• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Waffling On Base Price. Can They Make $6,800?

What will be the actual base price of the Elio (excluding taxes,delivery and paperwork)

• $6,800

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • $7,000

Votes: 11 10.1%
  • $7,200

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • $7,500

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • over $7,500

Votes: 17 15.6%

• Total voters

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Neither will an Elio. So I'm not sure what your point is?

Seriously? Remember, my handle is "Gas-Powered Awesome", but even so I'm smart enough to understand that an electric vehicle with only 80 miles of range (Leaf, Spark EV) is good enough for most Americans. The vast majority of Americans drive less than 100 miles a day. 80% drive less than 50. Something less than 1% drives more than 200 a day. Those 99%+ of Americans are the people I'm talking about. :usa2:

I'm not buying an EV anytime soon, but I'm not blinded to facts by my ideology.

My point ---- Did a search recently on recharge stations on I10.
There were none between Kerrville and El Paso. ---- about 500 miles (I'm about 50 miles west of Kerrville.)

Hmmm?? --- "Gas-Powered Awesome" ??? --- You like double orders of beef and cheese burritos / w chili and cheese sauce, rice and re-fried beans with a Bud Light???

On a serious note.....
There are times when I don't start truck my every day or even every other day. So it has 84,000 miles on it, I've owned it for 54 months which averages about 51 miles per day. So that puts me in that statistical majority. On the other hand since I live out in the country when I do start it up I plan my trip to take advantage of a bunch of stops.
Yesterday, for example, I had my truck serviced, went to an electronics store and picked up a D-Link N300 Wi-Fi Router, and to a tool store to get a wrench set. About 280 miles. But like I said, it fits into your averages.
Just shows that statistics don't mean a bunch when stacked up against the real world data that contributes to the data sets that make up your statistics.

edit: PS... I don't see myself in an EV either. But if I was a townie it might fill the bill.

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
William, is there no electricity between Kerrville and El Paso? Teslas have on-board chargers (though practically it really needs 220 Volts).

I love Tex-Mex food! But not so much burritos. And I'd prefer a Shiner Bock over the Bud. :)

It's a bit funny to me that you are interpreting your anecdotal situation as "real world" data and the statistics as not representative, when in-fact the exact opposite is true. That's a common mistake. Statistical data is real world data!

If your truck only had 200 mile range, I bet you are smart enough that you would still be able to get done what needed to get done, even if it took more trips.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
William, is there no electricity between Kerrville and El Paso? Teslas have on-board chargers (though practically it really needs 220 Volts).

I love Tex-Mex food! But not so much burritos. And I'd prefer a Shiner Bock over the Bud. :)

It's a bit funny to me that you are interpreting your anecdotal situation as "real world" data and the statistics as not representative, when in-fact the exact opposite is true. That's a common mistake. Statistical data is real world data!

If your truck only had 200 mile range, I bet you are smart enough that you would still be able to get done what needed to get done, even if it took more trips.

My "anecdotal situation" is factual. And the ownership and mileage are accurate. What you are calling "Statistical data" would be based on a large number of reports of mileage v. length of ownership reports. Incidentally, the service adviser told me that I needed to have my front brake pads replaced very soon. I figure 84K on original pads is not too bad.

If my truck had only a 200 mile range I would not have purchased it. It wouldn't meet my needs. And much as I like it, I wish it had a larger gas tank. Mine is only 26 gal and they didn't make the 36 gal available 'till the next model year.

Don't know about Teslas. No one buys them out here. No idea how long it takes to charge. Just saw that they don't have Tesla charging stations in that 500 mile stretch.

I still miss Genesee Cream Ale from when I was a volunteer fireman near Rochester. But Tex-Mex is good.

Gregw

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Who says it will stay at $7,300? No reason it won't change again. If he has to go with all private investors the price will increase much more. They have a very long way to go before they hit the road.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It looks like the $7,300 price is the price of the Elio unless you commit to purchase at which point your Elio will cost $7,000 + a bunch of fees and taxes and options and... But, I'd say the 7 people who guessed $7,000 win the chicken dinner from this poll!
Without considering the cost of money, Mine will cost $6,750 after my 50% match with the option of reducing that to $6,625 if I upgrade to $1,000 while the 25% match is still available.

So from this point of view, they are under their $6,800 Target price.

Plus options, taxes, charges and fees of course.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Who says it will stay at $7,300? No reason it won't change again. If he has to go with all private investors the price will increase much more. They have a very long way to go before they hit the road.
While not impossible, it is quite unlikely since additional price increases would void the commitment to purchase the vehicle at $7,000 which is the purpose of setting the price in hopes of securing the ATVM loan. You are not agreeing to purchase your Elio under a higher base price.

However, after production of it's price committed reservations, the huge demand and limited production capacity might make surcharges or price increases more likely.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I doubt it will change again. It looks like they needed to finalize a price for the car in order to get the ATVM loan approval. This has to do with proving profitability and the ability to repay the loan in a timely manner. The Department of Energy doesn't like wishy-washy goals and dreams, they wanted hard math. So Elio gave them a number. I think Elio would probably get into some kind of legal trouble (fraud) if they raised the price after getting the loan. More likely they are aiming high to get the loan in the first place.

Top Bottom