• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Waffling On Base Price. Can They Make $6,800?

What will be the actual base price of the Elio (excluding taxes,delivery and paperwork)

• $6,800

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • $7,000

Votes: 11 10.1%
  • $7,200

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • $7,500

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • over $7,500

Votes: 17 15.6%

• Total voters

Dustman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tesla , the gold standard of rolling fleshlites , has been plagued by so many complaints from buyers that Consumer Reports has concluded that the model S has too many problems to recommend it . Stock fell 7% on the news .

“It’s one thing to have a quirky, problematic car that sells 20,000 units per year to wealthy people who probably own at least one backup vehicle,” the report concluded. “It’s quite another when Tesla scales up to its 2020 projection of 200,000 U.S. Model 3 buyers, who may not have the luxury of being so forgiving.” - Consumer Reports

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/21/business/consumer-reports-stops-recommending-the-tesla.html
ROFL - did you actually say "gold standard of rolling fleshlights"? That is gold! LOL

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
If Tesla and Apple products both have a 98% customer approval rating, along with award winning sales and follow up customer service ratings those companies are apparently doing something right. It's difficult for me to be critical of their products and business models. You must have had a negative experience with Tesla and Apple.
They've proven many time that you can make numbers read any way you want to.
That 98% could have been taken from a small group of people.
They have also proven many times that when a company has a number of just high praise reviews of their product; most times they are written by people associated to the company (like employees). So that 98% approval really doesn't mean much.
And Apple products do have a lot of issues, but they have their users so ingrained and hijacked with their product they have no choice but to stay with it.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They've proven many time that you can make numbers read any way you want to.
That 98% could have been taken from a small group of people.
They have also proven many times that when a company has a number of just high praise reviews of their product; most times they are written by people associated to the company (like employees). So that 98% approval really doesn't mean much.
And Apple products do have a lot of issues, but they have their users so ingrained and hijacked with their product they have no choice but to stay with it.
Tesla's 98% customer satisfaction rating was determined by whatever standards Consumer Reports uses for their ratings.

I'm an Apple user and don't feel hijacked. Damn that Apple, Inc.!

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I really getting tired of the EV crowd hijacking threads.
EVs have some uses. Nice and quiet on a golf course. Good shopping carts for disabled people.
But when you get down to it, EVs will not come into their own until they achieve Nikola Tesla's dream of broadcast power.
Then you will have some battery for use when the broadcast goes down or you are out of range.
The rest of the time you will run off of the broadcast.
Until then you are wasting about half of your potential energy lugging batteries around.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
EVs have some uses. Nice and quiet on a golf course. Good shopping carts for disabled people.
But when you get down to it, EVs will not come into their own until they achieve Nikola Tesla's dream of broadcast power.
Then you will have some battery for use when the broadcast goes down or you are out of range.
Until then you are wasting about half of your potential energy lugging batteries around.

I think wireless induction charging from the roadway will happen before over-the-air broadcasting happens. Technically it's the same technology, but we still haven't been able to attain the 200-mile range that Tesla supposedly achieved. I think the current confirmed record for wireless energy broadcasting is about 20 miles, but the < 3-feet between roadway and car would be cheaper and easier to accomplish on a large scale.

That said, I love my EV (Nissan Leaf). I've replaced a $120 per month gas bill with a $25-35 per month hike in my electric bill. It is better than every other car I've ever had, except when it comes to long-distance driving. And that is why I'm getting an Elio :) My wife and I were really tenative about buying into the whole electric car thing, but now that we're owners the advantages seem like a no-brainer.

We will continue to rely on gasoline for those long commutes until battery technology or infrastructure change, but I really won't miss gas once it goes.

/hijack

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The EV crowd may be tired of your narrow views about EVs too (not me). I like the whole idea behind EVs and helping to develop the technology with incentives to get more of these fuel saving vehicles on the road. William, the good news for you is it helps to guarantee there is an adequate fuel supply for your Elio ICE in the future.

I learn from Sethodine's sharing his positive experience with his families EV. I appreciate the EVer's point of view. EV's are currently an and vehicle for some commuters not for everybody nor is the Elio concept. When the right EV hits the market that fits my styling, performance, and budget needs I'll buy it in a flash. Perhaps an Elio ZEV in my future.

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think wireless induction charging from the roadway will happen before over-the-air broadcasting happens. Technically it's the same technology, but we still haven't been able to attain the 200-mile range that Tesla supposedly achieved. I think the current confirmed record for wireless energy broadcasting is about 20 miles, but the < 3-feet between roadway and car would be cheaper and easier to accomplish on a large scale.

That said, I love my EV (Nissan Leaf). I've replaced a $120 per month gas bill with a $25-35 per month hike in my electric bill. It is better than every other car I've ever had, except when it comes to long-distance driving. And that is why I'm getting an Elio :) My wife and I were really tenative about buying into the whole electric car thing, but now that we're owners the advantages seem like a no-brainer.

We will continue to rely on gasoline for those long commutes until battery technology or infrastructure change, but I really won't miss gas once it goes.

/hijack
Multiple Likes!

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Please gush away! I find it educational and support the need for both. I may own both options in 2016-17. The Elio ICE and either the Arcimoto SRK ZEV, the Electrameccanica SOLO ZEV, or Corbin Motors restyled/engineered Bird ZEV (Sparrow 2+ ).

Top Bottom