replacement cells for a reasonable price. Then there is the matter of having DEA Jack-boots on your door-mat when you show up in the system buying any quantity of lithium-ion cells.
The cells in Insights and Prii are nickel-metal hydride (NiMH), not lithium-ion.

It's a pain in the butt, apparently, to rebuild a pack and requires some good equipment and a boat-load of time, patience, and attention-to-detail. Results are OK to total failure. Doing it wrong has led to two fires I know of. Still, some people have made a hobby of it. Other's have made a business of it.

Sets of used and new "sticks" are readily available on feeBay and elsewhere. The Insight and Civic Hybrid use 20 sticks, each stick has 6 D-sized cells welded together. Those sticks are bolted into the pack I mentioned before.

If you really want to get the full poop on the Insight and HCH, start here at Insight Central.

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The cells in Insights and Prii are nickel-metal hydride (NiMH), not lithium-ion.

It's a pain in the butt, apparently, to rebuild a pack and requires some good equipment and a boat-load of time, patience, and attention-to-detail. Results are OK to total failure. Doing it wrong has led to two fires I know of. Still, some people have made a hobby of it. Other's have made a business of it.

Sets of used and new "sticks" are readily available on feeBay and elsewhere. The Insight and Civic Hybrid use 20 sticks, each stick has 6 D-sized cells welded together. Those sticks are bolted into the pack I mentioned before.

If you really want to get the full poop on the Insight and HCH, start here at Insight Central.
Ah, I looked up the battery construction, but only took a cursory glance at the first few references and they said Li-Io, guess I shoulda read further. Ni-Mh is a little less finicky about charging and such, and less prone to explosion and fire. Thanks for the clarification.

Top Bottom