• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Video: Paul Elio Presents To The Sec

raptor213

Elio Addict
Reaction score
FWIW, this dated report (https://www.eliomotors.com/insider-...ng-at-forced-induction-and-tdi-in-the-future/) suggests Precision Turbo had recommended a supercharged solution to Paul Elio rather than a turbocharged one. The significance? Without being driven by exhaust gases like a turbocharger would, a supercharger is a simple bolt-on accessory to the engine block. No extra intake tubes. No heat exchanger precariously mounted in front of or underneath the standard radiator assembly. No extra oil coolant lines. No more need for a modified exhaust manifold or routing of exhaust down-pipes. No need for superfluous flanges, gaskets, seals, clamps, etc.

If the battery re-location to the rear trunk area frees up the space for the installation of a supercharger or the many components of a turbocharger system, I'd be onboard.

Despite the added complexity, I'm actually a fan of the turbocharger solution, as it's simply harnessing and reusing energy that would otherwise be wasted. It's thermomechanical recycling at its best, whereas a supercharger presents a contradictory conundrum in that it is itself an engine-driven accessory, drawing power from the engine that would otherwise be directed to the transmission to spin the wheels, in a convoluted effort to make the engine run more efficiently and create more power.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
FWIW, this dated report (https://www.eliomotors.com/insider-...ng-at-forced-induction-and-tdi-in-the-future/) suggests Precision Turbo had recommended a supercharged solution to Paul Elio rather than a turbocharged one. The significance? Without being driven by exhaust gases like a turbocharger would, a supercharger is a simple bolt-on accessory to the engine block. No extra intake tubes. No heat exchanger precariously mounted in front of or underneath the standard radiator assembly. No extra oil coolant lines. No more need for a modified exhaust manifold or routing of exhaust down-pipes. No need for superfluous flanges, gaskets, seals, clamps, etc.

If the battery re-location to the rear trunk area frees up the space for the installation of a supercharger or the many components of a turbocharger system, I'd be onboard.

Despite the added complexity, I'm actually a fan of the turbocharger solution, as it's simply harnessing and reusing energy that would otherwise be wasted. It's thermomechanical recycling at its best, whereas a supercharger presents a contradictory conundrum in that it is itself an engine-driven accessory, drawing power from the engine that would otherwise be directed to the transmission to spin the wheels, in a convoluted effort to make the engine run more efficiently and create more power.
Or... said another way, a Turbo charger restricts the flow of exhaust to push more air through the engine which is then restricted again... damn, no free lunch either way!

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've looked up what it would cost (minus labor) and at $2K you would loose money.
But if you're really going to do it for that price, I want to know all the specs, and what it includes before I turn the keys over to you.
I remember reading awhile back, to save money, the E will only come with one key, so you'll have to add into the accessory the cost of the second key.
I hope the key works both for the trunk and ignition. (wink)

Husker1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've looked up what it would cost (minus labor) and at $2K you would loose money.
But if you're really going to do it for that price, I want to know all the specs, and what it includes before I turn the keys over to you.

I believe what Doug was implying, is that he would purchase a turbo if it was 2 grand. Not that he would install yours.

Doug McDow

Elio Addict
Reaction score
May be I should have said. If it costs $2,000.00 to have it done, then I would pay the $2,000. It would be worth it to me. Not sure if it would be worth $3,000.00 for me to have it done.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Most of my experience with superchargers is with the Miata, I have been looking into both supercharger and turbocharger solutions for a while. On previous cars I had only dealt with turbos. Both have their complexities. Both can use front mounted intercoolers to make more power, the Cosworth/Flyin' Miata supercharger comes with one. Small low boost turbos tend to leave them out. Both use oil supplies to cool/lubricate the turbines but I see more superchargers having self contained oiling systems which seem simpler than sharing engine oil. One replaces the exhaust manifold, the other replaces the intake manifold. With superchargers you need to worry about an extra belt (or one longer belt), pulleys, belt slippage. I think turbos add more heat to the engine bay than a supercharger.

The superchargers tend to have more linear power but less of it, so they make a small motor generally feel bigger. The turbochargers make less power down low but really kick you in the pants when you hit the power band. With the location of the intake manifold on the Elio being against the firewall, I think it would be pretty hard to cram a supercharger back there. You could remote mount it with intake piping leading back there like you would with a turbo, but then packaging becomes tough since you have to find a place for the supercharger near the belt but not on top of the exhaust header.

I think for a motor as small as the Elio I would go with the kick-in-the-pants turbo, more power overall and when it hits you grin from window to window :D

Top Bottom