• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Waffling On Base Price. Can They Make $6,800?

What will be the actual base price of the Elio (excluding taxes,delivery and paperwork)

• $6,800

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • $7,000

Votes: 11 10.1%
  • $7,200

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • $7,500

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • over $7,500

Votes: 17 15.6%

• Total voters

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tesla's Model 3 is supposed to be around $35k before the tax credit, so it may end up a bit cheaper than the bolt (and will probably be quite a lot nicer). But that's not due out 'til 2018.

Electric powertrains are the future is still a true statement. I think the Elio fits nicely into the gap until the battery cost drops enough to become mainstream.
I'm hoping for the SRK to be my first affordable fun urban commuter EV.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hear ya, the Tesla's range of 200 miles would work well, but the $70k+ price does not. :D 95% of the population won't spend that much money on a car.

The Chevy Bolt is not available now, but if/when it is available, it's still $30k+ after a tax credit.

There's a lot of if's there... so it looks like there is not a vehicle available now for the masses that is all electric and has a competitive range with ICE vehicles.

And per our resident EV-owner and expert Sethodine, the actual range depends on the driving conditions, based on certain electrical components that are running, the outside temperature, etc. Hopefully the range would be an avg of 200 miles. :eyebrows:

Don't forget the current car-makers pricing structure: that "as low as $30,000" Chevy Bolt will get quickly up to $34k+ with the options that most folks want.
If the Elio is half the price for half the car, then an Ev-Elio would be about half of that Bolt or Model3 or about $17k. If I win my bet that Elio is built soon, I'll then bet that the Ev Version could be out as soon as year3 or 4. Or at least conversion kits. I can imagine the Chinese coming out with a bolt-in conversion kit for the Elio. There would be no import limits on such a thing.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Then too, I see little harm to both Tesla and Elio marketing to partner on an EV-3wheeler. But I haven't examined that market breakdown to any degree.
As a guess, if Elio made a $17k E-Elio, that would hurt Tesla much more than a 3wheel Tesla at $17k would hurt Elio.
large_thumbnail.jpg
large_thumbnail2.jpg

Last edited:

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tesla's Model 3 is supposed to be around $35k before the tax credit, so it may end up a bit cheaper than the bolt (and will probably be quite a lot nicer). But that's not due out 'til 2018.
And keep in mind that Tesla will only build top-end, maxed out models for quite a while, to recoup their development costs. So even once they start selling, you won't be able to get a base model for another year or more.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Indeed, the sliding canopy and swooped fenders? TAKE MY MONEY!!!
Just as I found with my Atlantric, the fenders adds enormous space for batteries etc, but makes entry and exist more difficult. There are better solutions to the door problem. But I'd want something in exchange for modeling that in 3d. ( or at least my family to allow me the time :()

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tesla mentions a 700 mile range coming soon. Even a 200 + mile range EV is workable with Tes;a's network of Charging Stations being built across the country that brings the battery up to 80% in 30 minutes.......about the time I need for a pee stop, a slice of pie, and cup of coffee.

My understanding is that If I was driving a Tesla there is no fee to top off the battery...........so pie/coffee would be my primary traveling expense..........now if I only could afford a Tesla.
fix the prostate, skip the caffeine, and lighten up on the sugar, and the new $35k tesla might be within reach!!

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If the Elio is half the price for half the car, then an Ev-Elio would be about half of that Bolt or Model3 or about $17k. If I win my bet that Elio is built soon, I'll then bet that the Ev Version could be out as soon as year3 or 4. Or at least conversion kits. I can imagine the Chinese coming out with a bolt-in conversion kit for the Elio. There would be no import limits on such a thing.
May as well buy a made in the USA Elio EV conversion to keep the made in America theme going.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
fix the prostate, skip the caffeine, and lighten up on the sugar, and the new $35k tesla might be within reach!!
I'm keeping a close watch on Tesla's Model 3 and Power Wall progress. I can ignore everything on your list but the caffeine. The next new vehicle I buy will no doubt be my last.........so money is no object.........providing it's affordable.

Top Bottom