• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Vehicle Warranty

How Much Mileage would You put on Your Elio in What Amount of Time?

• Total voters

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For a LOT of Us, We would Reach and go Past the Warranty in 3 Different Time Periods. 1. In Less than 1 Years Time. 2. In 1 Years Time. 3. In 2 Years Time.
Because of the Amount of Driving that We Do on a Regular Basis.

So, if we Drive Over 40,000 Miles in 2 Years Time and then either the Engine or the Transmission or Any other Major Part of the Vehicle Fails, then What are We to do at that point?

This is what I'm getting at. And a LOT of other People are Curious about this as well.

Several have already provided you good comments as to purchasing an extended warranty if you need it or to simply realize that once a warranty is up you take ownership of fixing the vehicle yourself.

My only additional comment is that a 3 year 36 month warranty is not unusual and many car companies have offered the same. This is not a slight on elio nor should it be considered an extreme burden on the buyer. It simply is what it is.

Another thing to keep in mind is that warranties have very little to do with how good the vehicle is. It is instead mostly a marketing ploy by the manufacturer to entice you buy their vehicle. Heck, for the cost of the elio vs. a $20,000, $30,000, $50,000+ vehicle a 3 year warranty is well beyond what you might get on those vehicles because you could simply replace your elio instead of taking out a 8 year loan.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For a LOT of Us, We would Reach and go Past the Warranty in 3 Different Time Periods. 1. In Less than 1 Years Time. 2. In 1 Years Time. 3. In 2 Years Time.
Because of the Amount of Driving that We Do on a Regular Basis.

So, if we Drive Over 40,000 Miles in 2 Years Time and then either the Engine or the Transmission or Any other Major Part of the Vehicle Fails, then What are We to do at that point?

This is what I'm getting at. And a LOT of other People are Curious about this as well.
Why Are You Writing Everything Like a Book Title? Or German Nouns?

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Extended warranties are usually provided by 3rd party companies who are betting your car WON'T break down during the period of coverage. But with a brand new car, the actuarial data for that doesn't exist. So it may be a while before extended warranties are available.

If you can sock away $100/ month for repairs, you will have $3,600 available at the end of the warranty period (not, of course, if you're a high mileage driver).

Around 1977 or so I had a Porsche 911 S 2.2 litre screamer that was unbelievably expensive to repair -- and broke often. I once calculated that it would have cost over 7 times the price of the car to replace all the parts -- and that was just parts cost. One of many good reasons to hate VW -- they haven't changed in that regard. My 1998 Passat was just as expensive. I hope Elio doesn't go this route, and that they make drive train replacements available for about $2,000 or so, ready to just drop in. Other component assemblies are really cheap -- I hope they hold the line on those as well. Except I'd pay extra to R&R that bloody dash. Not just the speedo -- the whole instrument unit!

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Extended warranties are usually provided by 3rd party companies who are betting your car WON'T break down during the period of coverage. But with a brand new car, the actuarial data for that doesn't exist. So it may be a while before extended warranties are available.

If you can sock away $100/ month for repairs, you will have $3,600 available at the end of the warranty period (not, of course, if you're a high mileage driver).

Around 1977 or so I had a Porsche 911 S 2.2 litre screamer that was unbelievably expensive to repair -- and broke often. I once calculated that it would have cost over 7 times the price of the car to replace all the parts -- and that was just parts cost. One of many good reasons to hate VW -- they haven't changed in that regard. My 1998 Passat was just as expensive. I hope Elio doesn't go this route, and that they make drive train replacements available for about $2,000 or so, ready to just drop in. Other component assemblies are really cheap -- I hope they hold the line on those as well. Except I'd pay extra to R&R that bloody dash. Not just the speedo -- the whole instrument unit!
You had a 911S? Cool, so did I; mine was a 71 I picked up in 73 because it had been hit in the right rear corner and the hit drove the axle into the tranny; I picked it up really cheap because the insurance company totaled it. I was lucky, I just happen to be an import mechanic at the time that worked at a shop that worked on just about anything imported. Did all the body work and mechanical in 3 months, cost me just about nothing and I ended up with a Signal Orange 911S that I drove for about 9 months, then sold to pay the shop back for the parts. Still made a profit after.

BaldGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Really a great idea. I think I'll start as soon as my townhouse is paid for even before I receive my Elio. Will be interesting to see if the escrow can keep up with the maintenance. Plus, in time, might be enough to buy a new Elio.

Also, since there is no Pep Boys near me, I got a feeling I'll be paying for all maintenance from day 1. But I been paying all maintenance for my truck since 1997, so nothing new there.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Really a great idea. I think I'll start as soon as my townhouse is paid for even before I receive my Elio. Will be interesting to see if the escrow can keep up with the maintenance. Plus, in time, might be enough to buy a new Elio.

Also, since there is no Pep Boys near me, I got a feeling I'll be paying for all maintenance from day 1. But I been paying all maintenance for my truck since 1997, so nothing new there.
EM has said that if there isn't a Pep Boys in your area that would have something else set up with a different vendor.
The closest Pep Boys for me is 140 miles north in Puyallup, WA about a 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive one way; there are no Pep Boys in Oregon (I'm close to Portland)

BaldGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My closest one is only 44 miles away. But to me, that's a long ways. I'm a very local person. Barely ever leave town. My luck, to quality, the nearest one will need to be 50 miles away. :)

Top Bottom